Touch tones cease to be recognized after having listened to a voice-mail message
Lhead

I have a pre-paid account and am using a "Samsung Smooth" cell phone (and I don't see a message board for this particular model). 

When retrieving voice-mail, the touch tone dialing functions cease to work after having listened to the first message.  To put it another way; once having entered my password, and played/listened to my first voice-mail message, I'm given some options - primarily: "To delete this message, press 7; to save it in the archives, press 9; to hear more options...").  If I press any number key (7, 9, 0...) it is not recognized - after a few seconds I hear; "Are you still there?".  I continue to dial numbers (all the while I hear the beep as I press each/any number)... After a few attempts I hear "Sorry you're having problems; please try again later." 

In attempting to have these tone signals recognized, I've change the "DTMF Tones" setting from 'Normal' to 'Long'.  [This menu option is found at: Settings&Tools>Call Settings>DTMF Tones>LONG (vs. normal)]

This issue only became apparent in the last few days - I'd not had this problem in the past.  Does anyone have a solution?

0 Likes
Re: Touch tones cease to be recognized after having listened to a voice-mail message
Rick9999

I have had a similar ongoing problem.  The solution Verizon gave me was to delete my voice and start from scratch.  This has happened 3 times.  This is not a device problem but a Verizon problem.  I have had to go to a Verizon corporate store to resolve the problem.  The problem comes from phone numbers that do not exist and/or unavailable/restricted/etc numbers.  Verizon said if  I wanted to get it to stop I will have to change my phone number.  I have another one of these calls currently in my voice mail.  So...I am seriously considering changing my number or taking my telephone number to another service.

0 Likes
Re: Touch tones cease to be recognized after having listened to a voice-mail message
atalker

I had my phone replaced after they went through all the trouble shooting for this same issue. (post upgrade btw). Of course it still does it intermittently.

0 Likes
DionM_VZW
Verizon Employee

Greetings community members! Thanks for sharing your experiences with accessing voicemail. I'm very eager to assist with this concern! Since this was posted in the Samsung Fascinate thread, I'm going to proceed on the assumption that you are all Fascinate owners. If that is the case, I would like to make a recommendation as we troubleshoot this issue. Voicemail is a service provided by Verizon Wireless that allows unanswered calls to be forwarded to a service to offer your callers the option to leave you a message. That means that accessing the voicemail service from your phone requires you to make an outbound call. If the audio quality your call to the service is in some way less than ideal, it might cause the voicemail system not to respond correctly to touch tone commands (as you have experienced). It's possible that what you're experiencing could also be related to call quality or even the voicemail service itself. 

I recommend test calling your voicemail using a phone other than your VZW device (preferably a landline, if you have access to one). In order to do this, you simply call your VZW mobile number. When your call rolls to voicemail and you hear your greeting, press the " # " key. You'll be prompted to put in your voicemail password, so go ahead and type that, and then hit " # " again. If your voicemail experience differs from what you've described here, then we can look at factors other than your phone. Thanks for your attention. I look forward to reading your results!

0 Likes
Mike_10

@DionM_VZW: it appears you didn't read the postings, since the first poster said he had a different kind of phone.  This is also a problem when using Skype to pick up my VZW voice mail (I haven't found a forum yet for that on the VZW support site).  It doesn't help me if I can use a landline to access my voicemail.  I don't think the problem is with the device that's calling; I think the problem is somewhere in the tone recognition software of VZW's voicemail system.  Is there any hope that VZW will look into the tone recognition in your system?

0 Likes
John_in_Cleve

Exact same problem on my corporate account. Recently, like the others contributors in this thread, I was able to enter my voicemail account as usual, but once in, the system would completely ignore any touchtones (DTMF) from me. 

I tried from five different handsets: cordless, landlines, cell phones. No recognition of the touchtones after entering the system. The first Verizon service rep quickly elevated me to "Level 2," and I offered the Level 2 rep access to my voicemail. He too was unable to get his touchtones on his own phone to do anything, once in the voicemail system. Neither service rep was unaware of any system problems nor knew of a fix.

I receive a number of mis-dialed faxes that I "ignore", some of which generate a voicemail message. We wondered if an errant fax message somehow tripped up the system. I've routinely received and ignored these occasional faxes for three years now, so nothing new there.

I told the Level 2 guy that I was not interested in solving a mystery today, so would he simply reset my voicemail, wiping out the five messages in there. Immediately afterwards, I once again had full DTMF control, and I quickly resetup my account.

But to the Verizon reps listening, it definitely was a VoiceMail problem and had nothing to do with the handsets.

0 Likes
DionM_VZW
Verizon Employee

Mike_10 wrote:

@DionM_VZW: it appears you didn't read the postings, since the first poster said he had a different kind of phone.  This is also a problem when using Skype to pick up my VZW voice mail (I haven't found a forum yet for that on the VZW support site).  It doesn't help me if I can use a landline to access my voicemail.  I don't think the problem is with the device that's calling; I think the problem is somewhere in the tone recognition software of VZW's voicemail system.  Is there any hope that VZW will look into the tone recognition in your system?

Hello Mike_10! Thank you for joining the discussion and for providing your feedback. Yes, I read the original post very carefully and I do see that a different device was specified. This does not however change my explanation. The only phone in our current inventory that does not allow unanswered calls to roll to the voicemail service is the iPhone. Secondly, I apologize if my troubleshooting step of trying to access your voicemail from an alternate phone sounded as if a permanent solution. We very much want you to use your service, and voicemail is definitely a a part of that! I mentioned the alternative access as a way of determining if the problem is with the phone or the signal. I would appreciate it if you would try this step to see if your experience changes. And please, share your outcomes. Thanks! 

0 Likes