Samsung Galaxy Nexus updates
Sully66
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have been loosely following the updates for the Galaxy Nexus on the other carriers.  The last update from Verizon happened last September which was 4.1.1.  Since then, the GSM variants have had the following updates:  4.1.2, 4.2, 4.2.1 and now 4.2.2 is rolling out.  We Verizon customers are now 4 updates behind.  Why is it so difficult for Verizon to keep up?  Why can the other carriers slam out those Google updates on a timely basis where Verizon can't or won't?  Why is it taking so long?  Is it because the device is a Nexus?

0 Likes
Re: Samsung Galaxy Nexus updates
rotocat
Enthusiast - Level 3

I received an email response from Verizon Customer Service last week about this topic.  In it, he asked me what is so great about 4.2.1.   He also asked me if my phone was "crippled" by not having 4.2.1.     Doesn't that sound like a company that loves the customer?  NOT.

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Which discussion was that response in? I checked your activity and not one of the discussions you started or responded to had an official Verizon Wireless Employee response in it. I would guess it was another customer user that wrote it.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
rotocat
Enthusiast - Level 3

As I stated in the original post, the response was from Verizon Customer Service e-mail.  It was not on this forum.

This quote is directly from Verizon Customer Service via e-mail:

"I trust that the lack of an update to 4.2.1 is not crippling your Galaxy Nexus."

0 Likes
Sully66
Enthusiast - Level 2

Do you still have this email?  If so, why not share it?  Otherwise I call shens.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Please don't post the email on this community. It will end being removed because of the Terms of Service here.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
rotocat
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yes, I do have still have it.

Is there a moderator reading this?  May I post the full email response from Verizon Customer Service regarding the Galaxy Nexus 4.2.1 update?

PlayNation
Enthusiast - Level 1

Question, if we're not getting updates, is this preventing us from receiving security updates or is it mostly bug fixes and enhancements? 

Wow, my phone just rebooted on it's own. 

Sully66
Enthusiast - Level 2

While I don't see the email posted here, it must have been removed.  It did still show up in my email in it's entirety except for your name being edited out.  Thank you for getting that out to me.  Just goes to show how much Verizon is so heavy-handed with the update process.  I clearly have some thinking to do.  Is it worth it to me to keep my Unlimited data plan or jump ship to a different carrier.  Right now, the unlimited data plan is the only thing that is keeping me with Verizon.  If the plan goes, so do I...

0 Likes
thtechnologist

Do what I am doing, buy a phone outright from the play store and find a decent MVNO. You'll save in the long run and won't have to worry about issues with wallet, bloatware, etc. Even buying out my contract this saves money!

0 Likes