Weak signal at home
suzigirl
Enthusiast - Level 2

Short of spending more money on top of the cost of my phone for a booster/repeater/whatever, is there anything I can do to improve the weak signal I have at home?  The levels go anywhere from -106 (no bars) at worst up to -93 (2 bars) at best.  Is there anything I can do to the phone to help it pull a stronger signal?  The signal is weakest by our computer, which is exactly where I prefer to use the phone. 

Comments?  Suggestions?

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Weak signal at home
AntonioC_VZW
Verizon Employee

suzigirl wrote:

Short of spending more money on top of the cost of my phone for a booster/repeater/whatever, is there anything I can do to improve the weak signal I have at home?  The levels go anywhere from -106 (no bars) at worst up to -93 (2 bars) at best.  Is there anything I can do to the phone to help it pull a stronger signal?  The signal is weakest by our computer, which is exactly where I prefer to use the phone. 

Comments?  Suggestions?

Hi suzigirl,

I understand your discontent and frustration regarding the issues with your wireless service in your house. As per your post, you want to know of a way to improve your wireless signal indoors besides the Network Extender option. Lamentably we cannot guarantee wireless service indoors due to different building structural materials that interfere with wireless signal and the only option we are able to provide to improve indoor service is the Network Extender.

For details on this device please visit the link below:

Network Extender General Info

View solution in original post

suzigirl
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've had other issues as well, including dropped calls (which may be due to the weak signal, though one happened when I was at a friend's house), failed texts, and now a voice mail that I received 4 hours AFTER it was left, and the phone never even rang!  This has happened twice.  I've commented on other threads and even posted my own message earlier today, but things just continue to build.  I'm thinking of asking for a different phone, even though I like the Fascinate.  I'm also concerned that I'll have to pay the difference between the new phone and the Fascinate.

Any VZW employees care to comment?

nickjr
Contributor - Level 3

suzigirl wrote:

I've had other issues as well, including dropped calls (which may be due to the weak signal, though one happened when I was at a friend's house), failed texts, and now a voice mail that I received 4 hours AFTER it was left, and the phone never even rang!  This has happened twice.  I've commented on other threads and even posted my own message earlier today, but things just continue to build.  I'm thinking of asking for a different phone, even though I like the Fascinate.  I'm also concerned that I'll have to pay the difference between the new phone and the Fascinate.

Any VZW employees care to comment?

I've had this problem also, I have voicemail and the phone was right next to me and never rang
AntonioC_VZW
Verizon Employee

suzigirl wrote:

Comments?  Suggestions?

Hi suzigirl,

I understand your discontent and frustration regarding the issues with your wireless service in your house. As per your post, you want to know of a way to improve your wireless signal indoors besides the Network Extender option. Lamentably we cannot guarantee wireless service indoors due to different building structural materials that interfere with wireless signal and the only option we are able to provide to improve indoor service is the Network Extender.

For details on this device please visit the link below:

Network Extender General Info

metal82a
Enthusiast - Level 2

Can you explain why my wife's old Motorola flip phone has better reception on our house than my HTC incredible?  Is this a normal problem for new phones?  My old flip phone had great reception in our house as well.  New HTC is terrible. Am I eligible for a free extender?

rcschnoor
Legend

metal82a wrote:

Am I eligible for a free extender?

No.

0 Likes
metal82a
Enthusiast - Level 2

Is this a poor design on the HTC then?  Are smart phones in general doomed with worse reception?

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

smaller phones = smaller antennas = weaker signal

Antennae design/performance has to improve to overcome the trend for smaller devices, which it obviously hasn't yet.

0 Likes
thornbeck
Enthusiast - Level 2

Open a Verizon Wireless technical support case and ask to have your address/area tested for signal strength.  If the results come back that you are in a "nominal coverage area", they "might" provide a Network Extender without charge.  I have one now. :smileywink:

Thanks,

Tim