Samsung Galaxy Nexus will not update to 4.0.4
TURNandBURN13

I have a galaxy nexus and for the past week it keeps telling me to install the new software update.  When I begin the install, the SGN reboots and you see a black screen with a white google logo and then it just freezes on this screen.  I left it on this screen thinking it was "doing it's thing"....left it there for hours.  Still nothing.  I've tried more times than I can count and it keeps doing this.

At this point, I just want it to stop telling me to update.  Does anyone know how to do this????

And NO, my phone is not unlocked/rooted/or modified in anyway abnormal way.

I've called technical support at verizon.  This is what they told me:

1.) Go to certain verizon stores and they can manually flash your device for you.  They told me to go Pasadena store, when I got to the Pasadena store they say they don't have that machine anymore and to go to glendale store.  Glendale store tells me to go to Pasadena store.  Called tech support again, and another tech said that those machines are only for dumb phones so they shouldn't have told me to show up at the stores.

2.) Contact Samsung tech support.  I called them and they said those OTA updates cannot be manually installed.  He recommended factory reset.

3.) Factory Reset.  I'm trying my best to avoid this solution as I have apps that I would like to keep information on (high scores,etc).  Not to mention that I've read on the forums it doesn't work.  I'm willing to forgo the update all together, but I need it stop notifying me. It's really annoying.

4.) Getting a refurb phone.  I'm trying to avoid this at all costs.

It would be great if someone could let me know what they did to successfully install 4.0.4 or at least shut off the notifications to update. 

Many thanks!

0 Likes
Re: Samsung Galaxy Nexus will not update to 4.0.4
curtlawyer

I am having the same problem. Any information on how to fix this would be much appreciated.

0 Likes
dtrejo

Be "Careful for what you wish". St Thomas Aquinas said that.  I got the same alert and UPGRADED to 4.0.4.  Now some of my programs DO NOT work.  Does anyone know who to return to the original ICS that came with the phones?

Thanks

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

No, you CAN'T restore a previous version of the operating system. To do so, would void the phone's warranty and can't be discussed any further on this community per the Terms of Service here.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
dtrejo

Does anyone have trouble with Slingbox after the upgrade to ICS 4.0.4? My does not work anymore.

0 Likes
cynindesign
Contributor - Level 2

Factory reset should take you back to 4.0.2, but you will get the update notices

0 Likes
shirke
Enthusiast - Level 3

Factory reset, but that won't take you back to 4.0.2 you still be on 4.0.4. A factory reset only wipes all user data

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Shirke is correct. A factory reset only wipes the user data and any leftover old code. The phone will have the most current operating system installed on it.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes