Preparing for froyo
ca1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Do I need do anything special before I download the update?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Preparing for froyo
KinquanaH_VZW
VZ Employee Emeritus

Verizon Wireless will begin pushing Android 2.2, Froyo, to the Samsung Fascinate tomorrow. Enhancements include support for Adobe Flash Player. Customers can visit www.verizonwireless.com/fascinatesupport for more information and download instructions for the software update. Customers will be able to download the update manually starting tomorrow by going to Settings > About Phone > Update Phone.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
DonM
Contributor - Level 2

Make sure your phone is fully charged and on the charger when the updates starts. I understand it is about 193MB.

0 Likes
techlife2

100296 KB.....

0 Likes
DonM
Contributor - Level 2

techlife2 wrote:

100296 KB.....

OK, that sounds better. I was a little concerned about a 200MB download, 100 is a little easier to take.

0 Likes
nickjr
Contributor - Level 3

ca1 wrote:

Do I need do anything special before I download the update?

No - just check daily because you might not get it on the 21st, they are doing it by sections
0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

yeah, if the number in the screenshot is correct, that's roughly 98MB.  So assuming an average of 1Mbps, that'll take 13min to download OTA if my math is correct.  Don't go nuts if  you check tomorrow and it says update not found.  It'll be pushed out to random groups of users at a time and may take a full week for everyone to get it.  

As stated above, make sure you have a full charge or are plugged in.  Turn wifi off and make sure you have a good signal, otherwise it could take a while.  It may also be a good idea to confirm that your contacts are backed up to Google, Backup Assistant, or you can export contacts stored locally on the phone (go to contacts, hit the menu button and choose import/export, export to sd card).  You can backup sms via various apps in the market such as SMS Backup & Restore.  MyBackup Pro is a paid app but can also backup sms, mms, calls logs, etc.  None of this is required but it's better to be safe than sorry.  There's always a chance that existing data or settings on your device may conflict with the 2.1 update.  With the changes made between 2.1 and 2.2, I'd suggest a factory reset prior to the update but you can always just use that as a last resort in the event that you run into problems.

0 Likes
KinquanaH_VZW
VZ Employee Emeritus

Verizon Wireless will begin pushing Android 2.2, Froyo, to the Samsung Fascinate tomorrow. Enhancements include support for Adobe Flash Player. Customers can visit www.verizonwireless.com/fascinatesupport for more information and download instructions for the software update. Customers will be able to download the update manually starting tomorrow by going to Settings > About Phone > Update Phone.

0 Likes