Phone keeps restarting or just turns off, battery at full.
Sondy69
Enthusiast - Level 1

I still have not found an answer for my phone restarting or just turns off while it's sitting in my cradle.  Smiley Sad  The only solution VZW gave me was to do a factory reset, which I did and I'm still getting the same results or to upgrade to a new phone.  Well, I already spent $250 on this phone, why do I have to spend another $200.  And if I did buy a new/different phone, who says that the software updates won't do the same thing as here?  I don't want to break down and get an iphone but at least with updates from them, you know if won't mess up because of "apps" that are ready for the update.  I'm really disappointed in Android and Verizon for not handling the software better.  Anyone have a useful suggestion?

0 Likes
Re: Phone keeps restarting or just turns off, battery at full.
Wildman
Legend

Sorry to hear you are having issues with your device... Could you answer a few questions for me and I will see if I can help.

1. Does the rebooting only happen when you have the device hooked up with the dock or has this been a regular issue all the time?

2. After you hard reset the device do you install the apps that was on the device before the reset or have you tried the device without any 3rd party applications installed?

3. You spoke of spending another 200.00, what are you referencing to?

4.  I noticed the statement about software updates, did you start having the issue after a update?

Now as for the statement about Verizon and Android being on top of the software better I think you are viewing it from the wrong angle...  There is a number of things that could cause issues with the device and the one thing that a number of users overlooks, the app developers are not contacted by Android or Verizon and do to this no one can verify that the developers have followed all methods to keep their application supported for a new released os.

I believe this is why more issue seem to come after a OS update, this doesn't make this Verizon's or Androids  issue but the developers.  But this is the downside to wanting a open OS and if they restrict everything like other companies it would change the whole interest that users likes.

0 Likes
Sondy69
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi Wildman,

Thanks for responding to my post.

To answer your questions...

1.  No, it will do it randomly anytime, whether I have just the charging cable connected, or it sitting on the cradle, or even just sitting idle on my desk.  I don't notice it until the animation starts with the sounds. 

2.  After I hard reset, I left everything factory until it started restarting again.  Then I figured it wasn't any apps because I had not additional apps or live wallpapers going.  I even cleared out my micro sd card because I thought maybe something in there was conflicting.  Nope. 

3.  I speak about spending $200 again because the phone that I would upgrade to after June (when my new every 2 is active).  Here is the response that Verizon first gave me when I first posted this problem.

https://community.verizonwireless.com/message/762448#762448

4.  I started having these problems only after the last update, Gingerbread.

I think it's very hit or miss with the apps available from the android market.  Can anyone just put an app up and charge people for them even if they don't work with certain OS's?  Atleast with Apple, you're pretty sure the app will work with the OS.  I believe Apple aproves the apps that are on their market, well atleast that it will perform with the OS available. 

Anyway, I try to keep my Android apps to the bare minimum and usually just what is available on the Verizon apps.  But like I said before, it doesn't matter for this problem because it's still happening. 

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

It seems that all devices that received the Gingerbread update that did not originally come with the OS on release day has usually ran into some issues, not sure if it because of all the UI differences on so many different brand devices or simply the OS code.  From time to time I really lean towards the Bloatware also causing compatibility issue with the OS but the only way to remove those is to void your warranty.

You really can't really compare Apple with Android because of the open side of the OS, also Apple only have basically one device to program their software for.where Android have a few hundred that all runs different UI, different Apps installed at released and custom features and all these are factors that could cause incompatibility issues.

As for the apps being hit and miss and developers can sale you a app that doesn't support the latest OS...  If you bought a app a year ago and the device gets a update, you already bought the apps and Android and Verizon cant change that.  I have changed  devices a few times and I have software that only worked on the device I no longer own.  This is just what happens when you deal with a OS that changes regularly.

0 Likes
Sondy69
Enthusiast - Level 1

So, do you have any suggestions on what I should do with this fascinate?

I feel like if I get a newer model, this might just happen again after they have several updates. Or if I buy a older new model, will verizon just stop supporting them after they get too old and have newer models, thus no more updates and then I'm stuck with old technology.  Uggg..

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

Carriers and manufactures usually only support a device after a specific life time  but there isn't a preset time but the devices popularity usually has some barring on how long they decide to support the device.

I got my girl a Samsung Vibrant from T-Mobile and so far the device has only received 2.2 (Froyo) update and it is suspected not to receive 2.3 (Gingerbread).. This is one of the fun things about technology, it changes so fast and support can be very limited if the device looses its popularity.

As for what kind of suggestion that would work for you, I would see if you can receive another replacement to see if you have any better luck or maybe you could investigate the customizing community for a solution because if the firmware is the issue it can be hit and miss solution on a stock device.

0 Likes
imageek0264
Enthusiast - Level 2

...ummm, why do you still have the Fascinate??!

I was having the same issues & then some.

On 05/15/2011, when the Froyo update hit this phone, I thought it would be a marvelous thing.  Instead, it made the phn crappier than what it already was.

The update literally made the Fascinate a piece of "JUNK."

On 07/31/2011, I went to my VZW store & before I could tell the Rep what my problems were (I told her what phn I had, first), she stopped me & gave me three phones I could pick from to replace it.

Verizon, evidently knew the Fascinate became a piece of junk after Froyo.

I can't remember what the other two phns were, but I choose the SAMSUNG Charge (THAT's another story...ughhh!).

I can't believe you still have this phone.

I'm sorry for your troubles, but I would insist on another phone.  Go to your store & tell them it's gone on long enough.

Insist on a new phone.

PS, I just gave up on the CHARGE (although Gingerbread did fix a lot of the issues), I was too fed up to continue w/the sluggishness 😞

I'm a Razr owner & I'm Ecstatic !!!!

Oh! Em! Gee!

LOL!

0 Likes
imageek0264
Enthusiast - Level 2

Also, Best Buy is running some awesome deals, right now...you might want to check them out.  I did!

0 Likes
cmcbee2006
Enthusiast - Level 1

I had the same problem with my Samsung Fascinate shutting it self off and sometimes not coming back on for hours to days. After doing factory settings and everything else all verizon would do is send me a replacement of the same phone which was a preowned one. They said my only other option was to upgrade my husband line and get a new one. I was very unhappy to hear them say that.

0 Likes
Sondy69
Enthusiast - Level 1

cmcbee2006 wrote:

I had the same problem with my Samsung Fascinate shutting it self off and sometimes not coming back on for hours to days. After doing factory settings and everything else all verizon would do is send me a replacement of the same phone which was a preowned one. They said my only other option was to upgrade my husband line and get a new one. I was very unhappy to hear them say that.

I hear you!  Since no one is helping with this phone from Verizon, I guess I'll just have to  hold on to it until I can afford to get a different one.  My upgrade discount comes available at the end of June.  Smiley Sad

0 Likes