The person I'm calling when using a headset keeps hearing themself (echo). Ideas?
mpinter
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've seen this on some other android forums with no solution, so I was hoping Verizon can help.  I'm using a basic Altec headset w/microphone (plug-in, not bluetooth) for voice calling on my new Samsung Galaxy Nexus.  It is the headset I used without issue for over a year with my Palm Pre Plus before I upgraded.  I've also tried it on my son's LG Revolution without a problem.  But in my Galaxy Nexus, I hear just fine but the person I am speaking with complains about a great deal of echo, where they hear themselves talking.  This is very distracting, especially when I'm on a conference call.  When I turn my volume down or mute my phone, it goes away.

I'm guessing this may be an overly aggressive noise cancellation issue, as I've noticed that I hear almost no "wind" noise on my Galaxy Nexus when I'm walking around outdoors, where I used to hear it quite a bit with my previous Palm Pre Plus  I can't find any setting on the Galaxy Nexus to disable/tweak the noise cancellation.  The headset works on other phones, so I don't believe it is the headset itself.  Posting on other android forums indicates this is happening quite frequently, but no one has posted a workaround or solution other than to drop the volume down very low to avoid feedback, which works, but then I can barely hear the caller over the road noise.  Has anyone on this forum found a workaround, or does Verizon expect a patch to fix this?

Re: The person I'm calling when using a headset keeps hearing themself (echo). Ideas?
Not applicable

Their voice is "leaking" out of your earphones into your microphone.  Either turn down the volume or find a way to isolate the sound in your earphones.  Maybe you could find better seals for your ears.

0 Likes
Re: The person I'm calling when using a headset keeps hearing themself (echo). Ideas?
mpinter
Enthusiast - Level 2

OK - I'll buy that instead of the noise cancellation, but why would it be "leaking" on the Galaxy Nexus but not my Palm Pre nor LG Revolution?  The same pair of headphones did not have this issue on either of those two phones. 

Is this a software bug I can expect Samsung or Google to fix, or is this bad hardware design? 

Better seals on the ears won't help much because I already have in-the-ear headphones.  I have to turn the Galaxy Nexus down to around 20% of the volume for the problem to go away, and at that level it is difficult to hear in a quiet room, let alone in a car driving 75mph on the expressway to and from work each morning no matter how good the ear seal is.  I'm getting close to the end of my return period for my Galaxy Nexus, and while I'd hate to lose ICS, I'd trade this back for a RAZR to get better conference calls.  With my job, I'm on conference calls 1 or 2 hours each day to and from work.

0 Likes
bearone21
Legend

i hear an echo on my phone occasionally when using the speaker phone.

have you considered, maybe it's a problem with the other person's phone.

0 Likes
mpinter
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm not hearing any of the echo.  The caller is hearing themself echo back.  I've had 4 different people complain about this, including my wife, who I normally call a couple of times a day both on her cell phone and our home phone.  I never had this problem with the Palm Pre when calling to the same people's phones, only when I started calling with the Galaxy Nexus two weeks ago, so I think we can eliminate the other people's phone.

I also tried the stock headphones that came with the phone, and had the same issue.

Steampower
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm also having this problem. 

Here is the android issue that is sitting at "Medium" priority for now:  http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=23482

I'm amazed that something so basic is broken on an Nexus.  I don't know who is at fault: Google, Samsung or Verizon.

Ultimately it's verizon who's taking my money, so I hope they can make it right.