So UNHAPPY WITH LATEST OTA UPDATE for Fascinate !!!!!
BendingUnit01

Folks,

I just spent about a weekend and a half talking with VZW L2/3 support and Samsung L2/3 support concerning the latest OTA UPDATE that has caused my wifes Fascinate not to be able to connect to connect to our MAC or PC! I cannot begin to describe my level of frustration with SAMSUNG and Verizon who both said well it's really Googles fault. Oh really, so your telling me that neither company has a release or QA department to test a DROID update before it's release to subscriber base! To me thats poor and inexcusable behaviour!

I want to recount the number of issues that I have delt with since I purchased this phone:

1. Email would not download consistantly without a hard reset of the phone  - sort of fixed with Update 1.

2. GPS flaky -woudl not show proper position

3. GPS - Geo tagging - Lat / Long data missing from photos

What really amazes me is that fact that neither company provides a customer with the ability to easily downgrade the phone by downloading the previous version of the DROID OS 2.1 Update 1 via a PC or MAC. Instead I have to send the phone to Samsung in Richardson TX to have them flash the phone with an old rev of the DROID OS which could take two weeks or so.. or.. and heres' the best one, or I could wait until Froyo 2.2 gets release somewhere in the future! Lets see we were promised Froyo update last November, oh December 2010.. it's now the end of January 2011! I won't hold my breath cause God only knows whats issues 2.2 is going to have.

Adding insult to injury, VZW customer service said, we will send you a loaner phone until your phone get fixed, you just need to talk with XVW support, who promptly told me that they don't have such a program and would be willing to activate an old VZW phone if I have one.  [Please keep it clean - Thanks!]

The sad part is that I really like this phone and have been really happy with VZW service. I have a background in technology and am used things breaking, but mounting an SD card is such a basic thing to have go wrong that its' really unforgivable.

0 Likes
Re: So UNHAPPY WITH LATEST OTA UPDATE for Fascinate !!!!!
mdram4x4
Champion - Level 1

to mount the card try this

if usb debugging is on, turn it off

if its off turn it on

mine mounts fine, but debugging has to be on

oh and you can flash it yourself, there are ways

check out xda or android forums, the have the complete stock roms for all versions and how to flashs

it will make it factory minty fresh

0 Likes
BendingUnit01

MDRAM4X4,

Thanks for the hint, and the reply. I did try the steps you listed below and it did not work. What happens on my MAC is that it does not recognize the SD card and the only choice it give me is to format the SD card. On my WinXP server it shows the removable drive, when I click on the drive it says to insert the disk in the drive.

I will check out XDA and the DROID forums per your advice.

Thanks!

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

Are you dragging down the notification bar, choosing mass storage and then hitting mount?  Running Windows 7 x64 and haven't had any issues.  I have USB Debugging turned on (Settings-Applications-Development), USB Settings set to Mass Storage and the drivers found here.  I did read somewhere that it seems to be borked for Mac though. 

0 Likes
BendingUnit01

PJNC284,

Yep, Believe me I have done it all. Turned on USB debugging, select mount the FS, turned usb debugging off, hard reset the phone, plugged in a new SD card and nothing has worked. The only thing that I can figure out is that the OTA upgrade got botched somehow.

When I spoke with Samsung L3 they said that have an enhancement request to fix mounting SD on a MAC, which he also indicated was slated to get fixed when Froyo 2.2 gets released. I was unhappy with that answer as SAMSUNG and VZW have been promising to release 2.2 for a while now. 

0 Likes
ross1

To: MDRAM4X4

Thanks!!!!!! The debug helped immensely and now able to load music and transfer photos with the DL09 software update! You should work for support team. jsut takes a moment and things work.  Now have to check out the old roms to upload.

0 Likes
Gnomad
Enthusiast - Level 2

This will work until the fix is in from Verizon or Samsung, not ideal but it does work.
First open Terminal, then type in "gpt show /dev/disk1" without the quotes. Make sure USB Debugging is turned on. Plug in the phone, it will be detected in Finder as a Verizon CD, after a minute that will disappear, you can eject it to get there faster. Then mount the USB device, wait for the disk error message and select "Ignore" then unmount the card then remount it. Then in the Terminal hit Enter to run the "gpt show /dev/disk1 command". You may have to run the command more than once. It should recognize your card at that point. Then you can access the card as usual. Depending on whether you have other drives the device ID may be something other than disk1. You can always check by selecting initialize on the disk read error message. The disk utility will open and you can get the correct disk number.

0 Likes