Web browser question
monwarsec99
Contributor - Level 1

Not really a big deal but why is it when I go to the verizon newsroom on my phone I sometimes get a message saying that I'm using an unsupported browser click here to update (does nothing of course)? I don't always get the message but when I do it is only with the one site.

0 Likes
Re: Web browser question
10sEn
Contributor - Level 3

The notification that pops up is indicating that it doesn't recognize the mobile browsers as one of their supported browsers.  That's why you're getting that message.  The link is not to update, it's to show you their privacy policy and the list of supported browsers (i.e., Internet Explorer 6.x, 7.x, and 8.x; Mozilla Firefox 3.x; Chrome 8.x; and, Safari 5.x).

If you use Firefox for Mobile in desktop mode (you may need to download a spoofing add-on to do this), it won't give you this error message when you visit the site.  Hope that helps.

0 Likes
monwarsec99
Contributor - Level 1

Thanks for answering. I just use whatever came with the phone. Takes me a while to get the hang of new tech stuff. It's not a problem per se but just an interesting happening since it doesn't happen all the time.

0 Likes
10sEn
Contributor - Level 3

One thing I learned early is that you can customize your phone by downloading various apps.  No phone is perfect for everyone when you first buy it, but you can customize it to fit your needs.  If you're ever thinking, "I wish my phone would...", there's probably an app for that (aside from the ability to view Flash or Java content).

I have tried the stock browser, Miren, and Firefox for Mobile.  Of these, I like Miren for the speed of browsing, and Firefox for it's desktop browser spoofing capabilities.  But Firefox is slower when it first loads, compared to the other two, and it occasionally crashes on start-up.  It's still in beta testing mode.  But if you use Firefox on your home computer and Firefox for Mobile on your phone, you can sync your browsers.  So if you're viewing something at home, leave, but want to continue browsing from where you left off, you can do so on your phone.  Of course, since it will play neither Flash nor Java content on your mobile browser, there are some limitations.

Anyway, there are several browsers out there.  But the stock browser will allow you to surf the web fine.  Some of the ones that are rated better than 4 stars are Dolphin HD, Opera, and Miren.  I personally like Firefox for Mobile for the features it has, but it's not rated as highly as the other three.

0 Likes