One UI 3.0 Advanced Messaging not working.
DisassemblyEdits
Enthusiast - Level 2

I bought my Galaxy Note 20 Ultra on Dec 11. Today, Dec 18, My phone received the new One UI 3.0/Android 11 update. Everything went seamlessly. The only issue that Im having now is that when I opened the Messages app native to Samsung it asked if I would like to setup the new advanced messaging feature so ofc I did. I selected "Next" and then received an error message:

"Oops. Looks like something
went wrong.
There was an issue updating you to Advanced
Messaging.There are a few reasons that might be
causing the issue:
1) Advanced Messaging may not be available if you're on a
corporate or government account. Contact the account
administrator if you have more questions.
2) You may have a feature that blocks messaging enabled for
your phone number.You'll need to turn off this feature in order to
be updated to Advanced Messaging. You can either manage
these settings through My Verizon or by giving us a call at 800-
922-0204.
You'll continue with standard messaging if you can't be updated
to Advanced Messaging."

So I tried to troubleshoot with no luck. Could not find any such feature that could possibly be preventing it from working. So I then called Verizon and they troubleshoot the issue to no avail as well. Went as far as clearing all cache and data, disabling the app, restarting phone normally and then in safe mode. Still no luck. Wondering if this feature just isn't supported by Verizon yet and if anyone else had this issue on their Note 20 Ultra after the OneUI 3.0 update? Or if it is even working on other peoples Note 20 devices. If it is working I will consider a factory reset but would rather not do it unless I know for sure that it is supported or if someone else had a solution. 

Labels (1)
79 Replies
SLOULY86
Enthusiast - Level 3

Screenshot_20201227-212452_My Verizon.jpg

0 Likes
BJBBJB
Enthusiast - Level 3

That is a distinction without a difference.  It sure looks to me that the intent was to make it operational with Android 11 plus that patch.  

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We appreciate your feedback and we want to ensure that your device as well as, its text messaging, works correctly at all times. Software and app updates are intended to enhance the performance of the device and apps too and not cause the phone and app user to be inconvenienced. - RobertC_VZW 

0 Likes
Cwill2g3
Enthusiast - Level 1

It's still not working note 20 ultra user 

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Sorry to hear about the concern with Samsung Messages, Cwill2g3. I definitely want to figure out the best path forward with you. To clarify, this app is being updated with a phased approach (currently planned for launch throughout January at the time of this writing) and not all phones may have access to advanced messaging currently through Samsung Messages right now. The best thing to do is ensure that both the operating system and the app are fully up to date so you are ready to go when the app update is available for your particular phone. Here's how to update your apps if needed: http://spr.ly/6607Hnr9L You can go to settings, about phone, software update to update the operating system. Does this clarify? Also, have you tried out Verizon Message+ as an alternative? 

0 Likes
Tjyoungman
Enthusiast - Level 1

Been trying to figure out as well. My wife's phone on sprint (s20+) has an extra settings menu enabled in the chat settings section. And hers works perfectly fine. I can send her a message and nothing shows on my phone for read delivered ect. However her phone will show if it's been delivered or read on my device. So something is working there for that to work. 

0 Likes
Anon7499

@Tjyoungman

I am having the exact same issue you described where my girlfriend cannot text me but I can text her. I can get the Google messages app to activate the RCS features but the default Samsung application will not and has issues receiving messages. Furthermore I am on Android 11 and UI 4 and this issue still persists. I have contacted Verizon for a total of 2 hours trying to resolve this and they don't seem to understand that I cannot activate advanced messaging in the default app that came with the phone. Not only that but if others are sending messages and I don't know well what's the point of a phone?

0 Likes
BJBBJB
Enthusiast - Level 3

Unless Verizon decides to turn this on, I just don't think this will work. Have to use Verizon+.  I believe there is an FAQ that says this won't work for Verizon and another carrier. 

Just like Samsung call and message continuity. A great feature I cannot use on my S20 note ultra and Samsung wifi only TabS7+.   This would be very convenient for me also.

Would love to hear this has changed...

0 Likes
user100746

So, I just went through the process of getting this issue fixed.  Unable to send pictures through any texting app to one or more recipients.  Unable to text more than one recipient at a time.  Had to waste almost 4 hours troubleshooting the same things over and over.  Once transferred to tier 2 support, the tech realized the "Picture Messaging" service on my account was not turned on.  Now everything works as it did when I was using Sprint/T-Mobile two weeks ago.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Anon7499, we want to make sure you are receiving all of your important text messages. Allow us the opportunity to further investigate. Can you please provide us with the Make/Model of yours and your Girlfriends devices? Are you only having trouble receiving text messages from one particular person or multiple? When did this concern start? 

-Sylvia

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you so much for bringing this to our attention Tjyoungman. We never like to hear that you are having trouble with your service but we are here to help. What was the additional menu option or step that was listed and available on your Wife's phone? Does it show any updates available on your device?

0 Likes
Alylove44
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am having this issue as well. I received the update and my advanced messaging does not work. I received an error when first selecting "get started" and have not seen the error since than. My Samsung messages looks the exact same as before the update,  I do not see any chat features and have tested this with another Verizon user as well as friends from other carriers. Many have explained to me how it's supposed to look when chat features are enabled. Am I missing something?

BJBBJB
Enthusiast - Level 3

@Alylove44 This is where I am at too. I no longer got the error message and clicked on agree or whatever, and now I can go into chat settings.  But I see no change in the app. Ability to attach larger files, typing notification etc..

BJBBJB 

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello, we are here to aid in any way that we can. Please send us a Private Note to continue.

0 Likes
SLOULY86
Enthusiast - Level 3

I think we going to have to wait longe, since no one  knows anything about it.

0 Likes
SLOULY86
Enthusiast - Level 3

The chat settings is on but it doesn't work with google messages. We would like to know if the "chat feature, advanced messaging" on the galaxy note 20 Ultra works with google messages as RCS).

Jihoonie

I just checked and it looks like VZW may have "turned on the switch" to this feature. I went into Samsung messages settings --> Chat Settings and got to a user agreement page instead of the "oops..." page. Now it seems to be active. Unfortunately i cant actually test out functionality yet since everyone i know owns an iPhone

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We are always here and ready if you are having any issues with the messaging, Jihoonie. Let us know how everything works once you test it out. We will be on standby. AmberF_VZW

0 Likes
Ugh1985

It allowed me to setup after resetting the app, making sure Wi-Fi was off and being in a decent 4g area. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We definitely want to make sure that you are able to send and receive text messages without any issues, and we will be more than happy to help. Please tell us, are you able to send/receive text messages even if the Advanced Messaging feature is not enabled on the Samsung Messaging app? Could you please download the Verizon Message+ app on your device and let us know if you experience any issues after setting it up as your primary messaging app?
GeovannJ_VZW

0 Likes