Screen won't stay lit up long enough to enter my voicemail password!
coclouse

So my wife got her Fascinate a couple of weeks ago, and she loves it so far.  However, there seems to be a problem when she goes into her voicemail.  The screen only stays on for a fraction of a second until it goes into lockdown.  How are you supposed to enter your passcode when you have to unlock your screen 3 times in order to enter 4 numbers???  I don't know if there is a simple solution to resolve the problem.  I have made the backlight timeout at a minute so I know that's not the problem...  Can anyone help me, or is it an issue that she will have to live with, or is it a problem that is only on her phone?

0 Likes
Re: Screen won't stay lit up long enough to enter my voicemail password!
Leslie1
Contributor - Level 1

Try a master reset ,since changing back light did not resolve issue, on phone. Make sure you remove memory card and know your gmail user id and password.

Factory Reset

Touch Settings
Touch Privacy
Touch Factory Data reset
Touch Reset Phone
Touch Erase Everything

0 Likes
AAAAAAAAAAAA

This phone has this bug! Verizon has no work around and I guess don't ever plan to fix it. Samsung said it's to save battery life lol what a joke! It should also be noted that When on a call using Bluetooth and the backlight times out you have to unlock the screen to end the call!!  How is that hands free????? Then the backlight on the 4 bottom buttons (menu, home, back, and search) only stay on for 5 seconds. NONE OF THESE correspond with screen timeout settings. On top of all that 

Using a Call Back number in SMS messaging is not supported.

There is no option for Message delivery acknowledgement!!

There is no option to preview an MMS message!!!

There is no option to set a Priority for messaging!!

There is no option to re-send a message!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can not talk on the phone and text at the same time do to the screen timming out and the phone locking!!

You can not send a V-card and There is no option to change the Calendar alert notification
Called Verison 29 times over this stuff! No one can help me! RESET the phone 15 times now!!! I guess it's my fault for using verizon!

0 Likes
M91-30
Contributor - Level 1
There is nothing wrong with your wife's phone, there is a proximity sensor by the earpiece that turns off the phone when you cover it with your finger or head. If you have the phone away from your had, the light is supposed to stay on until it times out, or you put it back by your head. If it is turning off like it is, it is user error. Tell her to watch where she pus her fingers, keep them away from this sensor. How can you blame this on verizon or samsung when it is user error?
0 Likes
R1Rocket

I own two of these phones and one of them is having the same issue as this guy's wife, and it has nothing to do with the "proximity sensor" or where you place your fingers on the phone. 

It happens to be a software glitch, and pulling the battery while the phone power is on, and dialing *228/option 2 after the phone powered back up solved the problem.  (Just pulling the battery probably would have fixed it, but the tech said to try the *228 deal as well)

{please keep your posts courteous}

Thanks!

0 Likes
Android10
Contributor - Level 3

Try changing the screen settings:

From the main screen, touch the menu tab

Touch Settings

Select from below options, adjust as needed.

• Screen timeout 
  • 15 Seconds
  • 30 Seconds
  • 1 Minute
  • 2 Minutes
  • 10 Minutes
  • 30 Minutes
  • Never Timeout
  • Unlock Screen
  • Power Saving Mode

For voicemail try this option:

Adding a pause / wait to voicemail number
Note: Generally for Verizon Wireless Voice Mail. 2-4 seconds is sufficient. Continue steps to store & save below.

Tap Phone
Dial *86
Tap Menu
Tap Add 2 sec pause or Add wait
Tap Menu
Tap Add to contacts
Tap Update Existing
Scroll to and Tap Voicemail
Tap Save

If using a Bluetooth Headset, a headset device with an end key usually works better.

For the messaging problems try downloading another messaging  application from the market place.  There are messaging applications with more options that allow greater  personalization. 

0 Likes
sknoxx

There is a free wiget called "Keep awake" simple tap on/off, in the same list is an app that will

allow you to keep the screen unlocked, no more slide the puzzle!

sknoxx

0 Likes
Stein5830
Enthusiast - Level 3
Hey Android10,
I just wanted to let you know that my phone also sometimes locks when I'm on a call and some times not. I have tried:
1. verify nothing is blocking the sensor - it is clear
2. restoring the phone to factory settings (multiple settings)
3. battery pull with *228/2

For about 70-80% of all calls the screen locks up no matter what I do. even after i unlock the phone the screen goes blank and cuts back to the lock screen. Do you have any other possible suggestions.
0 Likes
bigfrank69
Contributor - Level 1

sknoxx will it keep the lower menu buttons lit up too or do they shut off after 5 seconds? I looked it up and another called stay awake but dont know how easy to use, if you can turn on and off quickly for when needed. Thanks

0 Likes
Idaho16

My phone also locks when I'm on a call most of the time. I have tried:
1. verify nothing is blocking the sensor - it is clear
2. restoring the phone to factory settings (multiple settings)
3. battery pull with *228/2

The screen locks up no matter what I do, even after i unlock the phone the screen goes blank and cuts back to the lock screen.

0 Likes