Samsung Fascinate Worthless After 2.2 Update!
amy62j

I have had my Samsung Fascinate for about 1.5 years.  Loved it the first year.  Then with the Android 2.2 update, after clicking the "OK", it never turned back on.  Thought it was just a fluke thing.  Verizon sent me a refurbished one, which I had for almost 3 months.  Constantly screwed up, including sending texts to the wrong person (though the correct name was showing) and you can imagine how dangerous that can be!  So sent it back and got my SECOND refurbished phone last Friday.  Have had problems since I turned it on.  Text freezes constantly as I'm typing.  Sometimes the dial pad or main screen freezes too.  I went back to Verizon after reading this blog and others on the internet and told them this was ridiculous.  Quit sending me the SAME phone that will ALWAYS have problems due to VERIZON not anything I have done!  They basically told me tough luck and to buy a NEW phone even though my contract isn't up until next April.  I think this is complete **bleep** that we have to suffer with phones that do not work properly.  We paid good money for these and due to no fault of our own, we have defective phones.  I have been a Verizon customer for 16 years but this is enough to make me reconsider that.  I just want them to send me some OTHER kind of phone that is comparable to the Fascinate (or what it was), even if it is refurbished.  Has anyone else had any luck getting a different replacement phone?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Samsung Fascinate Worthless After 2.2 Update!
Herbb623
Contributor - Level 3

Make sure you are running the latest version of available software, ED05.

Menu..Settings..About phone   Build version  SCH-I500.ED05

If not , from settings..system updates..check new..

Install ED05 update.

Then do a factory data reset under 'Privacy'.

( Being sure to backup up contacts, calendars, etc first).

After the reset, do a  *228 option 1 to activate phone.

then do *228 again and choose option 2 to update PRL roaming list.

Then, try using the phone, 'as is' without installing any market apps

or changing to many settings for a few days.

Do not install any task killers or program launchers.

If phone is OK, then you can install a few market apps making

sure phone is still working OK for a few days.  If at some point, phone starts to misbehave,

then one of the last apps you installed is probably causing issues.

Hopefully Samsung will release android 2.3 gingerbread soon, which should help with

some of the remaining issues we are all having with this phone.

I have 3 Fascinates and after doing the above, all 3 seem to be working OK for the most part.

Only issue is the GPS is still flaky.  Some days locks and works right away..Other days takes 5..10 minutes

to start working.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Herbb623
Contributor - Level 3

Make sure you are running the latest version of available software, ED05.

Menu..Settings..About phone   Build version  SCH-I500.ED05

If not , from settings..system updates..check new..

Install ED05 update.

Then do a factory data reset under 'Privacy'.

( Being sure to backup up contacts, calendars, etc first).

After the reset, do a  *228 option 1 to activate phone.

then do *228 again and choose option 2 to update PRL roaming list.

Then, try using the phone, 'as is' without installing any market apps

or changing to many settings for a few days.

Do not install any task killers or program launchers.

If phone is OK, then you can install a few market apps making

sure phone is still working OK for a few days.  If at some point, phone starts to misbehave,

then one of the last apps you installed is probably causing issues.

Hopefully Samsung will release android 2.3 gingerbread soon, which should help with

some of the remaining issues we are all having with this phone.

I have 3 Fascinates and after doing the above, all 3 seem to be working OK for the most part.

Only issue is the GPS is still flaky.  Some days locks and works right away..Other days takes 5..10 minutes

to start working.

0 Likes
dureyes
ED05 has stop all my freezing problems...as for make sure you have gps and Google selected only...do not select Verizon. My gps in less than a minute is locked in.
0 Likes
direwolf013
0 Likes
Shinebox
Enthusiast - Level 3

I had two Fascinates. I got the ED05 updae and it fixed the phone. Most customers were up in arms that other people got replacements so they started saying their phones were not working when they actually are in an attempt to get a new phone. Unforutnately these people are screwing it up for people who actually do have a broken phone. Therefore no one is getting a replacement phone now.

Also, I find it strange that you have had the Samsung Fascinate released a year ago for 1.5 years and have been a customer of Verizon which is an 11 year old company for 16 years. :smileywink:

0 Likes
cstephens

To Shinebox: It's possible to be a customer that long if you were a customer of the carriers that were ultimately ACQUIRED by Verizon... That's how I became a VZW customer. I joine the network in 1994 as a Cellular One customer, which flipped to Airtouch, then to Verizon.... :smileysurprised:

0 Likes