Text message contacts
cizzib

Hi,

This morning when I went into my text message screen I noticed the contact names were missing...all i have is phone numbers.  They're still listed under my contacts, but some how the link is broken.  Any suggestions on how to get them back?  I already turned the phone off hoping they would rest themselves.

Thanks

0 Likes
Re: Text message contacts
budone
Legend

What phone do you have??? If a newer device, had you backed up your contacts online???

0 Likes
cizzib

My contacts are fine, its when I go into messaging thats the issue.  Instead of having the names of people I texted I only have the phone numbers.  I do have a back-up online but hadn't thought it was needed since the contacts are there.

0 Likes
Herbb623
Contributor - Level 3

You can try the following:

Menu

Settings

Applications

Manage applications   then hit 'All' on top of that page

Scroll down till you find  'Messaging'

click or touch Messaging

Press Clear cache   if u can and its not grayed out

Press Clear data   if u can and its not grayed out

Press home key

Try Messaging app again.

0 Likes
cizzib

Gave that a shot, couldn't clear cache because it was greyed out.  Cleared data but still having the same issue.

0 Likes
Not applicable

@Celine Izzi-Berthiaume Thanks to you and the community for posting on this issue. The text function on the phone is one of the most important functions for me on the device. So I can see how this can be very concerning for you. How long have you been having this text/caller id issue with the messages? Are you using a 3rd party app like handcent or the stock messaging app? Have you tried to boot into “safe mode?” Booting in “safe mode” will disable all applications installed from the Google Market, indicating that the issue is likely related to a third-party application.  To boot into “safe mode” follow these steps:

-Power down the device.

-Power the device on.

-When the Verizon Logo is displayed in the power up sequence, press and hold the MENU -key.

-If successful, “safe mode” will be displayed in the lower left corner of the screen.

-Have the user send and receive messages in “safe mode” to determine if the issue persists.

-To deactivate “safe mode”, power down and power on the device normally.

If the issue persists with messaging in “safe mode”, Samsung would suspect individual memory corruption on this device.

The next step would be to do a “master reset.”

The “master reset” steps are as follows:

-From the main screen, touch menu tab
-Touch Settings
-Touch Privacy
-Touch Factory Data reset
-Touch Reset Phone
-Touch Erase Everything

I am certain that these steps will resolve your issue. Thanks.

SammuelP_VZW

VZW Support

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes