VERIZON UNABLE/REFUSES TO UNLOCK PHONE
DWII
Enthusiast - Level 1

So I recently purchased a phone on ebay, and verified with the previous owner that the phone is paid off and the account is closed. I also called verizon to verify that the phone shows unlocked on their end and it does, but for some reason the phone is still carrier locked, it continues to show the message "this sim in not from verizon" when another sim from another carrier is inserted, I have factory reset the phone multiple times, the previous owner called in to confirm there are no issues and even had them resubmit an unlock request, he was told that it would take 24-48hrs but still no fix.

The phone is now active on my verizon account but still having the same issue, customer support is saying the phone shows its unlocked so their end and there is nothing they can do to assist me further. They suggest I have the previous owner call in again?!? even thought the phone is associated with my account and the previous owner is no longer with verizon?? Seems like I am being given the run around since they have no clue what to do.

I read that Verizon is required by the FCC to unlock phones after 60 days of service. This phone has been active with verizon service for over 2 years.

Has anyone had any issues similar to this? What would you suggest? File a complaint?

Re: VERIZON UNABLE/REFUSES TO UNLOCK PHONE
Jacobmblackwell
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have the same issue, I bought my unlocked Verizon Note 20 5g on eBay in September 2022 and have been using it since then, it wasn't financed nor prepaid, it was definitely unlocked because I could remove my Verizon SIM and use a sim card  from multiple different service providers. 2 months ago I went to a Verizon store to replace my physical SIM and he offered to convert it to an esim so I could use my other physical sim cards simultaneously without removing my Verizon SIM. Apparently in doing this he locked my phone to the Verizon network so I can't use any other SIM cards. I talked to so many different representatives who have really done nothing but waste my time, they didn't even think to check if my phone was locked until I suggested that may be the issue after 3 hours of troubleshooting. They confirmed my phone was locked and they "created an appeal/ticket" and promised that my phone will automatically be unlocked within 24-48 hours. Well obviously they over promised and under delivered on that. It's mind blowing to me that a Verizon sales representative can so easily accidentally lock my phone to the Network but tech support and tier 2 are barely capable of diagnosing a problem, much less actually solving it and the best solution they have is to create a ticket to supposedly  unlock the phone that they illegally locked! I don't understand why they would set their system up this way, they have to be benefiting somehow but if the benefit is hooking to keep you on their Network, that's the absolute last thing I want to do, they clearly don't care about responding my issue and I'm probably going to cancel my service with them over this and many similar issues in the past and I've been with them for the last decade or more.  🙄

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We're terribly sorry for the issues you have encountered with your device. We will send you a private note to further assist. 

~Ivone

0 Likes
marmot-smith
Enthusiast - Level 2

When I inserted a SIM from another carrier it asked for a pin code to unlock the phone.

If the pin code is entered too many tines incorrectly then the phone will be permently locked to the carrier.

If this is what happened then, AFAIK, you'll have to reflash the ROM or change phones.

tdcody
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am having a similar problem. I owned my phone when it was activated on Verizon's network six years ago, and it has been active ever since. Carrier lock was never removed, and I have now made two requests to unlock it and been denied both times. I was only trying to add an e-sim for international data use, but after this nonsense I am going to try another carrier. I'm are the FCC has complaint channels somewhere.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I know I would be upset if something similar happened to me, tdcody. The last thing we would want to see is for you to leave us, and we are here to help. You had mentioned that you previously attempted two appeals without any luck. Do you recall what denial response you had received regarding those appeals at all?

-Joseph

0 Likes
tdcody
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi Joseph - thanks for your response. Below is there text of the denials I have received twice so far.

"Hello ****,

Your request to have your device unlocked has been reviewed. Unfortunately, your device is not eligible to be unlocked at this time. Your device is scheduled to automatically unlock 60 days after your purchase/activation date.

If you purchased your device as a part of a monthly payment agreement, you have the option of paying the remaining balance off from a Verizon Retail Store and resubmitting the unlock request prior to the scheduled unlock date.

For more information about Verizon's Device Locking Policy, please visit the support page on verizonwireless.com.

Keep in mind that your Verizon SIM will work while making calls to or traveling internationally.

For more information about Verizon's international calling plans and TravelPass, visit our International Solutions and Services page.

Thank you

Verizon"

0 Likes
tdcody
Enthusiast - Level 2

Verizon is required by law to unlock phones meeting their criteria (which have been approved by the FCC) and is required to adhere to their published unlocking policy. If they are not, file a complaint with the FCC:

https://consumercomplaints.fcc.gov/hc/en-us/articles/360001201223-Phone-Form-Descriptions-of-Complai...

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for sharing those details with me about what you had received regarding the unlock request denial, tdcody. You're well within your consumer rights to pursue a complaint with the FCC as well, but I think we can help here. Please be on the lookout for a private message from us so we can assist.

-Joseph

0 Likes
allanc30
Enthusiast - Level 1

Joseph - please help me as well.  Same thing is happening to my wifes account. We are trying to switch to Tmobile and verizon refuses to unlock the phone even though it was paid in full in 2019. We called Verizon 4 days and got the same denial email as above.