S6 wireless charging not working with Marshmallow
charlesh7
Enthusiast - Level 3

I am having a problem with wireless charging after the update to Marshmallow.  The phone is saying that it is charging and the wireless charger indicates it's charging, but it never charges.  I tested it today with 80% charge and after 2 hours it has dropped to 74%.  Before Marshmallow it would have charged it to 100% in that same amount of time.  Charging with a cable works fine though.  When I look at battery usage, the two main process using the battery are Screen (36% of battery use) and Android OS (26% of battery use).  Further, it is not resetting the time on battery.

I have tried rebooting the phone and clearing the system cache.  I guess now I will have to go through the entire process of a factory reset AGAIN.  That is a pain since you have to download everything again.

I have noticed on some other forums where other people are having this same problem.  It is ONLY wireless charging that I am having problems with.

Is there any other suggestions on how to fix it?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: S6 wireless charging not working with Marshmallow
charlesh7
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have resolved the issue.  The problem was a battery monitoring app (Ampere).  After doing some further searching I finally found several reports that battery monitoring apps can cause devices to not charge properly when they are running Marshmallow.

Since I removed the app, wireless charging works fine.  If anyone else has a problem with Wireless charging then check to see if you have any battery monitoring apps installed.

I am going to mark this message as the correct answer since I started the thread and this fixes the problem for me.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
GreenSteele

I want to chime in as well regarding this issue.  I am also having issues with my wireless charging since updating my Galaxy S6 to Marshmallow.  I have never had issues using my Galaxy wireless charger until I updated my phone a few days ago.  Since then, it will behave as if it's charging, but it is actuality not.  The Battery statistics show that it's still on battery, even though it's placed on the wireless charging station.  I've restarted the phone several times and have power cycled the wireless charger to see if that would help but it has not.

Clearly, there is an issue with the Marshmallow update that is preventing the wireless charging from working properly and needs to be investigated. 

0 Likes
HighDesert
Contributor - Level 2

FWIW: Wireless charging is still working for my S6 on Marshmallow, same as before.

I'm charging with a "Yootech AM1030".

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

charlesh7 - When you download the latest software it should improve your device. Let's get your battery charged up and keep it charged. Does the same issue occur if you turn off your device and fully charge it? The last thing we want you to do is a factory reset.
.JacobV-VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
charlesh7
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yes, it never fully charges after sitting on the wireless charger after 6 hours.  And that is with the battery at 80% when I put the phone on the charger.  Before the software update wireless charging worked great, I could sit it on the wireless charger at night with the phone on at 20% battery and when I would get up in the morning it would be fully charged. 

0 Likes
charlesh7
Enthusiast - Level 3

I tested it with the phone off and it charges fine.  Must be something with the software causing it not to charge.  I am going to try charging it in Safe Mode next to rule out any third party apps that could be causing the issue.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We appreciate you chiming in GreenSteele. I'm sorry you're having issues with your wireless charging . Have you tried to use this feature while your phone is in safe mode? This will let us know if its a 3rd-party app that is causing the issue?

KinquanaH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
charlesh7
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have resolved the issue.  The problem was a battery monitoring app (Ampere).  After doing some further searching I finally found several reports that battery monitoring apps can cause devices to not charge properly when they are running Marshmallow.

Since I removed the app, wireless charging works fine.  If anyone else has a problem with Wireless charging then check to see if you have any battery monitoring apps installed.

I am going to mark this message as the correct answer since I started the thread and this fixes the problem for me.

0 Likes