Verizon store installing Jelly Bean on Galaxy Nexus?
jford32

I am not good with software and I feel like I'd mess it up because I'm not good with <Deleted>. Would I be able to bring in my galaxy nexus to a verizon store and have them install Jelly Bean onto it?

<Post edited to comply with the .>

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
Re: Verizon store installing Jelly Bean on Galaxy Nexus?
jreger
Enthusiast - Level 2

Unfortunately no, Jelly Bean will not be pushed out Over the Air until later, but if you keep you eye on the Android Blogs or twitter feeds, they will tell you when its on it way.  However, that is if VZW and Google play nice and let Google push it directly to you. 

>Post edited to comply with VZW ToS. Discussions concerning rooting/jailbreaking/hacking are not permitted on this forum<

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
wkavan02
Contributor - Level 1

Any Android device bearing the Nexus moniker is supposed to be a Google Experience Device, which means that it has a stock version of Android (i.e. what Google designed Android to be without any skins, bloatware, etc.) and that it gets the latest Android updates ASAP, so long as the hardware is powerful enough to run the latest version.

In the past year or so, however, this formula has become convoluted by the carriers and a little bit by the manufacturers too. This has been evidenced with the delays on the Nexus S update with Sprint, and with the ICS delays on the Galaxy Nexus.

A year ago, you would've been 100% certain that your Nexus device would be getting the newest Android OS as soon as Google deemed fit, but now, any semblance of certainty has been lost in the dank mire of bloatware greed that makes a mid-2000's Dell computer look like an Apple.

Our friend jreger is correct in saying that you won't be able to have Jellybean installed for you in a store by a Verizon employee because you won't need it. It will be VERY easy and, if all goes well, you'll barely have to do a thing when the OTA update gets pushed to your Galaxy Nexus. For your sake, I hope that all goes well and Google is allowed to push Jellybean directly to all Galaxy Nexus owners, regardless of carrier, but knowing how much Verizon likes controlling updates of software to phones on their network, I wouldn't bet on the Verizon version of the Galaxy Nexus receiving Jellybean in mid-July.

0 Likes
ERMarshall2
Enthusiast - Level 3

There is no way Verizon wont meddle with Jelly Bean, force it into endless testing, and causing a delay for the upgrade to reach those of us who were unfortunate enough to have the bad luck of buying this terrible phone

jreger
Enthusiast - Level 2

You have lost your mind if you think the Galaxy Nexus is a terrible phone?  what in the world do you not like about it?

ERMarshall2
Enthusiast - Level 3

you MUST work for Samsung, because there is no way you don't know about the design flaws that are causing everyone to report poor reception, data speeds, and battery life.

I live in a building with VZW antaneas on the roof, my 4G speeds are half that of my roommate who has an old droid charge

My battery drains to empty while its plugged into the AC outlet if Im streaming on 4G

The proximity sensor turns the screen on whe its close to my face instead of off

I could go on and on, and Ive had 6 replacements, each of them having the exact same issue (plus other defects as they were all refurbs)

0 Likes
jreger
Enthusiast - Level 2

I dont work for samsung, and you can check me out on Google+ and the thousands of others just like me who adore their Galaxy Nexus.

My coverage is horrible at my home, but anywhere else I go I am getting screaming speeds.  Everyone who comes to my home with all the other Android phones experience the same data garbage as I do. 

If you are experiencing reception problems you need a new phone, not a refurb.

As for the battery life.. welcome to 4G  its not new, its with every single 4G phone, thats not a Gnex problem.  why do you think Motorola came out with the Razr Maxx to give you twice the battery life, and they quote that at like 18 hours.. lol

ERMarshall2
Enthusiast - Level 3

Dont get me wrong ICS is amazing love the OS. But the hardware is severely flawed.  and if VZW would offer the Maxxx Id gladly have taken it in exchange, but they will only give me the old Droid Razr with 16GB of storage (I have a 32GB Nex).  So  there offer is not going to help at all, if anything its a big downgrade.

0 Likes
jreger
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm sorry your experience has been bad, but Im glad mine has been different!

JellyBean is amazing!

0 Likes
baldypal

i'm with you jreger! i love my gnexus. 4.0.4 solved any connection issues while on the phone. ERMarshall2, you are not the first person i've heard not pleased with the gnexus, but the others i personally know and dont like it, had different complaints which were all related to ICS User interface.

i'm very skeptical on how soon verizon will OTA Android 4.1. but i cannot wait. it's a nexus phone, give us what we were expecting when we got a nexus phone. FAST OTAs is what we expect!

0 Likes