System Updates: Server Unavailable
tjcusick
Enthusiast - Level 2

Does anyone have a solution to get past this "System Updates: Server Unavailable" error I keep getting.

Phone Info:

Samsung Fascinate Galaxy S

Model Number: SCH-i500

Hardware Version: i500-04

Firmware version: 2.1-update1

Build Number: SCH-i500.DL09

My wife and I have the same phones and her's was updated automatically. but mine was not... any one know how to get around this... i would prefer not to "RESET" my phone because i don't want to have to reload all my apps...

Ideas?

Thanks

Tom

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: System Updates: Server Unavailable
Dukmiester2
Enthusiast - Level 3

"Let me know if it works."

Well, what happened? Have you left already?

Just a little more info to help anyone else interested in this fix as it HAS WORKED for me:smileyvery-happy:

Step 1:

Go to the "My Verizopn" page on your computer (not on your phone) and

sign in. It should show the Fascinate as your device.

Step 2:

Click on Activate a Device as shown here:

Click This

Step 3:

You'll have to have a Spare phone laying around in order to do this,

so if you don't have access to one, don't bother trying it.

What you need to do is remove the back and possibly the battery,

and enter yhe HEX/ESN/MEID number from the phone. The rest

should be easy on the web pages, just keep clicking NEXT.

Step 4:

Dial *228 from the temporary "Newly Activated" phone, and choose option 1 to program it.

Step 5:

Once step 4 is successful on the "Temp Phone", repeat steps 1 thru 4 on the Fasinate.

After doing this, pressing MENU, SETTINGS, ABOUT PHONE, SYSTEM UPDATES, CHECK NEW

now says "No New Updates Available" instead of "SERVER NOT AVAILABLE"

Thus, even though I have already manually installed Froyo, I believe my Fascinate should now

be capable of getting any future updates via OTA.

Hope this helps,

credit goes to poster above for finding this.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Herbb623
Contributor - Level 3

I have 3 Fascinates.   2 updated OTA just fine.   3rd would not. Kept getting service unavailable.

Called both Verizon and Samsung. Neither could help be get 2.2 on my 3rd Fascinate. Both did offer to send me a refurb phone that would fix the problem.  I told them both, i bought mine new and dont was a 'used' replacement.

So, I went to the androidpolice web site, downloaded the update.zip file, copied to the SD card, booted phone in recovery mode and installed the 2.2 update.zip file.   This phone and my other 2 Fascinates all running 2.2 just fine now.

www.androidpolice.com/2011/04/20/just-in-samsung-fascinate-froyo-update-starts-early-rolling-out-now...

See manual steps #3 and #4

NOTE:   line #1 under step #4 !!!!!

The phone I had problems with did OTA all previous updates just fine.  It was running the latest EA28.

I also did do a factory reset on all 3  after  upgrading to 2.2 as well..... Seemed to fix a lot of little annoying

post update problems

Also...after updating...First two can still 'check' for updates, but 3rd, even after manual update, still

gets server unavailable.  Not sure what I'll do when/if another update comes along.

0 Likes
lisahogue1

Herbb623 wrote:

I have 3 Fascinates.   2 updated OTA just fine.   3rd would not. Kept getting service unavailable.

Called both Verizon and Samsung. Neither could help be get 2.2 on my 3rd Fascinate. Both did offer to send me a refurb phone that would fix the problem.  I told them both, i bought mine new and dont was a 'used' replacement.

So, I went to the androidpolice web site, downloaded the update.zip file, copied to the SD card, booted phone in recovery mode and installed the 2.2 update.zip file.   This phone and my other 2 Fascinates all running 2.2 just fine now.

www.androidpolice.com/2011/04/20/just-in-samsung-fascinate-froyo-update-starts-early-rolling-out-now...

The phone I had problems with did OTA all previous updates just fine.  It was running the latest EA28.

I also did do a factory reset on all 3  after  upgrading to 2.2 as well..... Seemed to fix a lot of little annoying

post update problems

Also...after updating...First two can still 'check' for updates, but 3rd, even after manual update, still

gets server unavailable.  Not sure what I'll do when/if another update comes along.

Doesn't a factory reset erase all applications that I've downloaded and the info that goes with them?  Like ANGRY BIRDS?? No way do I want to lose that stuff.  Is there a way around that?

0 Likes
nickjr
Contributor - Level 3

lisahogue1 wrote:

Herbb623 wrote:

post update problems

Doesn't a factory reset erase all applications that I've downloaded and the info that goes with them?  Like ANGRY BIRDS?? No way do I want to lose that stuff.  Is there a way around that?

Any apps you d/l and paid for can be reinstalled by going to the market and re d/l them.
0 Likes
Herbb623
Contributor - Level 3

Yes, factory reset will delete all your apps and local data and settings.

Settings you'll have to recreate.

Apps can be redownloaded, but you would lose for example

angry birds what level you were on.

Factory reset is not required for an update. do the update. if phone is fine, then

dont do the reset.  But, if after the update and after a few days of use, you find

some annoying little problems.....

First thing to try....remove battery for a couple minutes..then reinstall.

If that does not help. factory reset fixes a lot of things.

Hope this helps some.

0 Likes
Dukmiester2
Enthusiast - Level 3

Well, thanks for posting the link to Androidpolice!

How on Earth did you ever find that? I d'loaded and installed Froyo just fine on the Wife's phone,

mine simply kept getting Server Unavailable, and like yours, updated just fine when EA28

came out.

Now, the "problem phone", just like one of yours, even after I D'loaded the manual update.zip

from androidpolice still says Server Unavailable when I go to Menu,Settings,about phone,system updates,

check new. I also did a factory data reset on the problem phone, still gets server unavailable.

So far, Wife's phone seems fine so haven't messed with it any more.

Guess you really saved me a lot of work by posting that link

so thank you and kudos for you!

0 Likes
Herbb623
Contributor - Level 3

Yep, my one problem phone also still gets server unavailable.

Hopefully, when and if another update comes along, android police will come thru again with

the update.zip.

Only other thing to try would be to reload an earlier stock fascinate rom, then hope it is able

to do the updates.   Phone is working fine for now, so will cross that bridge when we come to it.

0 Likes
galaxydroid

I just found a solution!!!  I have been trying since the release to update to froyo and it kept saying "server unavailable."  The phone needs to be reprovisioned.  Go to my verizon and change your phone to another phone.  Wait five minuts and reactivate the fascinate.  Reprogram with *228 send opt 1.  Check for updates.  It should be available.  Let me know if it works. 

0 Likes
Dukmiester2
Enthusiast - Level 3

"The phone needs to be reprovisioned.  Go to my verizon and change your phone to another phone."

Could you please elaborate on that? I did do a factory data reset after the above mentioned manual update to Froyo, which then forces a re-program after reboot. The *228 part I understand, the "change your phone to another phone" part I am a little confused.

You mean to do this on my PC, on the My Verizon page?

That sounds like you are on the right track with:

"The phone needs to be reprovisioned. "

As it seems to me that somehow the servers can't ID the phone for whatever reason,

and therefore the only error that fits is "Server is Unavailable"

Just need a little clarification as to what exact steps to take on the "change your phone" part.

Any help appreciated,

thanks.

0 Likes
Dukmiester2
Enthusiast - Level 3

"Let me know if it works."

Well, what happened? Have you left already?

Just a little more info to help anyone else interested in this fix as it HAS WORKED for me:smileyvery-happy:

Step 1:

Go to the "My Verizopn" page on your computer (not on your phone) and

sign in. It should show the Fascinate as your device.

Step 2:

Click on Activate a Device as shown here:

Click This

Step 3:

You'll have to have a Spare phone laying around in order to do this,

so if you don't have access to one, don't bother trying it.

What you need to do is remove the back and possibly the battery,

and enter yhe HEX/ESN/MEID number from the phone. The rest

should be easy on the web pages, just keep clicking NEXT.

Step 4:

Dial *228 from the temporary "Newly Activated" phone, and choose option 1 to program it.

Step 5:

Once step 4 is successful on the "Temp Phone", repeat steps 1 thru 4 on the Fasinate.

After doing this, pressing MENU, SETTINGS, ABOUT PHONE, SYSTEM UPDATES, CHECK NEW

now says "No New Updates Available" instead of "SERVER NOT AVAILABLE"

Thus, even though I have already manually installed Froyo, I believe my Fascinate should now

be capable of getting any future updates via OTA.

Hope this helps,

credit goes to poster above for finding this.

0 Likes