Throttling of data originating from Google?
Chance1320

I use a Galaxy Nexus running 4.2.2 on the Verizon 4G LTE network in the Triad area of North Carolina. I live in Reidsville and at my home, and near my office in Greensboro, I get excellent 4G reception with speeds regularly hitting 20 Mbps, often higher.

Over the last couple of weeks, I have noticed that Google's Play apps on my phone--Play Store and Play Music--perform very poorly when downloading apps or streaming music--worse, even, than how they would perform at 3G speeds. App downloads that should take five seconds are taking close to five minutes. Streaming music frequently stops for buffering.

These same apps, however, perform exactly as expected when I'm connected to my home wifi network. No buffering of music, and app downloads are speedy.

All the other data-intensive apps on my phone work splendidly on 4G--Slacker Radio, Netflix, Hulu to name just a few. The Speedtest app and testmy.net are both reporting blazing download and upload speeds. Yet the Google Play apps are sucking wind on 4G. I can only conclude, then, that the Google traffic is being throttled somehow. I contacted Google, and they told me that they cannot or do not differentiate between how their users connect, so if that is accurate and they are throttling, then I should see crummy speeds both over 4G and wifi. That's not the case. So my next conclusion is that Verizon is able to isolate and throttle Google traffic.

Is anybody else having this problem? What good would possibly be served by Verizon stifling data transfer to and from Google servers over 4G?

Help appreciated.

0 Likes
Re: Throttling of data originating from Google?
sombersp

I may have a similar/same issue.  I have a droid razr and I'm trying out the new Google play music all access.  Whenever I use all access it buffers while on 4g but when I use Google play music with my owned streaming music or Netflix, Pandora, youtube etc it works fine on 4g.  All access works great on Wi-Fi at home but buffers constantly while on 4g

0 Likes
Not applicable

FCC rules prevent Verizon from throttling 4G data over the 700 MHz spectrum which is the only spectrum Verizon currently uses for 4G.

0 Likes
Chance1320

Yep, more research revealed this chestnut. So if any throttling is taking place, it has to be coming from Google. Which wouldn't surprise me. As I think about it more, this is probably general network malaise on their end due to all the goodies they rolled out last week at I/O and users are gobbling up.

0 Likes
Chance1320

Different devices, same behavior. I guess that's a relief for both of us since that points to it being a non-device-specific issue. Thanks for the feedback.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Having the blazing fast speeds you pay for is very important to us Chance1320. We do our best to ensure all customers have the opportunity to enjoy our network. What is your zipcode? What pricing plan and data feature do you have? Are your issues with slow speeds occuring inside or outside? How much data are you averaging per month? Are you closing apps your not using daily and removing problematic apps that may slow your phone down. Let's start here and with this information we can try to isolate and resolve the issue. I look forward to hearing from you?

KinquanaH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @vzwsupport

0 Likes
jdlmon3

Droid razr max hd and samsung galaxy s4 having same problem. Apps work fine over 4g except Google play store. I have not tried other google apps. play store works fine on wifi. something is going on.

0 Likes
Ceetar

Sure, but all they have to do is drop you from 4g right? 

The last two days (and I have unlimited data and am over 5gigs used this month) my phone has dropped to 1x and hasn't reconnected to 3g/4g even in areas where I usually have it (I'm in Midtown Manhattan)

As such, Google Play streaming is being spotty, but so is uploading a picture to twitter.  Don't see how this could be a Google issue.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Good morning Ceetar!

Two days is too long to be having issues with spotty coverage and slow speeds. So, let's get you back in the fastlane.

Upon review, Midtown Manhattan does not show any issues so it's best to revisit your device and figure things out from there. Which model device do you have? We've got an arsenal full of tools on our end to remedy these matters and I hope to hear back so we can get things rollings.

EvanO_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Ceetar

it's mostly gotten better. I did notice someone mention Google Play and it

does appear sometimes my phone gets stuck in 1X after streaming music, but

it hasn't happened the last couple of days. (Samsung Galaxy S3)

On Sat, Jun 1, 2013 at 10:47 AM, Verizon Wireless Customer Support <

0 Likes