Re: Verizon doesn't deserve a Nexus Device
Tidbits
Legend

@TheVTech Did you know the G2X is also a "Google" Android Phone?

This is what a Google Experience device is.

A device that can use all Google Apps if installed (Wallet works on the Verizon Nexus)

A device that does not have a OEM skin(blur, Sense, Touchwiz, etc).

The G2X for T-Mobile is a Google experience device and it has T-Mobile bloatware on it, and it has no skin, and can use all of Google apps (minus wallet due to no NFC which at the time Wallet didn't exist anyway).

Google was the one that said it would get Timely updates, and I have proof from JBQ(Lead developer).  From before the device came out if you check those threads I have written and said that's not possible.  They are different as CDMA requires multiple signatures from OEM, to Qualcomm, then to Verizon.  GSM just needs 1 signature.

I have loaded the leak GB and I will tell you the radios are still in the testing phase.  Which means Qualcomm is the one slacking.  I left my Nexus at work so I can't take screenshots of the battery meter and the network drops every so often(When mine never used to do this), and sometimes it says I have signal, but I can't make a call here and there unless I go into airplane mode and back out of airplane mode.  I know it's the radio as when I revert to an older radio all the problems go away. 

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

DoctorDeDroid wrote:

the reasoning behind this ***p is simple: the guy (or more likely marketing committee) who is responsible for this isn't going to get fired... they are going to get a BONUS because this makes us fools who stay with this company double down on their terms and get a new phone so we can have an updated os!  This helps them because they can push us off the older less lucrative service agreement and lock us in for two more years.  That's why.

that's a stretch. you're on a 2 year contract. you're not even eligible for an upgrade until more than a year from now. by the time you are, there will be another update and even with JB, your OS will be outdated. there is nobody with a vzn nexus that is upgrade eligible, and that they can sign to another 2 years, by delaying this update. JB is 2 months old. verizon has never pushed in update of android within 2 months of it's release. the nexus will get the update before any other verizon device, but verizon has always taken their time in testing (and loading bloatware). heck, they didn't even launch the gsiii until after everyone else.

DoctorDeDroid
Contributor - Level 2

Perhaps I should have put it differently, and with the "this is a conspiracy theory" disclaimer:

I don't honestly think that Verizon (or any other carrier) has any incentive whatsoever to even issue an update.  FORGET the iPhone.  That's under Apple's total control.  But you said it yourself: "... your OS will be outdated..." and so you're more likely to get a new phone... and if you do that, you renew to another two year contract because you don't want to pay $700 for a phone.... but you do anyway because according to others, the price of your data plan etc. contains a small tax which over the life of your contract makes up the $500 you didn't have to pay.  If you have a phone capable of running the latest and greatest Android... the incentive to upgrade the phone is diminished (at least from my perspective...)

We have a pure android phone... what's the hold up?  The Nexus is sold as something that is supposed to get timely updates... hasn't happened.  Some technical issue?  Evidently not for the GSM versions.  Sprint is CDMA and the radio is evidently good enough although they weren't all that quick out of the gate either.  I can't imagine what sort of technical hold up there could be at this point. 

0 Likes
CHRIS42060
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have been using Google Wallet on my Verizon Nexus since the day I got it.  I never edited the build.prop file.  Actually on my last warranty replacement Nexus I used Google Wallet with the bootloader completely locked.  Oddly enough Verizon had it blocked from the Play Store, but after the FCC slapped Verizon with a fine and they unblocked tethering apps that changed for a short time in the store if you navigated directly to the Google Wallet page.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

You are not paying attention to what I am saying.  Your device is Nexus it WILL always work whether you side load on install it through the market.

Buy a One S for T-Mobile, a S3 from AT&T, or Any Android device that is NOT with Sprint that has NFC.  Oops it's blocked by Google even when you sideload it.  Change the build.prop to a Nexus S or Galaxy Nexus, or any of the Sprint devices VIOLA it works!

0 Likes
CHRIS42060
Enthusiast - Level 3

Google is not blocking it because they have an exclusive deal with Sprint.  The other carriers have requested it to be blocked because AT&T, T-Mobile, and Verizon have teamed up for Isis.  They will make money off of Isis, so in true corporate fashion they have requested that Google block their devices from being able to download the competition (Google Wallet) they do not make a dime from.  This was confirmed in a December 2011 CNET article with a Google rep confirmed Verizon asked them not to include functionality.  There were articles going around in June about Sprint working on their own NFC payment system.  I doubt they would actually be doing that if there was some type of exclusivity agreement with Google for Google Wallet.

0 Likes
cynindesign
Contributor - Level 2

Tibits, my phone is unlocked and (Edited content to comply with VZW ToS)....I installed Google Wallet and I get "Unsupported device:  Learn More" at the top of the GW's home screen. 

The "Learn More" refers to "some users my disable important security mechanisms in order to gain system-level (Edited content to comply with VZW ToS) access to their device.  We strongly discourage doing so if you plan to use Google Wallet. We are unable to support devices w/ unauthorized operating systems as the security layers of the device may be limited." Would I get rid of that error message if the phone was locked and not (Edited content to comply with VZW ToS)

I was thinking to installing JB, but I think I'll return it back to locked and factory ICS 4.0.4   I thought the backup was entire and didn't back up my pictures manually....it didn't mention to do this, so I've lost a lot of pics of my dog Susie that was recently put down.  I was so heart broken I just didn't go further w/ JB.  I looked every where I thought they might be, the directories/folders were empty

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

WHat about MobiPCS, MetroPCS, and all the other carriers?  AS I said before they are being blocked as well and you can bet they don't care if you use it or not.  You have to modify the build.prop to get it to work with those devices on those carriers.

0 Likes
nexus_truth
Enthusiast - Level 3
I didn't modify anything. I downloaded it from play store. I agree with Chris and have read some of the same articles he is referencing. It's not exclusive with Sprint. What you have to remember is most smaller carriers use the larger carriers networks. Google wants as many people to use their applications as possible
0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Dude you are not looking at the facts.  AS I SAID any Nexus device out of box can use all of the Google apps out of the box regardless if you download them from the market or side load them.

If you do NOT have a Nexus device there is no promise it will work, and if you install Wallet on ANY NFC capable device that is not a Nexus you HAVE to modify the build.prop to SPRINT or a NEXUS device to get it to work.  There's you exclusivity right there.

Also when Verizon marked the Galaxy Nexus as EXCLUSIVE it was quickly taken down.  So if Sprint didn't have an exclusive deal then why are they ALLOWED to market as such?  Come on now...  Use your head.

0 Likes