Replacement Galaxy Nexus has no sound from earpiece or speaker phone during calls
Jehuty

So like many of you I ran into problems with my Samsung Galaxy Nexus. The one I've currently had for going 8 months now has been flawless until about 2 days ago when it started having the ghost charging issue. So I went into the verizon store the service rep was very understanding ordered me a new replacement picked it up today from FedEX and I decided you to make sure the phone works properly. Activates just fine downloads all my old apps I go to make a few test phone calls there is only static from the earpiece and the same when it is put on speaker phone so I figure hey it might not be fully activated yet give it about 35 minutes still had the same result. Had my friend call me I ask him if he can hear me he says yes but I get no audio from him at all. I have tried 2 factory resets the problem still persists. So here are my options take both phones into the verizon store and have a CSR look at them. I have also tried putting the sim card back into my old galaxy nexus and I can make and recieve calls flawlessly. Anyone care to chime in with advice or suggestions? I really like the Nexus line and if I can at all help it would not like to switch to another phone.

Thanks in Advance.

0 Likes
Re: Replacement Galaxy Nexus has no sound from earpiece or speaker phone during calls
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Jeepers! It's no fun having issues with your phone. Jehuty,  I can certainly understand how annoying one-way audio can be. Sorry to hear this issue is occuring with a phone that we recently replaced. Thanks for all of your excellent troubleshooting thus far. I know that you have completed two Factory resets, can I have you try one more reset please http://bit.ly/swCYZF . Once the reset completes, please don't sign into your Gmail account. Complete activation, then test the speaker on the device. Keep me posted!

Thanks,
Pamelaf_vzw
Tweet us @vzwsupport

0 Likes
Re: Replacement Galaxy Nexus has no sound from earpiece or speaker phone during calls
woodslink
Enthusiast - Level 1

Some phones get lint in the headphone jack hole and send a signal that a headset is plugged in when it is not.  This can cause this issue.   Some people clear the jack or blow air in from a canister.  You can also try an app like SoundAbout.

0 Likes
afinley92

I had this EXACT same issue! First Nexus lasted for 5-6 mos, then had ghost charging, then 2/3 replacements I had no sound from Earpiece, only worked with wired headset or Speakerphone. The first one Verizon sent me was the wrong storage option, and the next worked for a week, then they sent me the replacement and that one did the exact same thing. Seems to me to be a problem with Verizon checking to see if their refurbs work properly. Took the 3rd Replacement into Verizon the day it arrived, and show them the problem, they cant replace it in the store, I have to call Tech Support, no problem, that's how I got the current replacement, and they were really nice and understanding. Where I get a little frustrated is I'm paying for this phone bill and I cant even use the phone function on my phone, until Wednesday. So Thursday the issue started. And it's Saturday now. Only 4 more days...I really like the Nexus line, I love it. But as of now it's essentially a paperweight.

Online suggests that the mic/earpiece ribbon wasn't connected properly, and/or is broken, or the headphone jack is broken.

The Hardware tells the software that a headset is plugged in so it sends all audio to the imaginary headset.

Troubleshooting:
3 Factory Resets, on both phones, the one that worked for 6 days and the one that didnt work at all

^^Nothing Worked^^

Was told, elsewhere, to try the App SoundAbout to reroute the audio to the earpiece. It works on the first device for 3-4 calls, which were test calls, then stops working.

Tested same app on new replacement, nada. Nothing, no sound at all.

So I do some research.

<Links removed to comply with the .  Discussion of the hacking of devices including links to such websites are not permitted per the ToS.>

I use this phone for business purposes, there is no way I can keep it if this problem persists, and Verizon, from what I've read, will not replace your phone to one of equal specs or equal price. I can't risk that kind of unreliability/unpredictability with a business line.

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
woodslink
Enthusiast - Level 1

<Post deleted for personal information per the .>

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

My goodness afinley92. That's a lot of trouble for such an awesome device! I know having a working phone is very important, especially when you're using it for business. From what I read, you were receiving a replacement this week. How is that one working out for you? If you continue to run into trouble, I'd highly recommend what Pamelaf_vzw had suggested about trying the reset without logging into your Google account before placing a call. This is a great way for us to confirm whether it's hardware related or possible something tied into your Google account login.

We're here for you, so keep us posted. Thank you
JenniferH_VZW

Please follow us on Twitter @vzwsupport

0 Likes