USB xfer problems
hubris67

Has anyone else been having trouble transferring files through a USB cable? When I hook it up to my PC it seems to work fine at first, but then as soon as I try to open a folder or copy anything into it, it hangs up and I have to force close Explorer and unplug and replug in phone. Running Windows XP. I have used multiple cables and USB ports on my box with same effect. I have tried switching modes in the USB connection settings on the Nexus and that doesn't help either.

Weird....seems to work for a few seconds, and then just locks up every time when I start an action(copy/move etc...). I absolutely love this phone other than this one problem. Have been using AirDroid so not a huge deal, but really need this to work reliably eventually. I have seen complaints about this in many other forums but thought if I asked here a Verizon tech might help me out. Smiley Happy Thanks.

0 Likes
Re: USB xfer problems
Tidbits
Legend

There are only Verizon mods, and they can't help you much in most cases.  This is a peer to peer forums.

From my understanding XP uses UMS a lot better than MTP.  The problem will arise with you using an older operating system.  Windows Vista and 7 probably work better for MTP from what I have seen.

There's a few things you can try.

1. Use a different cable. I have both versions and BOTH cables were faulty.

2. Use a different USB port.(I have one "bad" port some people do too after a while and not many people know they have a weak port.  Happens the older the computers get.)

3. Try a different computer(just to rule out your computer).

4. Same as 3, but try using something with Windows Vista or 7.

0 Likes
hubris67

Had the same problems with Vista. Worked for a little longer before it locked up the folder, but same result. Sorry should have mentioned that. I've tried 3 different cables of varying age and different ports to same result. I seem to see quite a few complaints about this issue on other forums, but there are convienient ways around this(AirDroid, etc...) so it seems to be getting passed over for the most part. Wondering if anyone has found the culprit or reliable solution yet.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Try uninstalling the drivers and then reinstall them. Make sure you reboot prior to plugging your device in. Make sure you get the drivers from Samsungs website.

hubris67

I will try that when I get home today. Never thought to reinstall the drivers. *forehead slap*.

0 Likes
hubris67

I uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers and it seems to work a little better(quicker to open folders/show files) but if I try and copy something to the phone it still hangs up. Anything else anyone can think of to try? Thanks for the help.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Let me check my bag of tricks. Going to pull out an old laptop of mine.

0 Likes
B33
Legend

Hey Tidbits do you have me as Checked as a Follower. They done some changes on how you can private communicate to each other to try to stop spamming. An the only way i can send you a message or you to me now is if you have me checked An to do this you got to hover over my Avatar an while there click to turn it on. that way we can send our Pm's again!  To tell ya though this is getting to complicated. an some what confusing  B33 

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

I think you need to approve me Smiley Happy

B33
Legend

Ok... sorry for being an old poop but were do we do that Tidbits i'm lost Dude an my brain is almost jello! trying to figure this stuff out on here B33 .

0 Likes