Verizon has ruined the Nexus experience
greno
Enthusiast - Level 3

Verizon has completely ruined the Nexus experience with the Samsung Galaxy Nexus.

Verizon is illegally blocking Google Wallet which is an integral part of the Android ecosystem.

Google was left with no choice but to remove Verizon's Samsung Galaxy Nexus from it's Support Pages.

ISIS/Verizon is trying to monopolize the Nexus to use only its payment system.

The whole point of Nexus is that it allows everyone to play.

People should have a choice of Google Wallet or ISIS.   Let consumers decide what they like.

Again, Verizon has completely ruined the Nexus and I'm probably going to return my Nexus and get a REAL Nexus from AT&T.

0 Likes
Re: Verizon has ruined the Nexus experience
Tidbits
Legend

It has already been explained by Google why 9/10 of the stuff you complained about has little to do with Verizon.

As for Wallet. There is only one phone that supports it officially... Nexus S. There are ways to get it on your phone with no hacks required.

Have fun with AT&T. Just make sure they have the coverage you need.

0 Likes
greno
Enthusiast - Level 3

The whole point of Nexus is so that you can get updates directly from Google.

First, it provides much better security.

Second, the Nexus is also a phone for developers so that they can develop and test on.

Can I get updates directly from Google on Verizon's bastardized Galaxy Nexus?   NO !!

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

YES. Google explained that months ago...

0 Likes
greno
Enthusiast - Level 3

Google had to explain things cause you can be damn sure that Verizon wouldn't.

There is no good reason for any of this.

From the stupid signing key FUBAR on the APK's to the Google Wallet fiasco.

Google and Verizon need to put down the hatchets and make things work for the customer base.

The signing key thing is solvable.  So solve it !!

Same goes for the Google Wallet nonsense.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

greno wrote:

Google had to explain things cause you can be **** sure that Verizon wouldn't.

There is no good reason for any of this.

From the stupid signing key FUBAR on the APK's to the Google Wallet fiasco.

Google and Verizon need to put down the hatchets and make things work for the customer base.

The signing key thing is solvable.  So solve it !!

Same goes for the Google Wallet nonsense.

If YOU paid any attention to what Google explained.  CDMA devices has ALWAYS been the way they were.  Look at Google source pages and you will see the Sprint Nexus S 4G doesn't have the same source files you are talking about...  It has NOTHING to do with the carriers, and more to do licensing with the people who hold the patent with CDMA technology.  Verizon and Sprint use those technologies, but don't own the technology patents. Go do your research some more.  There are 10 other threads about this and was already discussed.

Now as for Wallet. It is NOT an integral part of the Android experience. If it was then other devices would have it too that are NFC enabled.  Which it isn't and all those devices are working fine without Wallet.  Verizon and Google went up front and said the delay has NOTHING to do with wallet.  Verizon stated security concerns, and Verizon HAS to work out a deal with Google.  Sure enough a lot of stuff popped up especially for root users.  It has NOTHING to do with Isis being preferred.  Sprint has a deal in place and it's probably an exclusive deal.  It is speculated Google doesn't want to pay to break the exclusivity deal, and Verizon doesn't want to either because they didn't make the deal in the first place.    Now as I said months ago...  If Isis came Google could code wallet to work with Isis as well a pay pass so it's actually a moot point and there would need to be a deal between Verizon, the people who control Isis, and Google.  Verizon already went on record they are NOT blocking wallet.

So read the other threads there's links and such which explain what's going on...  Stop being all emotional over a phone... Welcome to first world problems...

0 Likes
greno
Enthusiast - Level 3

Why does Sprint not have the signing key problem while Verizon does?  They both use CDMA technologies.  This appears to be a Verizon specific signing key problem.

The part about security concerns regarding Google Wallet only applies to root users. Yes, I can understand that problem.  But it shouldn't mean that Verizon should be removing Google Wallet or making it nye impossible to get Google Wallet installed for REGULAR users.  

And I agree though that Google needs to come up with a different security strategy long-term for Google Wallet so that root users will not have any vulnerabilities with Google Wallet.  Seems like about half of Nexus users are rooting their phones so it is important.  However, Verizon should not be holding Google Wallet hostage for regular users.   And right now root users do understand they may have a vulnerability when using Google Wallet.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Look Sprint CDMA code isn't present for the Nexus S 4G...  The reason why some roms work and such like CyanogenMod is because they use a hack to bypass security.  Kmob and Cyanogen already said that when this whole thing happened.  They don't blame Sprint, Verizon, or Google either in this regard.  It's the patents that are held by qualcomm and few other companies.

There is still a security concerns even for the non rooted users.  All I need to do is get my hands on your device and I could use your cards and you pin is useless.  All one needs to do is clear data and cache of Wallet and make a new pin.  Oh I forgot to mention...  Wallet can break your secure element...  Google bug reports are filled with people who had to replace their devices on Sprint due to the secure element being corrupted.

You know if people were using it and crap hits the fan they'll find some way to blame Verizon for it.  Also there's another part to the problem...  Google has a deal with Sprint, and it's only officially on the Nexus S 4G and no other devices.  I bet Google wants Verizon to buy out the contract instead of paying it themselves.  If I was Verizon I wouldn't do it.  If I was T-Mobile or any other company I wouldn't do it.

FYI if wallet was that important to you...  You can install it WITHOUT hacking and straight from the market.  I have it on my phone for the past few days.

0 Likes
greno
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yes, I just finally loaded Google Wallet without having to root.  So it is possible - but tricky using the browser back button and all.

And I thought to clear Wallet cache and data you had to be on a rooted phone.  If you tried to root my device then you would wipe out everything so how could you use my cards?

Did see the secure element issues regarding Google Wallet.  That seems like just a bug that they need to squash.  Not everybody is having that issue.

Again, I wish Google and Verizon would get all this sorted out so that we have a REAL Nexus experience on Verizon.  Including being supported in Google developer support pages.  They should have ironed all this out back when they were planning to release the Samsung Galaxy Nexus instead of having all this black-eyes in the press about Nexus on Verizon.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

No you don't. You can just go into your application settings and clear data and cache from there.

0 Likes