Verizon Voicemail app not automatically refreshing
BJBBJB
Enthusiast - Level 3

There was another thread about this but it was closed out without a solution.

I have been on android and Verizon a long......Time.

Never have seen this. The last month or so when a call comes in and someone leaves a voicemail, I get no number by the voicemail icon. Yes the notification badge setting is on.

Also when I open the Verizon app the voicemail is not there until I manually go into the menu and hit refresh.  Then it shows up.

I am on the free version of voicemail.

This is NEW behavior. U sure if android update or voicemail app update. On Note 20 ultra 

Any assistance appreciated.  Please no scripted response.  I already called support. Solution?  Turn off wifi...no...doesn't help.

Thanks.

Labels (1)
1 Solution
maryvandalen
Enthusiast - Level 2

TRY THIS. 

Go to Settings-Apps-Voicemail, scroll down to Battery. Turn on  UNRESTRICTED. E-Mail, Text and Phone are all unrestricted. The other settings, Optimized, Restricted, etc. are for battery useage.  IMHO, I think the VM app button "goes to sleep" after a bit and probably is supposed to "wake up" when a VM comes in but it isn't. 

I made all the suggested changes and nothing worked for mo0re than a day. I made this one change and by the tome I closed the Settings App and went to my home page I had notifications of VMs and when I clicked on the app button they immediately popped up.

View solution in original post

35 Replies
Jpkellman
Enthusiast - Level 1

Same exact issue. Would be nice to post a solution with so many people experiencing the same problem. 

0 Likes
wmcombs
Enthusiast - Level 2

Agreed. Both my Galaxy S21 and my wife's are doing this now and it's incredibly frustrating. Maybe it's linked to the latest update we got but whatever the cause, Verizon should be posting a fix instead of making us all jump through hoops.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi, there! We want to make sure you get the support you need today. Please send us a Private Note for assistance.

*Anna

0 Likes
wmcombs
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ok, here's what fixed it on my Galaxy S21 just now (thanks to a couple of reddit threads!)

• Go to main Settings and find Apps
  • Go to Voicemail and then to Storage
  • Press "Clear Data" at the bottom of the screen
  • Now exit and go find the voicemail and start it.
  • Go through the set-up process for Basic Visual Voicemail again

If you read the pages during setup, you'll  notice that one says something to the effect of "because of changes to your phone, you will need to set up basic visual voicemail again." Go through the setup procedures for visual voicemail, including waiting for it to process and then starting the app again. This has solved my notification problem on both of our S21 phones. Obviously, something got changed in the update that requires re-registering for basic visual voicemail in order to get the notifications.

You're welcome, Verizon. 😞

mattezell

Thanks for sharing this... 

Unfortunately, these steps didn't work for me on my S22U...

I've not had Voicemail work properly since getting my S22 - I have to manually open the Voicemail application to get it to refresh in order to check for new messages.

Verizon, what gives? There are many threads about this very issue over the last couple of years, with a majority of them seemingly being related to Samsung phones purchased through Verizon.

No, I will not DM you - provide a solution here.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I'm so sorry for the confusion; we ask to DM to keep your account personal information secured. Once we find a solution, you are more than welcome to share it to help other users; that is the benefit of the community forum. We appreciate your patience during this process!-Evelyn

0 Likes
wmcombs
Enthusiast - Level 2

Unfortunately, VZW either assigns bots to respond to these forums or reps who just paste form responses instead of actually trying to solve what seems to be a very widespread problem.

My solution above worked for a few weeks and then it started happening again. I repeated the steps and it seems to have helped but I'm not relishing the thought of having to play Russian roulette with my VM messages while VZW ignores its customers. 

And if you see a "Send me a private message post" after this, you'll know my first sentence was right. Hey VZW, how about you send us a private message? We're the ones paying you, remember?

0 Likes
maryvandalen
Enthusiast - Level 2

TRY THIS. 

Go to Settings-Apps-Voicemail, scroll down to Battery. Turn on  UNRESTRICTED. E-Mail, Text and Phone are all unrestricted. The other settings, Optimized, Restricted, etc. are for battery useage.  IMHO, I think the VM app button "goes to sleep" after a bit and probably is supposed to "wake up" when a VM comes in but it isn't. 

I made all the suggested changes and nothing worked for mo0re than a day. I made this one change and by the tome I closed the Settings App and went to my home page I had notifications of VMs and when I clicked on the app button they immediately popped up.

Ln10
Enthusiast - Level 1

THIS WORKED!

For over month since last update voicemail notifications not automatically refreshing. Hours on phone with Verizon doing Everything and still not working.  Verizon never suggested looking at battery settings.  But finally this worked!

A million thank yous. 

0 Likes
wmcombs
Enthusiast - Level 2

Glad it worked for you, Mary, and hope it continues to function correctly.

In my case, I have had voicemail set to never sleep in my power management settings all of this time and still it keeps switching back to not displaying notifications after a week or so. Going through set-up again always gets it going again but it's certainly a step no one should have to take with a service for which they pay good money. Come to think of it, no extra steps should be what we pay for when it comes to a basic service like notifications.

0 Likes
Ln10
Enthusiast - Level 1

I followed her instructions and it worked for me. Hours on phone with Verizon tech and they never suggested battery settings. Nothing worked until I changed battery to unrestricted.

0 Likes
cb_2367
Enthusiast - Level 3

I've had this issue going on for two weeks now which is how long I've been a customer for. I've spent hours on chats and phone calls only for "temporary fixes" to be implemented. No matter how many times I try to explain that I don't get notifications or voicemails until I refresh the app, it's countless times of "lets check the notifications and make sure they are on." Notifications ARE on, voicemail battery setting is on UNRESTRICTED.  Verizon reps are also telling me to contact the manufacturer which would be Samsung. I've done that multiple times and Samsung absolutely will NOT help. I'm in the middle of this with Verizon telling me to contact Samsung and Samsung telling me to contact Verizon.

Came to Verizon and got the S23 Ultra because of having issues with voicemail for over a year on AT&T with no resolution while using the S22 Ultra and that follows the upgrade to the S22 Ultra because of voicemail issues with the S21.  Steps done so far: had phone refreshed on network, had voicemail refreshed by Verizon support, verified notifications are on, change battery setting on voicemail app to unrestricted.

Too much of a coincidence for voicemail issues to be present on the 21, 22, and now the 23 over two carriers. 

0 Likes
Guttmann

Is there a real fix for this yet? I've restarted the phone and cleared the cache. I don't particularly want to delete data but I could back it up and try it guess. It's happing for a lll 3 members of our family. Voice mail is important, I don't understand how Verizon could mess it up so bad where you have to manually refresh your voicemail every time you think someone could've left one.  That's ridiculous...

0 Likes
Guttmann

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We would be happy to assist you with your concern. Please private message us for further assistance.    *Mabell

0 Likes
BJBBJB
Enthusiast - Level 3

I am the OP and once again, my voicemail app has stopped auto refreshing!  I have missed 3 voicemails this week due to this.   I started this thread in March of last year......and several others have had the same issue.

When I fixed it last year I tried all kinds of things suggested by support (see thread) and one of them fixed the issue as noted above.

Since it has been almost a year, and several have had this issue on this thread (and I am sure many more not on there thread), does Verizon know:

1) What causes the issue?  So voicemail auto-refresh works for months, unitil it doesn't.

2) What are the specific steps that fix the issue and cause it to auto-refresh again.  When I was working through this it was trial and error.  I assume that by now, there is a specific recommended fix?  I would prefer the actual fix vs. trying 3 or 4 things like last time. 

Thanks for the help,

BJBBJB

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for reaching out to us. We would be happy to look into this further, please send us a PM, so we can further assist. *Gian

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We always want you to have full access to your services, and we can gladly provide any support you need. We will be creating a Private Note to further assist you, please be on the lookout for it! 

*Michael

0 Likes
GTLX

Hello, I seem to have the same problem.  A coupe of months ago I bought an unlocked phone Samsung S22 from Best Buy's Verizon counter.   Apparently people leave me VMs when the phone is off and the VMs don't appear as Notifications even after I open the Voicemail app.  The phone does give me a notification if the phone is turned on at the time of the call. 

If I turn the phone on and open the VM app and refresh it does show the messages for that previous time that the phone was off, however, if I don't remember to go into the app and refresh it seems that the VM disappears.

I think that this may have only started happening a couple of weeks ago.  

Verizon, we have been your customer for a long time now, can you please help?

0 Likes
BJBBJB
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hope you got this working. When I had the issue I tried so many things I am not 100% sure what finally worked.  I believe I ended up uninstalling and or deleting cache or data. I then remember the voice-mail resetting up, pulling down the messages that were there which were the same as the uninstall....then from then on voice-mail refreshed automatically, I got notifications and the number icon badge count.

0 Likes