Unable to Download MMS Messages After JB Update
ee_hokie

I am unable to download MMS messages (whether it be a picture or a group text from an iPhone) after updating my phone to jelly bean. I have a limited data plan, only 150MB, so I keep my data connection off when I am not using it. With ICS this was not an issue. I would simply get a notification that I received a new message and I would turn my data on and click the download button and the MMS would download. When I received the JB update I do the same thing, but the message never downloads. It simply says downloading but never actually downloads the message. My sister has encounter the same issue, so I know it isn't isolated to my phone alone. Has anyone else encountered this issue, and more importantly have a solution?

0 Likes
Re: Unable to Download MMS Messages After JB Update
fergieg
Contributor - Level 2

They may have changed the way the phone handles incoming MMS in JB. From what I have seen, mobile data has to be turned on (just don't understand why they couldn't program to keep specific ports open for MMS purposes) to get MMS.

0 Likes
ee_hokie

I understand that the mobile data has to be turned on to receive the message, but like I said before with ICS it would detect that I didn't have mobile data on and allow me to download the message later after I turned my mobile data back on. With JB it will just constantly say "Downloading" once I turn the data back on and click the download button.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

I think I might have had a similar situation when I had ICS on my phone. The downloading was stuck. I ended up sending a picture message to myself to get it unstuck.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
fergieg
Contributor - Level 2

The point of my post was NOT to emphasize that mobile data has to be on. I learned from your first post that you already know that. I was just trying to say that JB might handle incoming MMS differently than ICS, although it is just an opinion as I do not have any technical documentation to back it up as a claim (hence the use of "may", as well as "opinion").

0 Likes
seags777
Enthusiast - Level 1

Quick solution for you. Go to settings in standard messaging app and uncheck the "auto-retrieve" box in the MMS Messages section. You should be able to re-download successfully at that point (with 3g/4g enabled).