Samsung delivers official statement regarding Galaxy S3′s Android 4.3 update issues
aka-neo
Contributor - Level 1

Wow.....nice to know they acknowledged this and delayed it. But wait, we're having these same issues today! So....what happened??! This article was posted on 11-18-13.

http://www.sammobile.com/2013/11/18/samsung-delivers-official-statement-regarding-galaxy-s3s-android...

Two weeks ago, Samsung finally released the much awaited Android 4.3 update for the Galaxy S III, but immediately after updating the device to Android 4.3 users started to complain about various bugs they were encountering. We ourselves tested the Android 4.3 update extensively and came to the conclusion that Samsung might have rushed with the new update just so that they could bring in GALAXY Gear’s support to the Galaxy S III. Samsung KNOX was also not implemented in the software update, even though Samsung promised that it will introduce KNOX with the Android 4.3 update.

Major issues in new Android 4.3 update for Galaxy S III:-
- Wake up lag (Sometimes it takes a few seconds to wake the device from standby and sometimes a few minutes)
- Random Freezing
- Huge battery drain
- Bluetooth Audio issues during playback in car
- Stuttering music playback with stock Samsung music app
- Device freezes as soon a call is received (Black screen issue)
- Poor RAM management (very difficult to multitask)
- Wi-Fi issues

After receiving so many complaints about the new Android 4.3 software update, we contacted Samsung Mobile UK for an official statement on the matter, check the statement below.

“As we are currently investigating the reported issues with Galaxy S3 4.3 Jelly Bean update, the upgrading service has been temporarily suspended. We are committed to providing customers with the best possible mobile experience, and will ensure to resume the upgrading service at the earliest possibility.” – Samsung Mobile UK

According to the statement, Samsung has temporarily suspended the upgrade service and the Android 4.3 update (I9300XXUGMG9) has been pulled from FOTA and Samsung KIES. So you won’t be able to update your Galaxy S3 to Android 4.3 at the moment.

Galaxy S3 users were waiting for this update for a long time now as the device was still running a year old version of Android (4.1.2), Samsung never updated the device to Android 4.2. We think Samsung should have taken some more time and iron out all the bugs before actually rolling out the firmware upgrade as it has made a lot of its customers very unhappy. We will let you folks know as soon as Samsung resumes the upgrade service again.

Labels (2)
1 Solution
Tidbits
Legend

Samsung blocked downgrading. You will trip the Knox flag too.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
382 Replies
Skyking711
Enthusiast - Level 3

How hard would it be for Vrz to reach out to its S3/4 customers w. an email about the situation, remedy and an apology? 

They have no problem contacting customers when there is a payment problem, contract renewal, up selling of many things... Blows me away they remain silent as a church mouse on this issue.... and make the customers burden themselves to get information.

Speaks volumes as to just how little the Co. cares for the contracted customer.

0 Likes
RedRaspberry
Enthusiast - Level 3

ooofest wrote:

Have you looked at

Settings -> Accessibility -> Flash Notification

to see if that was checked?

I don't have a flash notification area.  I did have the flash come on when the phone rang and when the timer alarm went off.  I did a reset on the phone and those issues went away.

0 Likes
clydebarrow
Enthusiast - Level 1

It is quite apparent that neither Verizon nor Samsung will reply to this thread.  We need to make it more public.

We need to post on their Facebook  and twitter pages.

derekforce
Enthusiast - Level 2

wow, I had to re-register my account/password and go through a bunch of hoops to get back here.  I just signed up a few days ago.  thanks verizon!!!
</sarcasm>

anyway, anyone else seeing this - now when i attach a pic to a text, it doesnt show the pic anymore.  it shows a default image with a little orange triangle with a '!' in it.  never had that before.  also i cant click on a text (such as that pic) to enlarge and see it like before

just another of many problems to report with the verizon forced update.  put me on the list for another person just waiting for my contract to end so i can jump carriers.  yes, I understand this is samsung update, but verizon put its own mark on it (like all my custom ring tones and notification changed to a default verizon sound)..  and then forcing it upon me.

no happy at all Verizon..  even less happy with your lack of response/statement about your obvious screw up.

Skyking711
Enthusiast - Level 3

<<Login> re-register....

Funny you should note this... I thought I was the only one having this issue... What a mess... Even LassPass alerted me to a problem w/ this site... Yet another reason to find another provider...

Re 4.3 update...

Seems Samsung has definitively  pointed the finger at Vrz as the responsible party for this update and it's subsequent problems w/ the S3.

By now Vrz is fully aware of this issue and time will tell how they respond. Should this issue continue to fall on def ears at Vrz (Which I highly suspect) and no recourse is offered, then the next course of action for consumers is obvious.

Vrz monitors these threats.. this is clear. So, one final question and/or request.

Verizon: Do you acknowledge there is a problem with the 4.3 update for S3 users and, do you plan on taking any action to remedy this problem for your customers?

Plain and simple.

I (we) await your reply.

0 Likes
randrezzi
Enthusiast - Level 2

So yesterday I went on a social media frenzy trying to get someone's attention.  Below are the transcriptions.  If you don't feel like reading, the short story is - no one is acknowledging the problem.  My recommendation is keep flooding their social media, start contacting tech sites like Gizmodo, etc...  They are going to keep ignoring us until everyone is complaining.

Posting to Verizon Wireless Facebook Page:

Me:

Is anyone going to acknowledge the issue for Samsung S3 phones and the new 4.3 update? There is a 26 page forum of complaints on your community site and everyone keeps getting canned responses about "helpful tips to extend battery life" from your customer service reps. Do you really expect us to believe it's simply a coincidence that updating to 4.3 and phones are now slow and battery dying quickly?

VZW: Hi there Rob! We are here to help all our customers and happy to do so. We understand how important it is to have a reliable battery and we're prepared to offer you all the alternatives to extend a battery life and ensure the phone is not slow to respond. I appreciate you reading through the forums and being proactive about the troubleshooting steps for your phone. Did you complete the factory reset and the battery saving steps on your phone? If so, what problems are you having now? - Ada

Me:

Yes- pretty much everyone on the forum - all 250 of them - have done the same thing and are experiencing the same results. It's not the phone, it' the 4.3 Android update that is causing the problems - including

1. extreme battery drain - my phone las
ted 8 hours prior, now it lasts less than 3. NO OTHER CHANGES WERE MADE TO THE PHONE other than the Android 4.3 update
2. the phone is extremely slow now and lags. typing, waking up, opening email, opening apps, are all slow. This was NOT an issue prior to the update
3. Wifi Connectivity issues - keep getting "unstable connection" errors. This NEVER happened prior to the update. Also, I have Verizon Fios for my internet, so you can't blame them.

We are not stupid, please stop insulting everyone's intelligence. I don't want a new phone, I don't want tips on battery life, I don't even expect the issues with 4.3 to be fixed right away. All the consumers want is an admission from VerizonSamsung Mobile USA/Android that yes - there are issues with the update and we are working on a fix.

They never responded!

Tweeting to Samsung's Mobile Support:

Me: so everyone is just going to pretend there are no Galaxy S3 issues with the 4.3 update?

Samsung: Hi there! If you are having trouble w/your device, we'd be happy to help! Can you pls provide your model # and carrier? ^Kel

Me:  VZW SCH-I535 - There are 250+ comments in VZW's support forum all having the same issue after 4.3 (link to this forum)

Samsung: Thank you. Can you provide more detail on what it is you're experiencing on your device, specifically? ^Kel

Me: As with the other 250 customers - battery drains extremely fast (2-3 hours), wifi connectivity issues, phone is slow now

Me: basically, everything listed here (link to official statement article at beginning of this thread)

Samsung: Are you using the original Samsung battery, charger and charging cable? ^Kel

Me: Yes. the device worked fine the day before I updated to Android 4.3 - just like the 250+ people in the link I sent.

Samsung: Do you typically have features such as Wi-fi, GPS or Bluetooth enabled? ^Kel

Me: Wifi, hence my wifi connectivity issues... blue tooth and GPS no.

Samsung: What are you experiencing with the Wi-fi. Also, is it happening with more than one network? ^Kel

Me: "unstable connection" message.  Worked fine prior to 4.3 update. Multiple networks.

Samsung: Have you tried forgetting the network, then attempt to connect again by re-entering the credentials? ^Kel

Me: yes. The issue is the 4.3 update. Have you read the article and verizon forum?

Samsung: We are here to assist with devices directly and would be happy to continue troubleshooting for your device specifically.

Samsung: You mentioned your device is slow. Are you experiencing a lag with any action or app in particular? ^Kel

Me: all actions - typing, waking, opening apps, everything

Me: that's the problem. Looking at this like an isolated incident when its affecting hundreds.

Me: don't bother troubleshooting my phone. Just tell your supervisor you are still getting more complaints about 4.3. Thanks

Samsung: We appreciate your input and will be happy to forward your feedback accordingly. Thank you. ^Kel

Danni111972
Enthusiast - Level 2

I called Samsung and the tech acted like he didn't know there was problems.  When I mentioned that the UK had the SAME EXACT PROBLEMS he pretended to know nothing about it! Yeah I am pissed off with Samsung over this. He had me doing the dumbest things, a complete waste of 40 minutes.

0 Likes
randrezzi
Enthusiast - Level 2

More updates:

1. Disabling "flash accessibility" doesn't stop phone flashing during alarm or phone call.  Not sure if it's another setting or not.  Either way, not intuitive.

2. Verizon Corporate called me regarding FCC complaint (someone posted the link here, not sure if anyone else filed one?)  Wasn't able to take the call, told them to call back.  Will let you know how that goes.  Anyone else do the same?

aka-neo
Contributor - Level 1

I filed a complaint with the FCC as well. Have not heard anything as of yet. I called Verizon again last night and the rep stated they are aware of the issue and are waiting for Samsung to come up with a fix. No ETA....no current solution to the problem. This rep actually admitted there is a flaw in 4.3. He was very nice but could not offer a solution. So in the meantime I use a phone that lasts me a few hours if I'm lucky when it used to last all day. Clearly unacceptable. I think there's some finger pointing going on between Verizon and Samsung. All I know is we (end users) are the ones suffering and still having to pay full price every month.

Skyking711
Enthusiast - Level 3

<<<I filed a complaint with the FCC as well. >>>

I would like to pursue this avenue also. Would you please post your complaint here so I (we) can copy and file similar complaints.

Thanks in advance

Tidbits
Legend

Samsung needs to fix their phones... Regardless of popular belief carriers do not touch any of the code. So if Samsung hasn't pushed out a fix then there is nothing carriers can do other than wait for Samsung to fix the problem. What you guys are complaining about is happening everywhere.

Skyking711
Enthusiast - Level 3

My contract is with Vrz. They are responsible for this problem. They allowed this update to be pushed to their customers.

Regardless of who's to blame, Vrz has the responsibility to see that it is resolved.

If not, then Vrz should push a 4.1/2 update to correct problem until 4.3 is stable.

RedRaspberry
Enthusiast - Level 3

VzW needs to have a means to roll back software updates.  This is like Microsoft in the early Win 32 bit days.

rudeguyy
Enthusiast - Level 3

Verizon had to do something because I doubt Samsung pushed out an update that includes Verizon Cloud..also when I turn my phone on now a Verizon window appears that I never had before. I doubt Samsung would put that in there since the phones are used by many carriers. But like the prior person stated Verizon is who I pay every month to use the phone so they should deal with Samsung if there is a problem not the customer.

Perhaps I will only pay half my bill and when Verizon contacts me I will say I don't see anything wrong go ahead and bring it up with my bank.

AsianAlan
Enthusiast - Level 2

If they're only providing you with a half functioning phone, why should you have to pay the full price?

I've paid for a top of the line (at the time) phone with WiFi and 4G.

- processes hang and there is lag in the interface

- My wifi connectivity is spotty, even when I'm sitting next to the router

- I have to reboot my phone when I leave work to have it connect to the network.

- My 4G loads web pages about as fast as my old 14.4kbps modem, and less reliably.

doesn't sound like I'm getting what i'm paying for.

RedRaspberry
Enthusiast - Level 3

Another bug is I have to have Mobile Data on to reach my voicemail through the icon.  I can reach it through the phone by dialing*86 with no mobile data on though.

When my phone is in use I cannot leave that screen.  I really don't know if it was always like that or not though.

0 Likes
rudeguyy
Enthusiast - Level 3

In the thread below a Verizon person actually admits there is an issue with the update and Samsung is working on a fix with no ETA

https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/814107

aka-neo
Contributor - Level 1

Wow.......I'm shocked.....it's starting to come out as a confirmed issue by Verizon employees. It's about time.

0 Likes
jstrum
Enthusiast - Level 2

I was just on the phone with the rep from VZW and they offered me a new

phone since I have had 3 with the same issues...it took time, but my

problem is almost solved...

On Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 2:45 PM, Rob DeStefano

0 Likes
aka-neo
Contributor - Level 1

A "new" phone?? Are you sure? Typically they are refurbished. Moreover, in either case if it has 4.3 on it your problems may not be over.

0 Likes
jstrum
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes...a choice of a Razr Max or a G4 (Samsung)

I heard the problems are not happening on G4 from my friends who updated

On Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 3:18 PM, Rob DeStefano

0 Likes