Verizon WiFi Auto-On App Compatability
johnkuczek
Enthusiast - Level 2

The app "Verizon WiFi Auto-On" in the Android Market at https://market.android.com/details?id=com.vzw.wificonnect does not work for the Verizon Samsung Galaxy Nexus. The Market states it is compatable and allows it to be downloaded and installed, but when the app is launched the following error is shown and the app closes: This application is only for Verizon Wireless subscribers.

This is a very important app for battery savings. There are quite a few users who are commenting that it does not work on the SGN.

0 Likes
Re: Verizon WiFi Auto-On App Compatability
Wildman
Legend

Are you sure this feature isn't already in the stock software?  My Thunderbolt seems to disable wifi until I get in range of paired wifi router and this feature seemed to be added through the software update.

0 Likes
johnkuczek
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have only had my SGN for a couple days, so I am not sure.

Can you check your Battery Use for me to see if WiFi consuming battery when you are away from a WAP? On my Incredible, I would use about 40% due to the WiFi search, until I found this app. (I only have WiFi at home and the Incredible would search all day at work, draining the battery...) The app bought me about 4-5 hours of additional battery life.

Does the TBolt use Sense? If so maybe HTC added something, but since the SGN is a GED, there is very little added by the manufacturer.

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

johnkuczek wrote:

I have only had my SGN for a couple days, so I am not sure.

Can you check your Battery Use for me to see if WiFi consuming battery when you are away from a WAP? On my Incredible, I would use about 40% due to the WiFi search, until I found this app. (I only have WiFi at home and the Incredible would search all day at work, draining the battery...) The app bought me about 4-5 hours of additional battery life.

I checked the battery use status and wifi only shows a 1% power user with the power efficiency and battery saver options enabled...

johnkuczek wrote:

Does the TBolt use Sense? If so maybe HTC added something, but since the SGN is a GED, there is very little added by the manufacturer.

The Thunderbolt does use Sense and the option is usually under Settings / Power menu on most Android devices.

0 Likes
johnkuczek
Enthusiast - Level 2

There is no "Power" option on the SGN in the settings menu, so I am guessing that this is an added feature of Sense.

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

I am starting to think this also....

0 Likes
jrez

Is this still the case over a year later?  Even after a hideously-late update to Jelly Bean yesterday?  I really can't believe Verizon is dropping the ball so shamelessly with the Galaxy Nexus.  Congrats on a complete failure, VZW...

0 Likes