Verizon’s Galaxy Nexus is Now 3 Updates Behind Other Nexus Devices
Gizim

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/11/29/verizons-galaxy-nexus-is-now-3-updates-behind-other-nexus-devic...

This is completely unacceptable .. I got a Nexus device because I wanted long support from Google. Why is Verizon doing this? On top of that Google refused to put the Nexus 4 on Verizon because of Verizon's choice to hold back updating...

0 Likes
Re: Verizon’s Galaxy Nexus is Now 3 Updates Behind Other Nexus Devices
DoctorDeDroid
Contributor - Level 2

This is expected from our "beloved" carrier.  Look what they did with the 4.1 update... we were DEAD LAST to get it.  This from the premiere cellular provider in America!!!!  As usual, the so-called "best rating" by consumer reports serves only to validate VZW's "We stink less, so we can do anything we want to our customers" policy, and this relatively lowbrow mentality marches on to this day.  VZW, you are only the best we can get.  The level of frustration serves to force people to do things to their phones (and I state this in a sanitized way so that VZW's thought police will leave this post be,  MAYBE) that void warranties and so on.  And it is no surprise that the NX 4 isn't on VZW either.  The Nexus line very likely makes far less money for VZW since they are not allowed to load bloatware on the device (like what Motorola allows...)... although my GNEX did have ONE pre-installed VZW app.  At least it didn't have absolute and total garbage like twitter, facebook and the EVER popular amazon mp3 store.  Look at the piles of d*g ex******t put onto the Moto phones.

I will say one thing... if a carrier comes along with on-par coverage, and an unlimited plan without the kind of shenanigans that this one (and to be fair, the current, comparable, competitors are not much better) plays, *I AM OUTTA HERE*

Oh, and in case you there at VZW missed it... YES, I AM ANGRY WITH HOW THESE UPDATES ARE HANDLED BY YOU!  If the GNEX devices updated directly by Google are running 4.2.1 then there SHOULD BE NO REASON AT ALL that it would take THIS MUCH TIME to validate the LTE versions.  I believe VZW simply wants us to have a device that THEY can effectively obsolete any time they see fit...  but not so fast, me buck-o's... you are not going to be able to do that with me.  Frankly, I'd rather not have to resort to warranty-voiding procedures to get bug fixes, but if I HAVE to... and it's YOU, and only YOU, that would make me have to.

CHRIS42060
Enthusiast - Level 3

You didn't know that Verizon has a very "strict update policy?"  Basically controlling the update process allows them to steer a customer towards the phones that, although subsidized, make them much more profit ("Droid" branded phones).  This way when someone comes in the store and sees the $99.99 Galaxy Nexus the salesperson can steer a customer to a cheaper phone. The Droid RAZR M and look it even has the same version of Android.  Verizon is in this game for one thing.... MONEY.  The Galaxy Nexus doesn't make Verizon much money.  Its not "Droid" branded, and doesn't have their money making bloat.  That gives them ZERO initiative to speed up their "strict update policy" (AKA Update control process to control profits).  This is why as soon as my contract is up I will be switching.

BTW I wish Google would just say "Forget Verizon here is the 4.2.1 update and factory image for 'toro' they are dragging their feet with to download." 

dcmed1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Everyone should stop doing business with Verizon, I am.

jberry711
Enthusiast - Level 1

i have had sprint t-mobile and now verizon so far in the last 2 years and if you think its bad here just hop on over to sprint where the network barely has any strength to stream a 2 minute video or tmobile where there fastest speed is half of what i get on VZW and its spotty while standing in the same dang spot and do we even have to say anything about AT&T. I have taken "warranty voiding procedures" with every android handset i have had , EVO4g, GalaxyS2/3, Razor, Wife's Note 2. the first thing to go is the crapware and then i spend months flashing radio after radio trying to get the best and most reliable signal. tried in Atlanta, Augusta Ga, Dallas tx, Killeen, Tx Miami, Fl and ya know this is the first time i ran into a device that i dont NEED to take advantage of just to gain respectable signal. Sure the svc is more expensive but you dont buy a corvette and complain about gas prices.

Not applicable

dcmed1 wrote:

Everyone should stop doing business with Verizon, I am.

Nope still getting my business.

0 Likes
gernerttl
Contributor - Level 1

And it starts again....*sigh*

dcmed1
Enthusiast - Level 3

You aren't too bright are you.

zombielove69
Contributor - Level 1

Verizon seems to be very cheap control freaks who only do the bare minimum with everything. They only put up the bare minimum of lte towers to claim they area is covered. They have a list of reasons not to update phones on how many sold, popularity, etc. Even if there is an update for the phone they don't have to update and have passed on updates for phones before if they "deem" it unworthy. Verizon has to pay for updates and pay for the testing of the updates and if the update falls into any category to Not update it, they won't.

After all these years of having smartphones you'd think verizon would get there crap together and and invest a little more for the update process just for the customer satisfaction alone. But they seem to be too cheap, and could care less as long as they get our money on time every month. How they were rated top carrier is beyond me with price gouging tiered data, delayed updates, dissatisfaction of customers, and abysmal 4G speeds. We pay for premium lte and don't get lte speeds in major cities here in St.Louis and Chicago. Chicago is worse than St.Louis with spotty coverage at best, and here in St.Louis we get 12 mbps up if we are lucky and 5 down, I average 10/5 daily which is the same as my home wifi.

I just hope Google partners with Dish because Dish is now approved to create a carrier with its spectrum, I hope a google carrier will be available when my contract is up.

0 Likes
DoctorDeDroid
Contributor - Level 2

<< Comment remove for violations of the >>

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes