Samsung Fascinate, problems with playing music via USB port on car stereo
txgopher

Before the update, I could play the music files on my Fascinate via the USB port on my Kenwood stereo, and control basic functions such as skip, pause etc.  Now, my stereo does not recognize the device, and cannot read the files.  I went to local Verizon store where a sales rep tried to connect it in here new Kia Soul and it didn't recognize the device either. It will play via the AUX jack, but I lose player control and the phone does not charge via the AUX cable.  She did a hard reset which did not resolve the problem.  We tried one of the other employee's Fascinate in my car, which did not work either.

So, after hoping to be able to stream music via Pandora, Jango etc thru the USB port after the update, now it seems its primary function is for charging.

Also, the ALL SHARE function, which I used to get the music on my phone originally, does not work now.

Anyone else have this issue with music player and USB connection?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Samsung Fascinate, problems with playing music via USB port on car stereo
Not applicable

@ txgopher : I think it’s a great idea to eliminate causes such as your car stereo.  I am certain this process of elimination will get you on the path to a resolution.  In regards to the question of the red eye flash option in the phone – it doesn’t seem to be an option in any of the devices I have tested.  If you need more support for your phone click here on our support site and this will give you relevant information about supporting your device.  I hope this helps.  Thanks.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

Sounds like time to notify Samsung ...

Update Definition... Replace one set of bugs for a whole new set of bugs.. 😄

0 Likes
TamaraH_VZW
Verizon Employee

txgopher- I have personally never used my Fascinate to listen to music via USB via stereo however, I can see why it would be frustrating for you to no longer be able to do so when it was never an issue prior to the update.

It sounds as though you and the store rep already did some troubleshooting by trying to duplicate the problem with another car, stereo and even doing the final troubleshooting step which is a master reset.

Since you have done all of the necessary troubleshooting steps to no avail, it most definitely appears as though the software update has interfered with that USB connection in some way.

What I have done is forwarded the information you have provided to Samsung in order for them to look into this concern as well as come up with a way to get this resolved.

Please stay tuned because as soon as we hear back from Samsung we will be sure to update this forum with the results/findings.

0 Likes
txgopher

Tamara,

thanks for forwarding to Samsung.  I received a new / refurbished Fascinate today, hoping the problem would be resolved, but no luck..  I still receive an error that the device is not recognized.  I contacted Crutchfield to see if they've received any calls about this problem with my particular stereo, which they haven't.  I'm going to visit a local Best Buy and try the USB connection on some car stereo head units to hopefully eliminate my stereo as the source of the issue. 

Also, I seem to recall that the camera had a red-eye flash option?  Is that correct?  If so, that seems to be missing now too. 

0 Likes
Razor68

The latest updates make the USB drive functionality of the phone (needed to pull files to a car stereo) more involved - you now need to install drivers on a PC to access it, for instance.  This is not likely to go away - I'm afraid the "USB drive" functionality we HAD is now gone forever.

0 Likes
txgopher

Dear Razor68,

would you mind sharing the technique to update the USB drivers? 

txgopher

0 Likes
txgopher

Update: I tried connecting my Fascinate to every brand of car stereo at Best Buy, not just Kenwood.  None of them were able to read the phone or the music files, all displayed either "NO DEVICE", or "N/A DEVICE".  So I guess I've determined that my stereo is not the issue. 

Samsung, share the love, re-store this functionality!! 

0 Likes
Not applicable

@ txgopher : I think it’s a great idea to eliminate causes such as your car stereo.  I am certain this process of elimination will get you on the path to a resolution.  In regards to the question of the red eye flash option in the phone – it doesn’t seem to be an option in any of the devices I have tested.  If you need more support for your phone click here on our support site and this will give you relevant information about supporting your device.  I hope this helps.  Thanks.

0 Likes
TamaraH_VZW
Verizon Employee

Hello Community,

There has been quite a bit of activity on here since I last posted. Thanks for all of your feedback and input!

However, I have heard back from Samsung today.  They are in need of some additional information if you are able to provide it to them via us.

"Please provide the model number of the stereo in question. AllShare utiliizes DLNA technology for connection to other DLNA compliant devices; if the phone fails to connect to multiple DLNA compliant devices through AllShare, I would suspect that the software update may not have completed correctly with the device."

0 Likes
txgopher

Tamara,

it is a Kenwood Excelon KDC-X595, kenwood part # 113KDCX595

0 Likes