Visual Voicemail App
lanunz
Enthusiast - Level 2

I recently changed phones to an unlocked Samsung Galaxy S20 that I purchased directly from Samsung.  All my apps transferred easily, except for the Verizon visual voicemail app.  It's not available in the google play store.  Premium Visual Voicemail has been part of my plan for years.  How do I get the app?  The uninformed chat reps say it doesn't work with unlocked phones.  But the Verizon FAQs say:

Can Visual Voicemail be used with any device?

Visual Voicemail is supported on all smartphones and select basic phones on standard accounts.

ALL SMARTPHONES.  Not just smartphones that are purchased through Verizon.

How do I get the app?

Labels (1)
49 Replies
Susan2020
Contributor - Level 1

@LB904 The visual voicemail native app was already on my Samsung device and I just set it up. When I had issues, I cleared data and cache then retry setup.

You can find it in the Samsung Galaxy Store too. Direct link here to install or open if already installed on your phone. 

https://apps.samsung.com/appquery/appDetail.as?appId=com.samsung.vvm&cId=000005061850

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

@lynn561

Which phone model do you have? If you are using the Visual Voicemail application to attempt to access your voicemail it will default to wanting to setup visual voicemail. If you just want to dial into your voicemail, you need to dial *86 to access and set up your voicemail (the basic non-visual voicemail version). 

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

lynn561
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have an unlocked Samsung S8 which is almost 2 years old.  Bought from BestBuy because Verizon did not have in stock.

Visual voicemail is not that important.  It is just annoying every time I go to voicemail, it puts an extra step in there.  This just started happening when I changed to a new plan, which was really the same plan under a different name and included loyalty discount. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Lynn561,

This is not the experience we want for you. We are here to help. Is the phone still ringing excessively?

ColinH_VZW

0 Likes
djvictor691
Enthusiast - Level 1

Agree totally.  Why isn't it a simple matter of downloading an app and it working?  I'd like someone to actually explain it to me, don't just give me a dismissive answer please.  I bought a Sony Xperia 5 because I refuse to buy Samsung products.  What are the technical reasons I can't install Verizon Visual Voicemail on my phone?

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

As already noted elsewhere in this thread or elsewhere in the community forum, the Verizon Visual Voicemail application is only available on Verizon Wireless branded phone models. Even then not all phones sold by Verizon Wireless have the ability to install the visual voicemail application. Some phones like the Apple iPhone models and the Google Pixel phones have their own version of a visual voicemail interface included with the OS. The unlocked models may or may not have a similar option. Some of the Android phones that aren't Google Pixels have incorporated the same visual voicemail feature on the Pixels and the Android OS into their phones.

Personally I would prefer a visual voicemail interface that isn't confined to a carrier or a specific phone operating system. 

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
ah42
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've been able to get VVM working on my unlocked Galaxy s10, but every time there is the slightest change to my account, the add-on option disappears from my account and it goes back to dial-in voicemail. I have to fight with customer service to get them to add it back to my account. This proves that VVM works fine on unlocked devices, but their reasoning behind blocking it is to force you to buy a Verizon branded phone. This is anti-consumer and there's no excuses for this.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Your feedback is appreciated, ah42. We are always looking for ways to improve our customer's experience. Please know you can always reach out to us through one of the channels in the link below to get assistance quickly:
http://spr.ly/6609HklGN

-GregL_VZW

0 Likes