Update server unavailable
bluestar
Contributor - Level 1

I've attempted to manually update to Froyo at least 25 times since its release on 4/21. Every attempt has ended with a message stating the server is unavailable. Is anyone else experiencing this? Is there a workaround? I must say, after reading some of the posts on this board, I'm beginning to wonder if I'm better off sticking with antiquated eclair.

0 Likes
Re: Update server unavailable
nickjr
Contributor - Level 3

bluestar wrote:

I've attempted to manually update to Froyo at least 25 times since its release on 4/21. Every attempt has ended with a message stating the server is unavailable. Is anyone else experiencing this? Is there a workaround? I must say, after reading some of the posts on this board, I'm beginning to wonder if I'm better off sticking with antiquated eclair.

Try this link http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/04/20/just-in-samsung-fascinate-froyo-update-starts-early-rolling-...
0 Likes
beko

Shuttt, i have the same problem as yours. I have been trying and always getting the same error as yours. DOnt know if i should download somewhere and do it manually. Is anybody going to help?

0 Likes
bluestar
Contributor - Level 1

I've tried at least another 25 times to manually download the update, always using only Verizon Wireless 3G with Wi-Fi turned off, and continue to receive the message that the update server is unavailable.  I've re-activated my phone and nothing changed. Still struggling with 2.1, losing hope of receiving 2.2.

0 Likes
Herbb623
Contributor - Level 3

I have 3 Fascinates.  Two did the OTA just fine.

The third would not.  Server Unavailable error  ( it did the first 3 OTA's just fine . )

Neither Verizon or Samsung tech support could figure it out.

Both wanted to send me a refurbed phone to fix problem, which I did NOT want to do.

The following link worked fine. Phone updated to 2.2 with no issues.

Try this link http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/04/20/just-in-sa​msung-fascinate-froyo-update-starts-early-rolling...

0 Likes
ChaunceyM_VZW
Contributor - Level 3
Hello bluestar and nickjr. I'm sorry to hear about the problems encountered with your updates. If you could please send me a PM and include your wireless number. I will contact you and address your concerns.

ChaunceyM_VZW Support

Follow us on twitter @VZWSupport
0 Likes
bluestar
Contributor - Level 1

Thanks, Chauncey M.  I would very much appreciate your help. Can't figure out how to get in touch with you directly to supply my phone number. Please let me know. In the meantime, I did a complete factory reset, lost all my apps, and I'm back where I started, update server unavailable. A local Verizon employee suggested that somehow my serial number may have been omitted from the update database.

0 Likes
Bri333
I've had the same problem since DL09 installed. After everyone started getting froyo, I gave in and had Verizon send one of those reconditioned phones. I hadn't wanted to go that route and have to reload everything. The "new"phone arrived but it wasn't packaged properly so I didn't want to chance keeping it.

However, before returning it, I decided to activate it to see if it worked better than my phone. I did a few things on it but decided to go back and factory reset my phone..the "new" one not only shipped loose in the box, it was also not clean. So I really didn't want that to be the only solution.

I'd resisted resetting my phone as I didn't want to lose everything on it. Though I'd spent hours on the phone with verizon trying to fix my problem, plus 2x at the verizon store in person.

So... I reactivated my phone. Lo and behold, I immediately got the update msg! It updated to ea28 and then to 2.2. I should also mention that the "new" phone did try to update when I activated it and I canceled that.

So maybe those still having the problem could try activating an old phone and then go back and activate your Fascinate. Or go to a verizon store and insist they let you activate a new one and then go back and try yours again.

Another thing to mention: I previously had tried re-activating my phone, and it still hadn't caused it to find the server to be able to update.

To activate, dial *228 and choose option 1.

Good luck, everyone.
0 Likes