Samsung Fascinate tethering issues?
charlesldii

We have unlimited data plan and also pay to tether the phones to our mac computers. We got the phones back in Nov 2010. I got this Samsung Fascinate running 2.1, my wife got the Droid Incredible running 2.2.

We installed {edited to comply with Terms of Service}

app on both the phones right away. Worked like a charm until my Samsung was updated to 2.2.1 in June. Now usb debugging shuts off and kills the internet connection after about 5 minutes.  Unplug the cable, re-check usb debugging, plug the cable back in and internet for another 5 minutes.

Did everything the rep at the local store suggested: take out the battery, re-downloaded and re-installed the app, factory reset, different cable, the whole nine yards. I'm pretty sure it's not the app since her Droid still connects to the internet.

Is there a task manager that shuts down the app in this update?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Hang on, I had to re-check usb debugging so I could post.

0 Likes
Re: Samsung Fascinate tethering issues?
nickjr
Contributor - Level 3

charlesldii wrote:

We have unlimited data plan and also pay to tether the phones to our mac computers. We got the phones back in Nov 2010. I got this Samsung Fascinate running 2.1, my wife got the Droid Incredible running 2.2.

We installed {edited to comply with Terms of Service}

app on both the phones right away. Worked like a charm until my Samsung was updated to 2.2.1 in June. Now usb debugging shuts off and kills the internet connection after about 5 minutes.  Unplug the cable, re-check usb debugging, plug the cable back in and internet for another 5 minutes.

Did everything the rep at the local store suggested: take out the battery, re-downloaded and re-installed the app, factory reset, different cable, the whole nine yards. I'm pretty sure it's not the app since her Droid still connects to the internet.

Is there a task manager that shuts down the app in this update?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Hang on, I had to re-check usb debugging so I could post.

Call tech support and as for an exchange, not a replacement
0 Likes
hphinc

Did you ever get this solved? I have the same issue. Reset the phone, new cable, whole nine yards. USB Debugging still cuts off after 5 minutes, exactly.

0 Likes
mathematrucker

Same issue.  After 5 minutes USB Debugging toggles off all by itself.  Didn't have this problem until I got a new Macbook Pro with Lion pre-installed.  Tethering worked great with Snow Leopard on my previous Macbook Pro.  Haven't found any solutions online yet.  Could be a good time to get a new phone, too, I guess.

0 Likes
RunSilent23
Contributor - Level 1

One question.  Are you trying to connect to a VPN connection.  I had the same issue with tethiring and connecting to our company VPN.  Connect for 5 minutes and then redialing.  The issue was not with the Fascinate.  It was with our corporate VPN firewall settings.  Once they changed the settings to allow mobile connections, my problem was solved.

Sorry if this isn't your situation.  Just trying to help you troubleshoot...

0 Likes