Service Issues
bwk5150
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have had very bad service with my new phone.  I have yet to see over 2-3 bars yet standing next to a 2 friends with different phones all have full bars.  I have read up and it seems to be A MAJOR ISSUE in reviews and other posts. Verizon please work with Google and Samsung to fix these issues.  I have others but this is is by far the biggest problem.  

0 Likes
Re: Service Issues
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

The bars are a fairly unreliable means of comparing signal especially between phones made by different manufacturers.  You need to look at the dBm Signal Strength reading under About Phone-Status.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

bwk5150 wrote:

I have had very bad service with my new phone.  I have yet to see over 2-3 bars yet standing next to a 2 friends with different phones all have full bars.  I have read up and it seems to be A MAJOR ISSUE in reviews and other posts. Verizon please work with Google and Samsung to fix these issues.  I have others but this is is by far the biggest problem.  

Too bad you didn't read up PRIOR to making your purchase!

Looking at another of your posts,

"With all due respect to all you posters but the orginal post is correct VERIZON is the problem they asked Google not to include it(Google Wallet).  Which is a ton of crap.  I have already asked my congressman to look into this.  Verizon no matter the crap answer they give us.  Doesnt want the compeitiion for its upcoming mobile payment system ISIS.  I cant wait for the goverment to enforce the law which Verizon is breaking by not allowing it.  Verizon is disgraceful what you are doing and you know it."

it seems as if you have inside info about the workings between Google/Samsung/Verizon, though, and should know whether or not they are working to fix these problems.

0 Likes
Drazyw
Enthusiast - Level 3

Indeed, the bars are not a good method for determining signal strength.  Looking in your phone settings you can get your actual signal strength in dBm which will be more accurate. Whether this is actually reporting correctly either is still in the air.  People are seeing numbers over -100dBm which is HORRIBLE. 

Bars or numbers aside, there is a radio issue with the Nexus at the moment. This is assured with the nigh number of people around the net reporting it.  Me personally, I can sit my RAZR beside my Nexus and be about 20dBm worse on the nexus on average. This correlates to REAL WORLD issues with the Nexus completely losing data connection, in 3g and 4g areas and getting 4g on the razr while not being able to on the nexus and the nexus taking 5 min to re-establish a data connection.  Forcing the phone into airplane mode and backout will force it to reconnect to data faster. These radio issue are most assuredly contributing to poor battery life that many people are reporting as well. 

Verizon needs to acknowledge the issue and let us know they are working on a fix, if it's at all possible to fix. 

0 Likes
Drazyw
Enthusiast - Level 3
0 Likes