Verizon allowing used phones to be sold as new
Integrity
Enthusiast - Level 1

For everyone who has purchased a NEW phone-- maybe its not so new after all. 

Not only do I have solid concrete evidence of the facts (in writing)  I am really wondering just how many OTHERS are out there.  Recently I purchased a phone at Target through Radio Shack, a Verizon agent. My wife’s phone is a Galaxy Fascinate.  Within the first week several problems were repeatedly occurring. Of course Taget/Radio Shack say that we have to go through Verizon to have the issue resolved.  Verizon anxious to remedy the problem says they will send out a refurbished phone. Hmmm I think to my self if I purchased any other product in this life (new car, tv, computer etc etc) they don’t turn around and give a used one back now do they?  But since this is their policy, we are forced (however, at this time we still are thinking we purchased a new phone from the beginning)  

The refurb comes, still have issues , now this time with ram memory. Not only am i frustrated but I am questioning the Integrity of Verizon/Target/Radio Shack. After a number of phone calls we are blessed to find someone who really is honest, they tell us that the phone (the original phone) was used and that Verizon had knowledge of it since day one since every phone has its own id, its stored on their system when its time to activate a phone.  We are told that we need to go back to Target -- we do and Target says we have to go to Verizon.  We went to the Verizon store in Carlsbad, spoke to Josh the mgr.  --In between that time we were able to get the names of the former owner (and phone number too) and wait till you hear this-- the newest owner of my wife’s previous new phone.  Allow me to recap so it makes sense.

We purchased a (new/used) phone  --major problems

refurb one comes- major problems- learn phone 1 was used

Refurb number 2 -- currently is having problems-  We learn who was previous owner and also learn of the most recent owner of phone number 1.& given a print out.   I contact newest owner and tell her who I am and for authentication give her all the info that I have. She tells me she purchased the phone new from Verizon store on August 16 . On August 12 I received the typical email as everyone does

Remember to return your defective device within 5 calendar days of receiving your replacement device to avoid being charged up to full retail price, which could exceed $500.  I then received confirmation of the phone being received on August 15.  

So apparently, according to the new owner of my wife’s old/new phone she pursed it NEW from  a Verizon store.   Back to how Verizon (store mgr, Josh)  he wanted to know my source of this information (like I was going to give it to him)  he said he would be right back and after 10 minutes returned to tell me that i would have to find the name on my own of the Verizon rep who handles Target.

I thank him for his time and now I am contacting outside sources since i have told I am on my own. My wife is on refurb number 3 and its also has major problems, But its my promise to Verizon that i will do everything in my power legally and ethically to make sure the news of this is published.

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Verizon allowing used phones to be sold as new
ChristinaB_VZW
Verizon Employee

Hi Biggrikk,

I really want to stress that Verizon Wireless does not sell used phones as new phones. Each phone that is sold for a new line activation or an upgrade for an existing line of service is a new phone. 

We do sell Certified Pre-Owned phones at a lower cost with a service agreement, but these phones are advertised as pre-owned phones and are not new. The phone is marked with "Certified Pre-Owned" before clicking on it on the website. You are able to view them by clicking on this link:

Phones

Your posting mentions that you were sent replacement phones. Your manufacturer's warranty provides an equipment replacement option for up to one year from the date of purchase. So, the warranty on your device was covered by Samsung. The warranty is the reason that you were getting replacement devices of the same model. 

In addition, I assure you that certified like-new wireless devices pass over a 100-point quality check before they can be offered as replacements.

Quality checkpoints for Certified Pre-Owned and Certified Like-New Replacement devices are the following:

• Visual Cosmetic Inspection 
  • Functional Inspection 
  • Computerized Radio Frequency Testing 
  • Functional Repair and Reconditioning
  • Cosmetic Repair and Reconditioning 
  • Computerized Software Updates if available
  • Final Quality Audit 

I hope this information is helpful for you and answers some questions. Have a great day!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
SLCwHTCINC
Enthusiast - Level 2

I read your email with interest.   I have never had a problem like this because when I buy a phone from VZW I always do it online. By doing it that way I can tell by the way the item is packed what is going on with it.  Also, when you buy online the rebate comes right off the price.  Nothing to mail in.   If you are correct it what you say (I am not saying you are not, just making an allowance) by doing online no one in the store can open it behind a counter so you cannot see what is going on.  Also, I never, ever, deal with a reseller.  One time I went into one with a friend and she asked to see a phone. The man in the store opened a brand new phone and showed it to her and then replaced it in the box.

Elitist_Jerk
Contributor - Level 2

have you ever had a smartphone before? I'm really concerned you have had to have 3 replacements now...

This is a major reason to buy direct from Verizon. Indirect are shady and if you bring your phone back within 14 days they will turn around and sell it as a new device. As far as getting a refurb its standard in the electronics industry.  If your xbox breaks you don't get a brand new xbox, you get a refurb.

0 Likes
Jwoww
Enthusiast - Level 2

Elitist_Jerk wrote:

have you ever had a smartphone before? I'm really concerned you have had to have 3 replacements now...

This is a major reason to buy direct from Verizon. Indirect are shady and if you bring your phone back within 14 days they will turn around and sell it as a new device. As far as getting a refurb its standard in the electronics industry.  If your xbox breaks you don't get a brand new xbox, you get a refurb.

Depends on the warranty type and/or insurance. My stepdad went through 3 brand new PS2's back in the day. They kept overheating and melting inside, so it was no fault of the consumer (dad) and they sent new replacements until they finally sent one from a non-defective batch. The kicker was when one melted inside just from being plugged in (not even played with yet!!!)

Not applicable

Integrity,

Good afternoon and welcome to the community!

Verizon Wireless takes great pride in the products and services we sell.  In-direct agents or authorized dealers purchase their own inventory and manage it themselves. That is not to take away accountability from Verizon Wireless. We do not knowing allow used phones to be sold as new. If you can PM me with the name and location of that store I will provide feedback to the area manager to ensure they follow our guidelines and procedures properly. 

Our customers receive a Certified Like-New replacement device per the manufacturer warranty, if the phone is deemed defective.

Also, PM me with the issues your current device is experiencing so I may help you resolve those!

Thank you!

0 Likes
mdram4x4
Champion - Level 1

Integrity wrote:

For everyone who has purchased a NEW phone-- maybe its not so new after all. 

Not only do I have solid concrete evidence of the facts (in writing)  I am really wondering just how many OTHERS are out there.  Recently I purchased a phone at Target through Radio Shack,first problem onl;y by from verizon

a Verizon agent. My wife’s phone is a Galaxy Fascinate.  Within the first week several problems were repeatedly occurring. Of course Taget/Radio Shack say that we have to go through Verizon to have the issue resolved.  Verizon anxious to remedy the problem says they will send out a refurbished phone. Hmmm I think to my self if I purchased any other product in this life (new car, tv, computer etc etc) they don’t turn around and give a used one back now do they?  But since this is their policy, we are forced (however, at this time we still are thinking we purchased a new phone from the beginning)  

The refurb comes, still have issues , now this time with ram memory. Not only am i frustrated but I am questioning the Integrity of Verizon/Target/Radio Shack.After a number of phone calls we are blessed to find someone who really is honest, they tell us that the phone (the original phone) was used and that Verizon had knowledge of it since day one since every phone has its own id, its stored on their system when its time to activate a phone.  We are told that we need to go back to Target -- we do and Target says we have to go to Verizon.  We went to the Verizon store in Carlsbad, spoke to Josh the mgr.  --In between that time we were able to get the names of the former owner (and phone number too) and wait till you hear this-- the newest owner of my wife’s previous new phone.  Allow me to recap so it makes sense.

this is a major issue, i dont care what you have they should not give you my phone number

We purchased a (new/used) phone  --major problems

refurb one comes- major problems- learn phone 1 was used

Refurb number 2 -- currently is having problems-  We learn who was previous owner and also learn of the most recent owner of phone number 1.& given a print out.   I contact newest owner and tell her who I am and for authentication give her all the info that I have. She tells me she purchased the phone new from Verizon store on August 16 . On August 12 I received the typical email as everyone does

Remember to return your defective device within 5 calendar days of receiving your replacement device to avoid being charged up to full retail price, which could exceed $500.  I then received confirmation of the phone being received on August 15.  this is explained in the paperwork

So apparently, according to the new owner of my wife’s old/new phone she pursed it NEW from  a Verizon store.   Back to how Verizon (store mgr, Josh)  he wanted to know my source of this information (like I was going to give it to him)  he said he would be right back and after 10 minutes returned to tell me that i would have to find the name on my own of the Verizon rep who handles Target.

I thank him for his time and now I am contacting outside sources since i have told I am on my own. My wife is on refurb number 3 and its also has major problems, But its my promise to Verizon that i will do everything in my power legally and ethically to make sure the news of this is published.

verizon sells certified pre owned devices as well as new

could be that people pick the cheaper and think they are new

also what are the problems you are having

three phone, all with issues, could be an app

biggrikk

My wife has been through the same scenario. Went through 3 Fascinate phones ( the new phone when we signed up for the plan, and two refurbished phones) until finally, Verizon allowed her to receive a new and upgraded phone...the Samsung Charge as a replacement for all of our troubles. At first, I was trying to figure out why the refurbished phones had just as many problems if not more than some of the newer phones. It dawned on me that Verizon probably takes those problematic phones and puts them right back on the shelf for some other sucker to receive that phone and return it weeks later for the same problems. The phones cannot be refurbished by certified electronic technicians sitting at their bench with soldering iron and test equipment in hand, replacing those little microscopic components. All those little circuit boards are layed out and fabricated by robotic machines located in high-tech Japanese companies. There are no user-serviceable parts inside. You cannot go out to your local Radio Shack store and replace a shorted out resistor or capacitor on your phone. Once the components go bad inside a phone, it is better just to toss it in the trash. Why do you think there are no more or very little TV repair shops in town anymore. It's just not practical to repair these high-tech flat screen TV's. In the old days, TV's were bigger, the components were bigger and most of the parts were available at most electronic parts stores.

In reality, a refurbished "anything" is just an item that was turned on, and if it works at that particular moment by the technician, it gets placed back on the shelf waiting for the next consumer to purchase it.

0 Likes
jd12
Enthusiast - Level 3

I hope that is not true but I don't doubt it being true. I would think that to be a true refurbished phone it would have to be sent back to the manufacture to be fixed.

0 Likes
ChristinaB_VZW
Verizon Employee

Hi Biggrikk,

I really want to stress that Verizon Wireless does not sell used phones as new phones. Each phone that is sold for a new line activation or an upgrade for an existing line of service is a new phone. 

We do sell Certified Pre-Owned phones at a lower cost with a service agreement, but these phones are advertised as pre-owned phones and are not new. The phone is marked with "Certified Pre-Owned" before clicking on it on the website. You are able to view them by clicking on this link:

Phones

Your posting mentions that you were sent replacement phones. Your manufacturer's warranty provides an equipment replacement option for up to one year from the date of purchase. So, the warranty on your device was covered by Samsung. The warranty is the reason that you were getting replacement devices of the same model. 

In addition, I assure you that certified like-new wireless devices pass over a 100-point quality check before they can be offered as replacements.

Quality checkpoints for Certified Pre-Owned and Certified Like-New Replacement devices are the following:

• Visual Cosmetic Inspection 
  • Functional Inspection 
  • Computerized Radio Frequency Testing 
  • Functional Repair and Reconditioning
  • Cosmetic Repair and Reconditioning 
  • Computerized Software Updates if available
  • Final Quality Audit 

I hope this information is helpful for you and answers some questions. Have a great day!

0 Likes
Smokie11
Contributor - Level 1

Used replacement phones to address a problem with a new phone purchase is inherently wrong,  I work in the electronics repair field and remanufactured or refurbished parts never ever come close to solving a problem like a brand new replacement.  The facility that tests the returned phone cannot ever exactly duplicate the conditions that caused the original problem which could be related to temperature, vibration, humidity or many other factors.

Since my job is to diagnose electronic equipment I can tell you that the easiest problem to diagnose correctly is the one where the malfunction can be exactly duplicated as described by the customer, in real life this is actually quite difficult since most problems are intermittent and only occur when the software & hardware interact under very specific and narrow parameters that are not likely to be duplicated in a test facility.

I don't mean to imply that returned phones should thrown away, many returned items are not defective at all, the customer simply didn't know how to use properly. However there is also a significant percentage of phones that the real problem cannot be duplicated in a test facility and will the pass all the tests, are released back into circulation when nothing was fixed and will become a problem again to the customer that received that phone as a replacement.

The proper, ethical way to treat a customer who paid for a brand new phone is to provide a brand new phone as replacement for a defective phone, if the customer purchased a used phone, you replace that one with a used phone, If you have a surplus of returned used phones that have been "tested" and declared "like new" again simply sell them as used phones. A customer that purchased a brand new phone with a problem should never be used as a guinea pig with somebody else's problem phone.

0 Likes