Screen Burn-In
alteregonyc

On 09-11-2010, I purchased the Samsung Fascinate.  The salesperson at the Verizon store encouraged me to get the accessories-- I bent and got a DESKTOP DOCK (among others)... which, I thought, was kinda neat since it turns Fascinate into a clock.  I noticed that the docking the phone made it always-on, but didn't think much of it.

Fast-forward to a few days ago:

I think I was on google.com (or something else with a largely white background), when I noticed that there was a faint, but unmistakable burn marks.  They were four large clock numbers, buttons, etc. from the Desk Cradle mode.

Frankly, I'm very surprised and disappointed.  I was really happy with the phone and its great Super AMOLED screen.  But to get the burn-in by using Samsung's own accessories?  After just 2 1/2 weeks?

I wonder if I can bring my Fascinate back to the Verizon store... and/or whether the warranty covers it...?

Does anyone else have the same problem and/or have you found any solutions?  Is this fixable?  Running JScreen App didn't seem to fix it.

AE

0 Likes
Re: Screen Burn-In
yellowboy74
Enthusiast - Level 3

Take it in the Store. They will replace it with no problem.  Yeah one of the good things about verizion is that they don't give you hard time about replacing your phone especially if it has a defect. Nowadays Carriers don't waste a lot of time troubleshooting phones, they will just ask you what wrong with it and before you  know it they are coming from the back with a new replacement.

0 Likes
FSU

I have the same issue.  Do not know whether to call it screen burn-in but the areas where the desk cradle time numerals display as well as the navigation bar and icons across the bottom appear darker as if the desk cradle display is now always in the background.  This "burn-in" or whatever is easier to see when the screen is mostly white such as when using the browser or all a single color such as if you change the wallpaper to a static single color.

I am going to go in and exchange my phone for a Motorola Droid X because I am still within the 30 days and was considering that one and chose the Samsung Fascinate because of the appearance of the apparently not-quite-ready-for-prime-time Super AMOLED screen.

0 Likes
M91-30
Contributor - Level 1
The super amoled screen, along with any lcd, are incapable of burn in (in theory), but if you leave your screen on a really long time with the same image, what do you expect. Any screen will mess up, not just super amoled ones. Stop blaming the technology, and take responsibility for your lack of foresight
0 Likes
granburytech

I just noticed the exact same problem and was looking to see if others have noticed this. The clock on my fascinate has been noticably burned-in in a very short amount of time. I also noticed it after a few weeks of use.

@M91-30: I understand your general premise, but what a ridiculous thing to assert that users are stupid for using a product the way it was designed, marketed, and sold to be used. What is the point of a desk cradle and alarm clock if the screen is always off? To engineer the phone and accessories to perform a certain function, implies the device can physically withstand the intended use.

If the screen is literally this suceptible to burn-in, I would settle for a software update that provides an option to turn off the screen while cradled, and then turn it back on when a call comes in or an alarm goes off. But it still wouldn't allow me to use the cradle or the hardware the way it was marketed (as an alarm/desk clock), because I wouldn't be able to glance over and see what time it is in the middle of the night or in the middle of a meeting.

In addition to the burn-in, I wasn't happy to unbox the cradle to find the sticker on the back that says I can't use sound until 2.2, which apparently cannot be confirmed (according to Samsung) when or even if it will be released.

I'm definitely not sensing the value in this particular purchase. Sound port is not functional out of the box and displaying anything ruins the screen. So I have to ask, is there anthing I CAN use the cradle for? Otherwise, I love the phone...sans all the verizon crap.

0 Likes