Use internet and phone at same time?
MiMeQu21
Contributor - Level 3
I am new to smartphones, so I was hoping someone could help me. I was using my Samsung Fascinate phone yesterday when I also tried to use the internet. The phone call got disconnected. Is there a way to surf the internet while being on the phone? I figured with a phone as advanced as this, you should be able to do both. Do I need to access the wi-fi to get on the net, or can I use the 3G for both the phone and web? I would appreciate any help.
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Use internet and phone at same time?
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

MiMeQu21 wrote:
I am new to smartphones, so I was hoping someone could help me. I was using my Samsung Fascinate phone yesterday when I also tried to use the internet. The phone call got disconnected. Is there a way to surf the internet while being on the phone? I figured with a phone as advanced as this, you should be able to do both. Do I need to access the wi-fi to get on the net, or can I use the 3G for both the phone and web? I would appreciate any help.

Verizon and therefore the Samsung Fascinate uses CDMA wireless technology.  It is not possible to be on the internet and phone at the same time with CDMA with a 3G connection.  In order to use the internet and make phone calls at the same time, you need to be connected to wifi.  Cell carriers AT&T and T-mobile uses GSM which allows data and phone at the same time.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

MiMeQu21 wrote:

Verizon and therefore the Samsung Fascinate uses CDMA wireless technology.  It is not possible to be on the internet and phone at the same time with CDMA with a 3G connection.  In order to use the internet and make phone calls at the same time, you need to be connected to wifi.  Cell carriers AT&T and T-mobile uses GSM which allows data and phone at the same time.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

woops. A little too slow on that one.  It shouldn't have disconnected your call though.

0 Likes
MiMeQu21
Contributor - Level 3
Thank you for the quick posts. That is too bad that CDMA technology will not allow this. I did try this again and I did not get disconnected. It seems that this takes away a major possible use for these types of phones.

Will this change with 4G technology or will that not make a difference because of the CDMA?

If anyone else has any thoughts, please post. Thanks.

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

Yeah. LTE should allow both.  They could technically do it with CDMA but it would require network and phone upgrades.

0 Likes