When is wifi used?
iblguy

My Galaxy Nexus is my first smart phone, and I am coming up to speed. When does the phone use an available WIFI network instead of the Verizon 4G? I have WIFI turned on and connected to my local WIFI network, but I do not know how to tell if it is being used. Does the operating system default to WIFI for web activity? Do I have to do anything other than turn WIFI on and connect in order to take advantage of the WIFI network? Thanks is advance for any advice and information.

0 Likes
Re: When is wifi used?
weverette
Enthusiast - Level 2

Whenevr you want or need, the phone doesnt care, but you're data plan may. if you are on a tiered data plan, use wifi whenever you can.

0 Likes
drfitn3ss

Yes, the phone will default to wifi usage when it's turned on. This is for any application that uses internet access. When wifi is on and connected, the only time your data connection is used is when making/receiving a call or texts.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

You can also turn off the data (cellular) radio to prevent any accidentally use of cellular data connection when you are in range of a wifi network.

Unless the wifi connection has its sleep policy set to never, the wifi connection can turn off 10-15 minutes after the phone's screen is turned off which will reactivate the cellular data connection.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
iblguy

Thanks

Kurt

0 Likes