Software Update - How long does it take to update?
gabyrd22

Today I purchased my very first smart phone; the Galaxy Nexus. Before I could get home to play with the cool new phone I was prompted to install a software update. Now the device is going on 1.5 hours of a screen saver looking screen and not responsive to the power button. I'm assuming its due to the update still going through but didn't know how long this should reasonably take. Anyone know?

Picture on this link shows the screen I'm seeing: http://www.ubergizmo.com/2011/12/verizon-wireless-confirms-galaxy-nexus-software-update/

0 Likes
Re: Software Update - How long does it take to update?
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

That's the boot animation, something to entertain your eyes while the phone is booting up.  After an update this will take longer than usual, but an hour and a half is way too long.  You can try pulling the battery to shut the phone off, then power back up.  If it happens again, you can try booting into recovery to factory reset your phone :

• Hold the Volume Up and Volume Down buttons and press Power; let go of the buttons once the phone vibrates.
  • Press Volume Down until you get a Recovery Mode option, then press Power
  • Wait until you get a blank screen with an open Android in the middle, then simultaneously press Volume Up, Volume Down, and Power. A menu should appear.
  • In the menu area, Volume Up and Volume Down change selections and Power chooses the selected option.
  • Select Factory Reset, then wait. This process may take up to five minutes and could potentially take longer.
  • Select Reboot and watch to confirm that your phone boots.

If that doesn't work, you may have to call tech support to get a replacement.

0 Likes
gabyrd22

Thanks for the detailed reply! Unfortunately, it didn't change anything. Followed your instructions and after I clicked "reboot" it got my back to the screen saver screen. Guess I'll call tech support. Not exactly the exciting time I expected after bringing home my first smart phone.

0 Likes
B33
Legend

gabyrd22 wrote:

Thanks for the detailed reply! Unfortunately, it didn't change anything. Followed your instructions and after I clicked "reboot" it got my back to the screen saver screen. Guess I'll call tech support. Not exactly the exciting time I expected after bringing home my first smart phone.

@gabyrd22:  Take your phone back to the store! not to return it but to ask a rep to show you some pointers on the phone an while there they should be able to help you with the update. The reason i'm saying this is those reps are trained on that phone before it was re-leased to the public an they can help you get acquainted to it!  witch is what you need since your new to the phone an Android.  We've all been in your Shoes an it's alittle hard to get ajusted to at first but you'll get it.  I know you will keep your Chin up on this an you'll be Tweeting,  sending messages, surfing the Web an saying this is a piece of Cake! :smileyvery-happy:  Here's something i'll throw in to help get you started. 

Click on the link here:  An this should help out some. While there you can get a Copy of the Manual Via PDF format:  B33 Good luck an Welcome to the Forums  :smileyhappy:

http://support.verizonwireless.com/clc/devices/index.html?p=5801&m=    <<< click here

0 Likes