Re: USB device not recognized
Starminder

Don't be embarassed - actually thanks for posting this.  I was having the very same problem with the splitter that came with the battery charger.

0 Likes
sandiegorick

I have exactly the same problem. Factory reset did not resolve the problem.  Did the reset yesterday, and since it did not fix the problem Verizon is going to send me a like new phone.    I spent hours talking with Verizon and some with Samsung before I did the reset.  Wish I would've seen these posts first.  It was amazing because Verizon kept telling me they were not aware of this problem, but then I found this forum.  I about popped a cork.      

Anyway, I have not found a resolution.  It will be interesting to see if a new phone works or not.  Guess I will have to go out and buy a card reader. 

0 Likes
sandiegorick

amazing, I did the same thing,  selected control, devices, etc  and plugged the usb back in and it worked.  I have spent hours trying to resolve this     

0 Likes
juls

After trying everything here I had given up - then - discovered that the type of USB cable mattered! Using the cable from the original purchase worked.

So to recap from all the wonderful previous posts-this is what finally worked for me: 1) Use the USB cable from the original purchase; 2)  Check In 'Settings - USB settings - Mass storage - is selected; 3) Make  sure the SD card is mounted 4) On the pull down menu (where you see current notifications)  "mount" the device.

0 Likes
JanOhio10

Thank you, Ambria.  This worked for me!

0 Likes
JanOhio10

Thank you so much, VJ!

0 Likes
Atratus

You have got to be kidding? This is the "technical support" recommendation? I get so sick of the "you need to reinstall" default answer from every lazy, unmotivated or unskilled so-called technician out there. What is the root cause of this issue? Obviously we don't all need to reinstall. Ergo, there is a true issue that needs to be fixed with either hardware or software (most likely the latter). This is USB. It's not some newer protocol like Infiniband that is still not very widely adopted. That said, it is very insulting to tell users that they need to reinstall.

0 Likes
MaxBuck
Contributor - Level 1

When I tried to connect my Fascinate to my MacBook Pro this morning, I got an error message indicating that the "drive cannot be read."  I then pushed the "Initiallize" button, after which the Mac came up with a Disk Utility window.  The following information appears at the bottom of that window:

Disk Description : SAMSUNG SCH-I500 Card MediaTotal Capacity : 14.7 GB (15,823,011,840 Bytes)

Connection Bus : USBWrite Status : Read/Write

Connection Type : ExternalS.M.A.R.T. Status : Not Supported

USB Serial Number : I500d65c9e48Partition Map Scheme : Unformatted

Further details:

Name : SAMSUNG SCH-I500 Card Media

Type : Disk

Partition Map Scheme : Unformatted

Disk Identifier : disk1

Media Name : SAMSUNG SCH-I500 Card Media

Media Type : Generic

Connection Bus : USB

USB Serial Number : I500d65c9e48

Device Tree : /PCI0@0/EHC1@4,1/@3:0

Writable : Yes

Ejectable : Yes

Mac OS 9 Drivers Installed : No

Total Capacity : 14.7 GB (15,823,011,840 Bytes)

S.M.A.R.T. Status : Not Supported

Disk Number : 1

Partition Number : 0

So, what next?

0 Likes
mdram4x4
Champion - Level 1

MaxBuck wrote:

When I tried to connect my Fascinate to my MacBook Pro this morning, I got an error message indicating that the "drive cannot be read."  I then pushed the "Initiallize" button, after which the Mac came up with a Disk Utility window.  The following information appears at the bottom of that window:

Disk Description : SAMSUNG SCH-I500 Card MediaTotal Capacity : 14.7 GB (15,823,011,840 Bytes)

Connection Bus : USBWrite Status : Read/Write

Connection Type : ExternalS.M.A.R.T. Status : Not Supported

USB Serial Number : I500d65c9e48Partition Map Scheme : Unformatted

So, what next?

its a known issue, head over to androidfuroms or xda for a workaround, that may or may not work

0 Likes
SteveB28

Thank you very much. The cable  was my issue as well.

I had picked up a cable from work where  we have some Android developers.

This cable had work for me before, I swear it.

Anyways, it must be a  "power-only" cable and not truely a USB cable.

When I switched over to the cable that was supplied with my phone everything worked.

Thanks for posting this suggestion.

0 Likes