Re: Poor signal, Samsung Note 4
nicisageek
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have 2 Note 4's and I am experiencing all of the above, poor battery performance, plus lost GPS signals everywhere, and phone lock ups.  I have wiped both of them numerous times, cleared the cache, replaced the sim cards, taken it to the Samsung Professional in the Best Buy store who reflashed the devices.  This only started after the OTA Update to Lollipop.  Verizon sent me 2 replacement phones, which arrived today.  One of them gets so hot you cannot use the phone because it burns your ear and hand, and the other device has a defective power button on it.  Needless to say these 2 "refurbished" devices are going right back to Verizon.  I think I am getting ready to switch to another carrier and just give these bricks, Note 4's, back. The Verizon reps on the phone always tell me that they are not aware of any issues going on with the Note 4's. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Having reliable working phones is definitely important nicisageek, so I completely understand how you feel. I can certain understand how frustrating and upsetting this has been for you. Software updates are meant to improve your phone not cause you headaches.

It's concerning to hear of all the issues you are having with the phones. Are you having all the same issues on both Note 4? Are they both heating up to the point it's uncomfortable to hold? I suggest taking the phones into a VZW store for a hands on evaluation of the devices.

JohnB_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
TeachLearn

Just recently my mom upgraded to Note-4 and then started having signal strength problems.  I researched and tried different things and what ended up working for us was logging into the Account and adding the free HD Calling feature.  I added it from my home computer then called my mom within 5 mins and it was a definite improvement.  Instead of just 1 tiny bar she said she has 3 bars and our conversation was worlds different on my part.  Prior I could barely make out anything she was saying.  I had her hang up and call my Aunt who also had the same complaint when called from my mom's new Note-4 and she also said it was much much better.  I thought both phones would have to be HD Calling but apparently not because this made a huge difference for us.  FYI during these test calls my mom WAS connected to her home WIFI so we will wait to see what happens if she has to use the HD calling out side the house but she's been fine outside so far.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We always want you to have the best possible signal. I'm so excited you resolved the issue and the connection is much better now. We look forward to positive feeback when she is not connected to the WiFi. We will make sure the great service continues, just reach out to us if you need assistance. Thanks again for sharing this wonderful news.
DeloresK_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Doing_work_son
Contributor - Level 1

Hopefully the weak signal on my Note 4 and my wife's Note 4 gets fixed. On KitKat we always had either full bars or 4 bars at home, always. Now, for at least the past 3 months or so, the signal constantly drops from 4 bars all the way down to one bar, even if we are standing in the same place of the house where we used to receive 5 max bars. We used to have 4 to 5 full bars anywhere within our house, all the time, it was super rare to see anything less than 3 bars.  Again, on KitKat this never happened, both phones always had very strong signals. Now they both constantly cycle from 4 bars down to one bar, all day long, anywhere around our house, when they used to be locked to a full 5 bars or 4 bars. It seems after looking at stats from the app LTE Discovery, which I recently downloaded to see what band our phones are using....I see that the phones constantly jump between LTE (band 13) and XLTE (band 4).....this is killing the battery life of the phone. Verizon, please, this weak signal issue has been mentioned for months now all over the forums by many customers, provide a fix please! (and a patch for Stagefright 2.0) Unless there has suddenly been some sort of work going on for the past 3-4 months, daily, at towers near my house (zip 85268), that I'm not aware of, thus causing this issue?? Just typing this sitting in the exact same spot, my bars have been cycling from 4 bars all the way down to 1 bar and then usually sit right around 3 bars most of the time (for around 3-4 minutes) and then cycle again, usually dropping down to 1 or 2 bars. Very rarely do we see 4 bars now and maybe once in a blue moon we will see 5 bars on our Note 4's any more while at home, if we do, it's short lived. It'd be nice if band 13 stayed active while in my house as the much lower 700mhz frequency is better able to penetrate walls, compared to the XLTE 1700mhz frequency. Can a rep please relay this information to a higher up to have the issue looked into and hopefully fixed? Shouldn't the phone stay pinned on the stronger data signal, rather than bounce between both bands? Outside XLTE is fine along with LTE, both bands give me pretty strong 4 or 5 bars, unless I'm in an area where Verizon's coverage map is not so great. But when I'm inside a building, shouldn't band 13 (700 mhz) be locked as it provides much greater wall penetration, thus a better signal and less battery drain? I see band 4 XLTE pop up in LTE Discovery when I'm in buildings, the signal drops down usually to 2 bars, then switches to band 13 LTE, and the signal will sometimes rise to 4 or even 5 bars and then switch back to band 4 XLTE and again, I'll see a weak 1 or 2 bar signal. This issue didn't seem to be present on KitKat. I hope to see some sort of resolve to this issue, hopefully the next update released (android 5.1.1, which by the way is super late to the party, as the other 3 large carriers have pushed that update out to their Note 4's, has a fix for this cycling).

0 Likes