Serious GPS Issue
lthibeault

I would like a VZW moderator to help me with this...

When i first got the Fascinate the second day it was out my GPS was fine.... and while everyone else had issues i had few to none.

well with time, and more use... i started to notice the GPS taking longer and longer to lock... and now... well it has been trying to lock for over 3 hours... and nothing... 

Could someone please tell me what to do to fix this??? i would like the official position of VZW on the GPS issue... or is it a Non issue?

0 Likes
Re: Serious GPS Issue
bigfrank69
Contributor - Level 1

I want the answer to. When at store other day told rep about it and he loked at my phone and said I didnt have VZW tracking checked on phone only Google and the GPS one. These are in settings under Location. Well went outside and knew he was wrong and sure enough took half hour to lock onto GPS. Where is the fix for this?

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

There's definitely an obvious software issue with the gps on the Fascinate as was the case on the other Galaxy S devices whether Verizon acknowledges it or not.  I had problems with slow initial gps locks ranging from 5-10min+ which is no good if you're trying to use google nav and it just tells you searching for GPS while you're driving around aimlessly.  Having Verizon location services disabled in the settings seemed to actually help some people (myself included).  That said, I'm almost positive it's software related as the DJ05 leak fixed it for me.  GPS lock is almost instant.  Hopefully Verizon gets it or Froyo out quickly for Fascinate owners.  

0 Likes
10sEn
Contributor - Level 3

I'm not a VZW moderator, but I did this for use with Google Maps/Navigator, and my GPS has worked fine since:

1. Go to Settings

2. Select Location & security

3. Check both Standalone GPS services and Google location services

4. Go back to Settings

5. Select Privacy

6. Check Use my location

7. Sometimes I need to have Wi-Fi turned on, too.

This says that my location is accurate to 10 meters, and when I tap on my location, it gives me the correct address.  Occasionally, I have noticed that it can take a few minutes to get accurate positioning, as they bounce you around from tower to tower to locate your position, but it definitely shouldn't take hours.

0 Likes
bigfrank69
Contributor - Level 1

My phone was set for all you said,  privacy show my location and still does not lock in at all or takes up to half hour. When new it would fire up right away and that was only using it 3 times. Since then all the same problems the rest are having.

0 Likes
lthibeault

I seem to have found a fix, as anoying as it is...

there is an app called GPS booster... i tried the free version last night and this morning...

prior to installing the app my phone went 30 mins with no lock on GPS. in the same location i installed the app, opened it and within 10 seconds i had 10 sats in view and 8 in use with 8 ft accuracy...

the free app is limited on 3 uses... 

i dont like having to pay for an app to make my phone do what it is supposed to do...

however this seems promising...

about half way down the page seems to be some good info...

http://www.fascinateforums.com/forum/samsung-fascinate-general/777-froyo-here-us-samsung-fascinate-4...

watch now a mod will answer with... no ETA for FROYO.....

0 Likes
Idaho16

I have same problem, would like to know when a fix is updated.

0 Likes
micdawg12

Yeah, its great, no transparency on the FROYO issue, and no thought of releasing DJ05 or DL09 which both fixes GPS.  I mean, come on.  VZW and Samsung need to get their act together and get this stuff out, one of my friends ETF'd today and went BACK to ATT because of this **bleep**.  There are TONS of others griping and are going to do the same thing.

VZW : We are your customers, do not lie to us.  If you want to keep us as your customers, you need to take a stand, and tell us what exactly is going on behind the scenes with 2.2.  You have promised us an update since before October, and yet, still NOTHING.  No official word from you or Samsung.  If you are going to ignore your customers, why shouldn't we ignore your company and go elsewhere?

0 Likes