Transferring Data from Fascinate to My New Galaxy S3?
ASPENQN

The Fascinate was the first smartphone I've ever had, and was very lucky to have very few problems with it.  I'm about to upgrade to the new Galaxy S3, and wondered what is the easiest way to transfer everything off of the Fascinate?  Been reading some different websites/forums and everyone has an opinion as to the best way to accomplish the task.

0 Likes
Re: Transferring Data from Fascinate to My New Galaxy S3?
telveer
Contributor - Level 1

Multiple options ...

-> If you have admin privileges, use Titanium (paid) and backup all your important apps/data to local storage or cloud

-> Backup your content/files (pics, media, videos, etc) to your PC or Cloud

-> You can re-install most apps from Google Play or whatever market place you use

-> Your phonebook can be backed up to multiple locations (vzw, google, etc)

-> For all apps that need login credentials, make sure you keep a record (use a software like PasswordSafe to store all your credentials). You can store your password safe file on the cloud (ex: Dropbox)

You can start some of these tasks now itself.

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

Depends on what kind of data.  As said above, your apps will be backed up by Google.  Sometimes they redownload, sometimes they don't.  You can always go to https://play.google.com/store and push your old apps to your new phone.  Contacts and calendar (assuming you have the stored with google) and miscellaneous system settings will be restored once you sign into your google account.  App data like logins or game saves will be lost.  So all those 3* Angry Birds levels are gone (unless you do that which we can't talk about here).  SMS can be backed up with something like SMS Backup & Restore in the market.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

PJNC284 wrote:

Depends on what kind of data.  As said above, your apps will be backed up by Google.  Sometimes they redownload, sometimes they don't.  You can always go to https://play.google.com/store and push your old apps to your new phone.  Contacts and calendar (assuming you have the stored with google) and miscellaneous system settings will be restored once you sign into your google account.  App data like logins or game saves will be lost. So all those 3* Angry Birds levels are gone (unless you do that which we can't talk about here).  SMS can be backed up with something like SMS Backup & Restore in the market.

There are applications in the Play Store that will backup and restore Angry Birds levels without extra permissions.  Like this one.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

yeah, I remember seeing one of those a while back but wasn't sure how reliable they are.  It'd be nice if the app developers actually used the functionality that Google has provided and back up data themselves.  I just use MyBackup Pro to take care of everything since I'm that which we can't talk about.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

I use that one that I posted with success on the Thunderbolt. The Nexus is currently not restoring properly, by I haven't completed the troubleshooting yet to narrow down why.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

PJNC284 wrote:

yeah, I remember seeing one of those a while back but wasn't sure how reliable they are.  It'd be nice if the app developers actually used the functionality that Google has provided and back up data themselves.  I just use MyBackup Pro to take care of everything since I'm that which we can't talk about.

The problem would be a security issue, and possibly compatibility issues.  Each device running Android can and often are different even if they are running Vanilla version(looking at Galaxy Nexus and the Sony Play).

I could write it and it would work 100% of the time on all Nexus devices, but as soon as I switch to a Play, HTC One, Droid Razr, or S3 there is a chance the save data would even show up on your device. 

what works out better... Save it to internal/external sdcard option where you can backup/restore.

Here's a more read up on about it.

http://developer.android.com/guide/topics/data/backup.html

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

Tidbits wrote:

what works out better... Save it to internal/external sdcard option where you can backup/restore.

Here's a more read up on about it.

http://developer.android.com/guide/topics/data/backup.html

yeah, that's what I meant by using the functionality that google has included.  I've seen a couple apps with built-in backup/restore option but the vast majority don't.  Seems like a no brainer to include especially for apps as popular as Angry Birds.