What a Surprise Still No customer Service Reach Out from verizon
yoworm

T-mobile beats Verizon to Gingerbread.  Verizon does not even have the decency to apologize and give us a release date and they are taking the new every two **bleep** Sprint and AT&T are starting to look real good.

0 Likes
Re: What a Surprise Still No customer Service Reach Out from verizon
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

Last I heard, AT&T doesn't have Froyo on the Captivate and hasn't commented, not to mention they like locking down their android handsets.  And Sprint...well they're sprint.

0 Likes
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3
Then go to another carrier, though I have to say, there is something satisfying about dealing with a company that doesn't feel the need to jump on every gimmicky bandwagon, they know that their network speaks for itself. Wimax - fail, lets go LTE, iPhone - success, let's do it, android - success, let's do it, and blow it up big time. AT&T, even with the huge profits they had to have made from the iPhone still couldn't expand their 3G network to nearly what Verizon's is, and is just starting to talk about 4G. Sprint usually gets there first, but is quickly left behind. I really don't think that we need another "waaa, my Fascinate doesn't have Froyo" thread here, everybody knows you don't have it. If you feel the need to do something drastic about it, then do it, coming in here and spring ay the rafters isn't going to change anything.
0 Likes
M91-30
Contributor - Level 1

yoworm wrote:

T-mobile beats Verizon to Gingerbread.  Verizon does not even have the decency to apologize and give us a release date and they are taking the new every two **bleep** Sprint and AT&T are starting to look real good.

not gingerbread, froyo.

0 Likes
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3
Actually, T-Mo had both first, because they carry the Google developers phones, the Nexus 1 and Nexus S, and I'm sure they don't want to change their carrier every time they get a new one, as well as being a big company that is trying to keep their overhead down.
0 Likes
steveanderson13
Contributor - Level 2

yoworm wrote:

Hold up,, little lady.  You want someone to apologize for Gingerbread?  And that is decency?  It is absurd because first you are probably talking about Samsung Galaxy S update which is not Gingerbread which you probably have posted many times on already and there is nothing anyone can do so why worry yourself to death?  TMobile users STARTED yesterday; did they have the first Galaxy?  No one, not Tmobile, not Verizon, no one has talked about it until Thursday.  Don't know why and can't do anything about it. The Froyo update rolling out is probably a good sign.  I don't think Samsung ever gave a release date and I don't know what the hold up was.  Was it slow?  To me, it was.  You did not lose your NE2 that you have.  You will not get another one, though.  Sprint just raised their prices.  AT&T, how you going to make it on 2gig if you stream?  I think Sprint is also eliminating upgrade discounts, I read today.  Everybody is going up--that is the way it is.  Oh, and Tmobile was also first--they had the G1--you wouldn't want that now.

0 Likes
yoworm

isnt the nexus s on tmobile it comes with gingerbread

0 Likes
yoworm

Steve

I may be mistaken but I think the Nexus S is on Gingerbread and that phone is on T-mobile.  Now as far as I know Verizon did not and does not have a phone for sale at the time the Nexus S was sold therefore they beat them to having Gingerbread.  Verizon customers with the Fascinate are still on eclair (2.1).  

It was stated that T-Mobile had Froyo Since November and it took this long to get it out.  T-Mobile and Samsung stated they wanted to make sure they did adequate testing time.  While many speculate the christmas season and the release of new phones was the cause of the delay.  

Time and time again we see young developers from XDA release ROMs days after a leaked version is out on the internet.  It seems unacceptable that an entire IT department would take two plus months.  

It is absurd because first you are probably talking about Samsung Galaxy S update which is not Gingerbread which you probably have posted many times on already and there is nothing anyone can do so why worry yourself to death? 

I am well aware that the Galaxy S is waiting for FROYO but I was merely pointing out how the Fascinate is two operating systems behind and we have already heard rumors that Google is working on a system which may be named ice cream sandwich.  I was also stating that although none of us wants to wait we would be less angry at this extended delay with the FROYO update if Verizon came out and Said we are sorry for the delay we had an unexpected problem and we are working diligently to get you your long awaited update.  It took 4 months for them to release a DL09 and that was a fix for a phone that did not perform as advertised. It is not about worry myself to death it is about the fact that we as customers are not being treated well.  

Every one wants to defend Verizon and say just be patient but I would be interested to see your response when you sit down for dinner at a restaurant and you have to wait 2 to 3 hours for your food.  I can't speak for you but I am going to go out on a limb and assume you may ask to speak to a manager about the extended delay in getting your food.  I then think you may tell your friends of the horrible service and you may decide not to eat at that same establishment again.  I think that is what I am doing.  I am exercising my right to point out sub par service.

No one, not Tmobile, not Verizon, no one has talked about it until Thursday.

T-Mobile started rolling out, Sprint noticed T-Mobile rolled it out and knew this would be an issue and was proactive and addressed the public.  No they were not specific as to what the hold up was and they did not give a release date but that was still more than Verizon did. 

Sprint just raised their prices.

I do not know how much they raised their prices however it was 69.99 for unlimited everything plus weekends and nights starting at 7 instead of 9.  The closest thing verizon has to that is 89.99 unlimited talk and text +29.99 unlimited data therefore I imagine Sprint would of had to raised their prices significantly to come close to the 119.98 that Big Red charges.

0 Likes
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

yoworm wrote:

Steve

I may be mistaken but I think the Nexus S is on Gingerbread and that phone is on T-mobile.  Now as far as I know Verizon did not and does not have a phone for sale at the time the Nexus S was sold therefore they beat them to having Gingerbread.  Verizon customers with the Fascinate are still on eclair (2.1).  

Again, the only reason T-Mo got the Nexus S is because Google decided it, that decision probably had very little to do with T-Mobile and more to do with Google having a corporate account with them.  And, NOBODY ELSE has an official Gingerbread build for any of their Phones.

It was stated that T-Mobile (Nexus 1, see reasoning above) had Froyo Since November and it took this long to get it out.  T-Mobile and Samsung (Who is notoriously bad at updates, regardless of carrier) stated they wanted to make sure they did adequate testing time.  While many speculate the christmas season and the release of new phones was the cause of the delay.  

Time and time again we see young developers from XDA release ROMs days after a leaked version is out on the internet.  It seems unacceptable that an entire IT department would take two plus months.  

While the developers at XDA are amazing, they don't have to concern themselves with bloat and extensive testing, as well as having a personal knowledge of the code and their preferred phones, instead of having to work with a team, on multiple phones at once.  While Gingerbread was out for my phone (the Eris) within hours of the SDK being released (mad props to punk.kaos), it is still not even close to where a carrier would feel comfortable releasing it, and probably won't be at least until other phones have it.

It is absurd because first you are probably talking about Samsung Galaxy S update which is not Gingerbread which you probably have posted many times on already and there is nothing anyone can do so why worry yourself to death? 

I am well aware that the Galaxy S is waiting for FROYO but I was merely pointing out how the Fascinate is two operating systems behind and we have already heard rumors that Google is working on a system which may be named ice cream sandwich.  I was also stating that although none of us wants to wait we would be less angry at this extended delay with the FROYO update if Verizon came out and Said we are sorry for the delay we had an unexpected problem and we are working diligently to get you your long awaited update.  It took 4 months for them to release a DL09 (which broke lockscreen emergency calling by the way, BOO Samsung) and that was a fix for a phone that did not perform as advertised. It is not about worry myself to death it is about the fact that we as customers are not being treated well.  

Every one wants to defend Verizon and say just be patient but I would be interested to see your response when you sit down for dinner at a restaurant and you have to wait 2 to 3 hours for your food This analogy only applies if you have to wait to get the phone itself.  I can't speak for you but I am going to go out on a limb and assume you may ask to speak to a manager about the extended delay in getting your food You got your food, it's not Verizon's fault that you ordered the wrong dessert.  If you wanted Frozen Yogurt, you should have ordered a meal that came with it, not one that came with an Eclar.  I then think you may tell your friends of the horrible service and you may decide not to eat at that same establishment again.  I think that is what I am doing.  I am exercising my right to point out sub par service.  Good for you, I don't care.

No one, not Tmobile, not Verizon, no one has talked about it until Thursday.

T-Mobile started rolling out, Sprint noticed T-Mobile rolled it out and knew this would be an issue and was proactive and addressed the public.  No they were not specific as to what the hold up was and they did not give a release date but that was still more than Verizon did. Which is Verizon's MO, everybody knew that the Eris was getting Eclair (though not when, exactly) months before it started rolling out.  I got an email from Verizon a week (or more) after the OTA was pushed to my phone telling me that I was getting it.

Sprint just raised their prices.

I do not know how much they raised their prices however it was 69.99 for unlimited everything plus weekends and nights starting at 7 instead of 9.  The closest thing verizon has to that is 89.99 unlimited talk and text +29.99 unlimited data therefore I imagine Sprint would of had to raised their prices significantly to come close to the 119.98 that Big Red charges.

You get what you pay for. (Edit: and you didn't pay for Froyo, no matter what people may tell you)

0 Likes
steveanderson13
Contributor - Level 2

Hi, yoworm

Yes, Tmobile released the Nexus S with Gingerbread.  It is hyperbole to claim Verizon should have the decency to apologize for this.  First and foremost, phone releases are always changing.  I do not think this anything to be upset about.  I judge coverage, service and pricing to be first and phones last.  But to each his own.  I've always been happy with my phones; I still have a Samsung cheapy that has performed well; but some people want the latest and greatest and are never satisfied with what they have.  Nothing can or will change this.  

Google, the manufacturers, and the carriers in my estimation have had long-term agreements and strategies about the phones releases. Since success was never assured, Android started out small and cautiously, releasing a dev phone, the G1, on the smallest carrier, T-Mobile, roughly two and a half years ago.  It could have flopped.  Being neither a phone geek nor T-Mobile customer, I had never heard of G1 until I was near eligible for an upgrade and began doing research on phones.  Though Google and the Android Open Source Project and the Alliance were in the news once in a while ever since it started several years, it was nothing to me since I was a Verizon subscriber.  Well, luckily for me, the Droid was to be released six weeks after my eligibility.  So I researched that and it appeared very promising in many respects.  I had no experience with smartphones.  Well, Verizon launched it and Verizon was a very large part of Android's success in the U.S.; it has succeeded well all over the world also.  Look at Android the year before Verizon and the year after Verizon.  It's been a big difference.  Then after the Droid, there were rumors of a Google phone. Nobody believed it--it would be tantamount to Google stabbing everyone in the back.  But the Nexus One was released--and where?  On T-Mobile. Then it "flopped".  And now the Nexus S has been released.  With Gingerbread.  On T-Mobile.  And many are not too impressed.  It's a lot more competitive now than it used to be.  But does anyone really know what the Nexus is?  Only Google and perhaps some manufacturers and carriers in the Alliance know   I still think it is an experiment to try different things.  It makes a lot more sense to experiment on T-Mobile than Verizon.   And perhaps Verizon wasn't interested.  Which brings us up to today--many, many phones are available, there will be a lot of growing pains and the market is changing much and rapidly.  iPhone is on Verizon, LTE is here and new phones are coming out, tablets are out and your pc may soon be obsolete.  OS' s are changing, Windows may go bust, who knows.  Anyway, froyo and gingerbread will be on many phones and honeycomb, too.  That is certain but no schedule is.

Many phones are released today with 2.1.  AT&T released many with 1.5 even recently.  It's difficult to explain all that, ok?  it just happens.  whatever is, is.  The developers at XDA do not have account to millions of people and their users accept those limitations.  Bugs happen there, too, but they are accepted.  They also do not have to pay any employees or give you any coverage or warranty.  XDA has a very limited focus;  I do not doubt their expertise or utility; but comparing their ROMS releases to a manufacturer schedule is futile and absurd.  You are right, with the Galaxy S, the Froyo rollout was released earlier in other parts of the world.  That was Samsung's release schedule which is beyond our control.  The entire world was not done at one time.  

The

As for the update itself and the controversy, it is more emotional than anything else.  Nearly every release has been called minor or incremental by Android themselves.  It's all available here:

http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html

What it says in brief:  Android 1.5 is a major platform release...Android 1.6 is a minor platform release...  Android 2.1 is a minor platform release.,,  Android 2.2 is a minor platform release....It doesn't reference major or minor on 2.3 Gingerbread.  Each one has added some features and evolved.  Some are important to individual users such as voice activated bluetooth dialing which is in 2.2 and which I never got.  Nav came out in 1.6 and to me that was a big deal.  But for the most part, it is better to take it with a grain of salt.  Nothing is life changing.  Some people are downright disappointed when they get it and regret it (read other forums).  You can use your experience to affect your next buying decision.  But nothing Android or a manufacturer does has any bearing on a carrier or your relationship there.  I don't want to defend Verizon though I've been happy and it should not take four months to get your GPS fixed.  That is in my opinion a defect and not related to an update and not related to Verizon.  I agree with you that public statements by Verizon would have been better--except that if they had promised ANYTHING, they would be hung by now.  Verizon is historically quiet and doesn't say anything until they know for sure.  You cannot compare waiting on a meal and waiting on an update.  Your analogies are funny.  Even though you can expect a meal, if they don't deliver, you don't pay and you don't go back.  You didn't lose anything except some time because you didn't pay them. But they were open for business and offered you a meal and didn't deliver.  But since they didn't deliver, you didn't pay them.  How is an update the same?  First of all, it isn't necessary, it can't be promised even if it is, you're not out anything if you don't get it, and it's not that great even if you do get it and it didn't cost anything.  And it is complex to boot.  Of course, you and everyone else has the right to complain and you and everyone really should let the carriers and manufacturers know that it matters to you.  Just not repeatedly here and in unreasonable terms, please.  I would think letters and email would be much more effective.  

You of course have to base your carrier decision on many factors as you should--but I think you would shortchange yourself to base it on an update.  But the fact that I do see owners updating (by PC by the way, not OTA) at TMobile may be a good sign for everyone.  I just hope everyone will be satisfied by it.  But of course they won't.  

0 Likes