Replacement Galaxy Note 7 nightmare
TCL2
Enthusiast - Level 2

Trying to get a replacement Galaxy Note 7 mailed to me is an ongoing nightmare.

Today I spent 1 hour 58 minutes on the phone with 4 different people at Verizon. This was the third time I have called regarding the exchange program, with a total of just under 4 hours on hold.

I'm being told that the only way I can receive my new, non-exploding and burning device is in a retail store, due to Samsung policy -

• Regardless of the fact that Verizon is mailing out newly purchased Galaxy Note 7's
  • Regardless of the fact that T-mobile says this as to exchanges:  "... just call us at 1-844-275-9309 and we’ll ship you any device of your choice in our inventory with free next business day shipping."
  • Regardless of the fact that I've spoken to Samsung at (844) 365-6197 and they inform me this is ABSOLUTELY NOT their policy.

This is absolutely unacceptable. I purchased this device on the Verizon website, and received it by mail. I expect to receive my replacement device in the same manner, as going to a Verizon retail outlet is not possible for me.

I have now filed an official FCC complaint (1217967), a BBB complaint (newjersey.bbb.org), will be filing a complaint with the CPSC, and contacting the Attorney General for the state of Texas as Verizon refuses to exchange my potentially dangerous device.

0 Likes
Re: Replacement Galaxy Note 7 nightmare
phxkrausehouse
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am right there with you. I will be filing a complaint with the better business bureau tomorrow against verizon for the same issue. But I'll go one step further.  Today I spent an hour and forty minutes on the phone with verizon. Spoke with 4 people as well. They ordered my replacement devices, but charged me tax on those devices.  $140. Said I'll get it back when I return the recalled ones.

My time is worth money. Your time is worth money. The interest on my credit card I had to put the charge on is money. It is time to file a class action lawsuit against verizon to be reimbursed for the time lost and expense incurred at the behest of their negligence and complete disregard of their customers.

Please keep us informed on how you travel with your complaints and with the attorney general.

0 Likes
allisonc_vzw
Verizon Employee

Having a working phone is important, TCL@tx. I apologize if you feel that this has been a nightmare. The reason that we were waiting on mailing one to you is Samsung and US Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) has asked us not to have customers return the defective devices through the mail.

Since going to a Verizon store is not an option for you, we can certainly mail you a replacement. A procedure has recently been approved by Samsung and the CPSC. We can mail you a out a replacement since you purchased it off our website. Then within a few days of your order you will receive special packaging to place the recalled device in so that you may mail back the recalled Note 7.

To obtain this replacement device I can help you here through DM or you can call customer assistance at 800-922-0204.

AllisonC_VZW

0 Likes
TCL2
Enthusiast - Level 2

"not to have customers return the defective devices through the mail."

I don't care how the return is done. I never got that far in over 4 hours on hold, with 7 different people over the course of 3 phone calls. Absolutely unacceptable.  I will NEVER be calling your [removed] CS line again. That is time I'll never get back, and for treating a customer with a potentially dangerous device in this manner I'll be proceeding with my complaints.

You actually want to help me get a non-exploding phone? Let me know when the [removed] thing is in the mail.

Profanity removed as required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

Message edited by Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
Brkandjfk

Allison,

What about business customers?

My rep had me ship back my Note 7, and sent me a Note 5 "to use until the Note 7 replacement is available".

Now I see on my invoice and account that I was billed for a new device, with zero information about the Note 7 being refunded (it was received mid last week) and zero info about the Note 5 being a temporary device.

Store based and phone based customer service cannot help me (can't see my account), and my rep hasn't responded (in almost a week). Escalated CS call got someone able to see my account but tells me the Note 5 was sent out as a worry free guarantee based purchase.

I'm coming close to the 2 week point on this Note 5, so won't be able to return it soon, but I've heard nothing.

Staying in the Note 5 is not an option.  I have zero interest in paying $50 more for a Note 5 than I paid for the Note 7, and I'm sitting on hundreds of dollars worth of accessories for the 7...

I don't even know who else to call.

Are there Note 7s left to even send out?

How do I get the account corrected so it doesn't show my service and charges based on the Note 5 activation date? Etc.

0 Likes
TCL2
Enthusiast - Level 2

Update: BBB has assigned [removed] to my complaint.

Will update again on Monday with info on my complaints to the Texas State Attorney Generals office, as well as the CPSC.

Personal information removed as required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

Message edited by Verizon Wireless

0 Likes
MGS9500

I will join the group who have spent hours wasting time trying to replace my phone. I purchased one from Verizon online, and was told to go to a local store.

I called and was told that they are not taking appointments.

I was told the exchange would take at least 2 hours. And, be prepared to wait up to 3 hours as they are busy.

I called customer service, and after spending 45 minutes on the phone, the very pleasant person told me I was lucky that there was a replacement. Then I was told to live with my current phone as long as possible, until the situation improves.

So, I filed a complaint with Consumer Protection Safety Commission, noting that Verizon was not providing a reasonable and effective method of return for a device that has been recalled. This is a direct violation of the consumer protection safety act.

I have received a response  from CPSC and forwarded added information.

I did ask if a new one could be sent, and then I would return the old one. I was told by three people, no!

So, if you would expedite a method of sending me the phone by mail, I will return the one I have via any method deemed acceptable. No one at customer service seems to be aware of or able to perform this option.

You can DM or call.

Verizon customer service does not recognize the mail option and I do not need to call them again to be told information that is not correct.

So, I am awaiting your assistance.

0 Likes
pherson
Champion - Level 1

If a rep swings by again, they will dm which takes forever. They do not call out. That's protocol. If you want assistance you will have to call or go in a store. Otherwise you will be stuck waiting.

0 Likes
TCL2
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yup. I messaged AllisonC_VZW yesterday at 1pm. Slightly over 24 hours later, no response.

0 Likes
HCKYMA83
Enthusiast - Level 1

I also have had a nightmare of a time trying to get my Note 7 replaced with much time wasted. I've spent time in 3 stores and on the phone with CS. The agents in the store keep telling me I can call CS to get my phone and screen protector mailed to me. I call CS and they say that since my device was purchased more than 2 weeks ago it's not an option for them to mail it to me. The recall was originally announced by Samsung 3 days after I bought my device. Despite the dates and the agents in store telling me to call CS for a replacement (since the stores run out of stock ASAP) the CS agents on the phone refuse to send me a new device via USPS. This has been such an extremely frustrating experience.