One UI 3.0 Advanced Messaging not working.
DisassemblyEdits
Enthusiast - Level 2

I bought my Galaxy Note 20 Ultra on Dec 11. Today, Dec 18, My phone received the new One UI 3.0/Android 11 update. Everything went seamlessly. The only issue that Im having now is that when I opened the Messages app native to Samsung it asked if I would like to setup the new advanced messaging feature so ofc I did. I selected "Next" and then received an error message:

"Oops. Looks like something
went wrong.
There was an issue updating you to Advanced
Messaging.There are a few reasons that might be
causing the issue:
1) Advanced Messaging may not be available if you're on a
corporate or government account. Contact the account
administrator if you have more questions.
2) You may have a feature that blocks messaging enabled for
your phone number.You'll need to turn off this feature in order to
be updated to Advanced Messaging. You can either manage
these settings through My Verizon or by giving us a call at 800-
922-0204.
You'll continue with standard messaging if you can't be updated
to Advanced Messaging."

So I tried to troubleshoot with no luck. Could not find any such feature that could possibly be preventing it from working. So I then called Verizon and they troubleshoot the issue to no avail as well. Went as far as clearing all cache and data, disabling the app, restarting phone normally and then in safe mode. Still no luck. Wondering if this feature just isn't supported by Verizon yet and if anyone else had this issue on their Note 20 Ultra after the OneUI 3.0 update? Or if it is even working on other peoples Note 20 devices. If it is working I will consider a factory reset but would rather not do it unless I know for sure that it is supported or if someone else had a solution. 

Labels (1)
79 Replies
SLOULY86
Enthusiast - Level 3

Is this a joke Verizon support? We  want samsung messages chat feature, not verizon message+, otherwise we wouldn't be here asking for a solution.

0 Likes
DaEXfactoR
Enthusiast - Level 2

I don't mean to be rude. But I don't think a lot of users want to use the Verizon Message+ app. Are you saying the Message+ app is the only way to have access to messages with chat features 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

@DaEXfactoR

Apologies for any confusion, but the reason we are asking to use Message+ is not to force you to use it forever, but because it is part of troubleshooting to see if you have any issues with texting or doing anything else that you wanted to do with your texts. That can help narrow it down if the issue is related to the app, the network, or even the phone itself, just to name a few possible results. This is why it's important to use the steps that we provide when you have an issue with your device, as it helps both of us to ensure your device and services are working correctly. Does that help explain what you wanted to know?

0 Likes
Trainsauce
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have a factory unlocked note 20 ultra, direct from samsung.  RCS adv messaging is not supported for these devices?  Only carrier locked phones?

Neither samsung nor google message apps have chat options.

I am on the latest firmware.

Zombinati
Enthusiast - Level 1

Screenshot_20201219-143359_Messages.jpg

Screenshot_20201219-102407_Messages.jpg

 ADVANCED MESSAGING!!!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

It's never a good time when something goes wrong. Thank you for the visuals, Zombinati. Besides the roadblock with the advanced messaging feature, can you make/receive calls, send/receive messages, and use your Verizon data without any issues? 

0 Likes
KARTUR31
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have the same issue. Verizon appears to be clueless on how to fix it. One Verizon agent even put me through to Samsung when we know it's a Verizon problem. I'm surprised such a big company such as Verizon can be so inept to roll out an update without having the system set-up correctly. Hopefully, they will release a fix soon. 

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for reaching out to us. Getting the help you need is a must and we are here to assist you. Please meet us in a Private Note for assistance. We will stand by. - Albert

0 Likes
Becks03
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm having the same issue. I called Verizon and got the run around. The lady had no idea what I was talking about. Then I called back again a couple hours later to see if I could maybe get someone that may know something...nope she just told me to do a factory rest, and keep restarting my phone. I ended up calling Samsung and the lady at Samsung said be on the lookout of another update to fix this issue. I asked her why is the point of putting a new feature on the phone, and the feature not work. The lady at Samsung didn't even know about the advanced messaging.

Bt427
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am also having the same issue . My previous phone was an S9 And I was able to use Advanced messaging. I think Verizon is not supporting it for any phones other than the Galaxy S9 and 9 Plus. Verizon need to fix this issue immediately!!!

Tc0n
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have the exact same issue and have gone through the exact same steps with Verizon support. No luck... Ironically though, the Google messages app advanced messaging works wonderfully! But I don't want to use Google messages, I want to use Samsung messages.

Scholato
Enthusiast - Level 1

I just got my phone yesterday, did all updates and received the same error.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Scholato, we are concerned to hear you are having trouble with your new device. We are happy to assist in any way possible. To clarify, what type of phone do you have? Have you attempted any troubleshooting steps such as restarting your device?

-Joshua 

0 Likes
Waxyburns85
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have the same exact problem and it's a shame. My assumption would be that they want you to use their messaging app because all of this functionality works just fine with Verizon messages +. Big red strikes again... 😅

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We are getting more and more replies from customers in this thread who had the issue, Waxyburns85. Many are stating that Advanced Messaging now works as promised. Please let us know if you are still having this issue.

GeorgeS_VZW

0 Likes
BJBBJB
Enthusiast - Level 3

You have GOT to be kidding me! I thought Verizon finally realized some of us using their flagship phone might want to use the Samsung messaging app and want RCS.  I saw the notes on the upgrade for RCS and said....finally!   

But really the answer is going to be you have to use Verizon message + to get this?  As the prior poster said, it is listed as an upgrade feature.

Did all the Verizon Android 11 beta testers really open the message app, see "OOOPS there is a problem"  and figured that is OK?!

I sure hope this is fixed ASAP....  this was a huge part of the upgrade.  So my other phones in group, two S20 plus phones will have same issue?

BJBBJB

Cloud324
Enthusiast - Level 1

Also having this issue and hoping for a resolution soon.  Contacted support to check on activating Advanced Messaging on both Note 20 Ultras on my account and was told that it is currently only supported on S9/S9+ and that an error was given when they tried to activate it on my account from their end.  It seems like a pretty big feature to completely ignore on Verizon's part.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We understand software updates are done in order to enhance the performance or add new exciting feature to your device. Sadly at this moment, Advanced Messaging is not available for the Note 20. We recommend keeping an eye on this website link for the latest software updates http://spr.ly/6604HRGxi - ChristianP_VZW

0 Likes
MarqM
Enthusiast - Level 1

You guys clearly don't know what you're talking about... 🤦‍♂️

0 Likes
KEVVAR3
Enthusiast - Level 2

I installed Verizon's update to get this feature, as Verizon described it would be an update for my phone. How can I access it?

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for reaching out to us KEVVAR3. We have been made aware of the issue and wanted to know if you are still having problems with your device?

0 Likes