Using Samsung Widgets with LauncherPro on Fascinate
yellowboy74
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hey is there a way you could use the samsung widgets with LauncherPro. I love the Daily Briefing Widget and The Weather Clock widget provided by samsung but don't like touchwiz. Please let me know if there is a way

0 Likes
Re: Using Samsung Widgets with LauncherPro on Fascinate
sHaY_j
Contributor - Level 3

Check out the link below to see how that can be done.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/archive/index.php/t-728199.html

Hope this helps!

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

uhm...that link says it CAN'T be done.  Which is correct as those widgets are a part of the Touchwiz launcher package and therefore can't be used with 3rd party launchers like ADW and launcher pro.

0 Likes
moates
Contributor - Level 3

We are so sorry for the confusion. PJNC284 was correct in this thread. On the Samsung Fascinate, when using the LauncherPro (*3rd party app) you cannot use the Samsung Widgets.

0 Likes
Chris3D2

So let me get this straight. 

I buy a Samsung (read: non-Microsoft) phone, which runs a Google (read: non-Microsoft) operating system, and it comes not only pre-configured with Bing as the search engine, but **hard-coded** to disallow the Google search widget from being able to be added to the screen.

To solve this issue, I need to run a 3rd party launcher (some of which cost $$) and replace Samsung's TouchWiz interface, and in the process loose the ability to use any of the nice Samsung widgets like the Weather Clock, Daily Briefing, Buddies Now, etc,  that are part of TouchWiz.  I can again run 3rd party equivelants, but again, they often cost $$.

Would it not, perhapse, have been better to allow the customer to freely choose what search engine to use on their Google phone?  Is it really appropriate to make the customer jump through so many hoopes, and give up so much functionality, just to use Google on their Google phone?  I hope Microsoft paid you guys enough to make the inconvenience you've cost your customers worth while.

I was an AT&T customer for the past 2 years and have been **thoroughly** disappointed with my experience with Verizon so far.

0 Likes
brad0286

Supposedly we are going to get the choice to use bing or google when the 2.2 froyo update comes out for android.  For now there is an easy way to get around bing without changing launchers, all you have to do is put a shortcut to google on your homescreen or set the browser homepage to google.  Download google maps from the market and if you want voice search for google get Vlingo search from the market, it works great!

0 Likes