Setting a Song as a Ringtone for a Caller
cschrank

I am unable to set the ringtone by caller?  I read some blogs and tried to move everyone on to my SD card but it still did not work.  The bulk of my contacts are on the phone through Microsoft Exchange.  Help, please.

0 Likes
Re: Setting a Song as a Ringtone for a Caller
cast

I had that same issue untill I found an App called Rings Extended. It works great you can also set your texts notification with a ringtone from your music list. WORKS AWESOME!!!!!

0 Likes
Cinderqh
Enthusiast - Level 2

Is this not standard functionality on the Fascinate? I'm still going thru some technical **bleep** trying to get my ringtones to show up on mine but I thought once they were, I'd be able to assign them to different groups like I did on my EnV and my previous phone.

0 Likes
cschrank

I have added this but I can not find were it will allow me to set on a contact by contact individual.

0 Likes
pauldangerkile

There are two types of contacts. You can add a ringtone to a "phone" contact, but not to a "gmail" contact. In my case all of my callers were being synced from gmail, and those ones can't get custom ringtones. You can however create "phone" contact, and associate it with your "gmail" contact, and then it will work. Yeah, its weird. If my wife calls me from her Fascinate, then my phone says, "WARNING, the wife is calling, WARNING", but if she calls from work, then its a no-go. Maybe this trick only works for the first phone number? I dunno. That's what you do though.

Paul

[Edited to comply with Terms of Service]

0 Likes
scoutxlt

I found that for Native Contacts, which I imported as .csv file, from my Outlook Contact list via USB... A lengthy process to find, but once I got it figured out it worked quite well and with a minimum of duplications. From there I also uploaded some mp3 songs to my Music folder, and then selected them from the Contact list to be "Ringtones" for that specific Contact. The procedure then created a ringtone from the mp3 file which actually was "Originally" a .wav file converted when I uploaded it to V Cast... Sort of a long and winding road, but it did "Work..."

Thus far I've found that most things can be accomplished with a search for ideas on-line, reading the owners manual which I downloaded as a PDF file from Samsung, and just the usual banging of the head against the OS wall working it from all angles until a solution presents its self.

0 Likes
MiMeQu21
Contributor - Level 3

Setting a ringtone on the Fascinate is not as straight forward as it should be.  Try this:

-Go into your contacts and select a contact.

-Hit your menu button.  Select Edit.

-Up top, make sure you select "Phone" and not "Google."

-Scroll down and you will see "Ringtone."

-Hit the Arrow Key.  You will be asked whether you want the default ringtone or phone ringtone.

-Select Phone Ringtone.

-Select the Ringtone you want and select Okay.

-Save your entry.

That should set your ringtone for each contact.  Now, how do you get a ringtone you downloaded from an app into the list of "Phone Ringtones" in which to select from?  For me, I have an app that I download ringtones from.  So any song that I have downloaded has ended up saved to my sd card (go to Apps and select "My Files.") in that apps' file.  Find where your ringtones have been saved on your sd card.  Go to each ringtone in that file and do the following:

-Long press on a ringtone.  Select "Copy."  You will be returned back to the list of your files.

-Select the "Media" file.

-Select "Audio."

-Select either "Ringtones" (if you want a ringtone for calls) or "Notifications" (if you want a ringtone for a text message, voicemail, etc.).

-Paste your ringtone into the selected folder.

-Repeat as needed.

After you do this, then you can go into your individual contacts as noted above and select your ringtones for each contact instead of having to use the default ones that came with your phone.  Hope this helps!

0 Likes