Problems with Fascinate after 2.2 upgrade
wolf_j10

A few weeks ago I upgraded my phone to 2.2 with the OTA update. The same day I was typing a text and the screen changed to  odd colors with white lines running through it. The only way to get it to work again was to take the battery out and restart the phone. It's done this at least once a day every day since I upgraded. A few days ago the phone started to be vibrate randomly in odd patterns. The screen would go black and after a few minutes it would come back on as if I had just turned on the phone. Now if I try to change the ringer volume on the phone it does the same weird vibrating thing with the black screen to follow. My phone also feels very sluggish in general.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Problems with Fascinate after 2.2 upgrade
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader
You have to open each application listed under the "all tab" individually to see if the "clear cache" button is white and has cache available for you erase.

Settings > applications > manage applications > all tab > press the menu button > sort by size. Go through each application individually and press the clear cache button where you find it. Internet/Browser, Market, games and other applications are the usual suspects.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Smokie11
Contributor - Level 1

You are going to need your phone replaced, however you can try this before your phone is replaced.

1. Remove battery for 10 minutes. Try again.

2. Remove all apps that did not come with your phone, remove battery for 10 minutes, Try again.

3. Do a Master Reset/ Data wipe. (It's a favorite around here.)

After you try this and it all fails, get your phone replaced. Good Luck.

0 Likes
SFObrien
Contributor - Level 3

The OTA update was corrupted in some way.  Take it to your local store and either request a replacement or see if they can attempt to reinstall 2.2.

There are other ways to reinstall but instructing you how is frowned upon here.

0 Likes
DionM_VZW
Verizon Employee

wolf_j10 wrote:

A few weeks ago I upgraded my phone to 2.2 with the OTA update. The same day I was typing a text and the screen changed to  odd colors with white lines running through it. The only way to get it to work again was to take the battery out and restart the phone. It's done this at least once a day every day since I upgraded. A few days ago the phone started to be vibrate randomly in odd patterns. The screen would go black and after a few minutes it would come back on as if I had just turned on the phone. Now if I try to change the ringer volume on the phone it does the same weird vibrating thing with the black screen to follow. My phone also feels very sluggish in general.

Great suggestions from the community again! Thanks!!

wolf_j10, if this issue is not yet resolved, please notify me via personal message, including your mobile number, a number I can call you back on, and your best hours. I'll be happy to assist. Thanks!

0 Likes
Bubbles423
Enthusiast - Level 2

Same thing happened with mine, except with the ED04 update.  The 2.2 OTA update worked fine (minus a few things that I can overlook) but after doing the OTA ED04 update, the phone rebooted and got stuck on the opening screen where it just has the Samsung logo.  Took it in to the Verizon store and the update fried my system somehow.  So, replacement phone is headed my way.   

0 Likes
Problems with Fascinate after 2.2 upgrade
ckane777

I absolutely HATE this new software update!! I havent had any problems with it up until maybe 2 weeks ago. It constantly freezes, have to do multiple force closes on almost EVERY app i have installed, i have to constantly do a battery pull in order for my phone to unfreeze, i takes forever to reboot, when i try to lock my phone it does a screen captire instead (which i hate by the way) and now when my phone reboots it cuts back on but in safemode and all of my added apps are gone. Worst update for a phone by far. Very disappointed!!When is Verizon going to reply to all of these comments about this horrible update?? I have woke up the last 5 days in a row to my phone in safe mode once again, and have to reset all of my preferences. I have to charge my phone every 4 hours and it's messed up my messaging app by adding "@" symbols at the end of my texts. It takes forever to access the internet. I bought this phone because I have had samsung phones in the past and they have always offered the best technology and performance and now I want to throw it out the window. This update has made my phone useless!!! I bought it over the i phone and now I wish I had purchased it over the fascinate. I spent an hour on the phone with verizon today only to be told they haven't heard of any problems...which is garbage. And was told that they would have to restore my phone back to factory settings and possible loose everything. I want to go back to the previous program..Verizon you need to address this problem. You will lose buisness!!!!

0 Likes
ChristinaB_VZW
Verizon Employee

Hi Ckane777,

I understand the urgency with this issue and your frustration. I am happy to assist you.

I would like to suggest that you clear the cache on the device. If that does not work, I would recommend a master reset. Below I have provided you with the steps on how to complete clearing the cache and the master reset. Please clear the cache as your first step in troubleshooting. 

Clear cache on Fascinate

Select Menu

Select Settings

Select Applications

Select Manage applications

Select “All” at the top of the screen

Select Clear Cache

Master reset on Fascinate

This setting erases all data from your phone, including your Google or other email account settings, system and application data and settings, and downloaded applications. It will not erase current system software and bundled applications, or files stored on an optional installed memory card, such as music or photos. For this reason, please make sure the data on your device is backed up.

Select Menu

Select Settings

Select Privacy

Select Factory Data Reset

Please let us know if this resolves the issues you are having. 

Thank you very much and have a wonderful day!

0 Likes
Herbb623
Contributor - Level 3

Any Verizon rep:

I do the following, per Christina_VZW..

Clear cache on Fascinate

Select Menu

Select Settings

Select Applications

Select Manage applications

Select “All” at the top of the screen

Select Clear Cache

After I select 'All'    I cannot find the 'clear cache' you speak of....  ????

Where is it  ??????

Thanks.

0 Likes
tarheels38
Enthusiast - Level 2

where is the clear cache button on the fascinate.i followed your steps but after the select all,etc,i couldnt find the cache button

0 Likes
randallg

Same here....can't find clear cache either.

0 Likes