Re: So Disappointed!!
ARossetter
Contributor - Level 1

krewemaynard wrote:

ARossetter wrote:

Froyo has been available to those industrious enough to find it for a couple months now. Google "XDA" and find their Fascinate forums. You'll find all the resources you need there.

Yes, I am well aware of XDA, custom ROMs, etc. I'm talking about official updates here. I'm not going to root *my wife's* phone. Mine, maybe, but not hers. Suggesting that people root and install a third party ROM is akin to someone requesting a feature in a Linux forum and being told to RTFM or "write it yourself." It doesn't solve the problem and it's kinda rude.

As for the March 2 release date: I'll gladly file that under "believe it when I see it." I also hear dates in November, December, January, and most recently Feb. 24. You'll forgive me if I'm a bit skeptical.

I'm sorry, how is trying to please the **bleep** off masses by ensuring them that there is another option for Froyo rude? Why are you even here? This is a community forum, not Verizon support. Verizon employees don't have a significant presence here aside from moderating posts, so all you're going to get is what the community can provide. 

So with that, let me formally apologize to you specifically for trying to point you in a direction where you can get an Android 2.2 update to your phone. And with regards to the "RTFM" comment, I'd be happy to hold your hand through the entire process, but the forum rules prohibit discussing modding or hacking your phone here. However, you may have correctly guessed that I *DO* have an XDA account, and I *DO* post there, and I *CAN* answer specific questions in that forum.

Please don't bring hate to people trying to help.

0 Likes
krewemaynard

ARossetter wrote:

I'm sorry, how is trying to please the **bleep** off masses by ensuring them that there is another option for Froyo rude? Why are you even here? This is a community forum, not Verizon support. Verizon employees don't have a significant presence here aside from moderating posts, so all you're going to get is what the community can provide. 

So with that, let me formally apologize to you specifically for trying to point you in a direction where you can get an Android 2.2 update to your phone. And with regards to the "RTFM" comment, I'd be happy to hold your hand through the entire process, but the forum rules prohibit discussing modding or hacking your phone here. However, you may have correctly guessed that I *DO* have an XDA account, and I *DO* post there, and I *CAN* answer specific questions in that forum.

Please don't bring hate to people trying to help.

lol "hate." I love how disagreeing with someone is "hate." I don't know you, I'm not mad at you, and I certainly don't "hate" you.

I don't need any hand holding, thank you. I'm perfectly capable of rooting. I choose in this case to wait for the official OTA update, which is what I thought this thread was about, and which is not officially available in the US.

I'm not looking for tech support. Don't need it. I'm here to express my disappointment at Samsung and Verizon for the seemingly endless Froyo delays. Many people were sold this phone with a promise of a Froyo update within a certain time period. That time came and went. I know you can get Froyo through unofficial channels. Again I choose--as do many-- to wait for the official OTA update. I do not think that my comments will help speed the process. But it is comforting to me and others to know that we are not alone in our frustration. 

You said this earlier [emphasis mine]: "If you don't like the pace of updates, take matters into your own hands (Just don't blame me if you fail to follow instructions and turn your phone into a $600 paperweight)." What if I don't want to take that chance? What if I don't want to void my warranty? It's great that you have an XDA account and can root your own phone. I really appreciate the XDA devs and community; I may root my Incredible one day, and I am thankful that there is a group dedicated to hacking Android phones. But the fact is, the official Fascinate update has been completely flubbed, and I am disappoint.

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

krewemaynard wrote:

You said this earlier [emphasis mine]: "If you don't like the pace of updates, take matters into your own hands (Just don't blame me if you fail to follow instructions and turn your phone into a $600 paperweight)." What if I don't want to take that chance? What if I don't want to void my warranty? It's great that you have an XDA account and can root your own phone. I really appreciate the XDA devs and community; I may root my Incredible one day, and I am thankful that there is a group dedicated to hacking Android phones. But the fact is, the official Fascinate update has been completely flubbed, and I am disappoint.

It's VERY VERY unlikely that you end up with a paperweight.  Some things may be a little more difficult to recover from than others but that is mostly the case of people not following directions.  Generally things can be cleared up by simply clearing data/cache.  It literally takes 2 downloads and one click of the mouse to have 2.2.  As for voided warranty, what verizon don't know won't hurt 'em as going back to stock is a simple as another download and mouse click.  And the ironic thing is that you're more likely to run into an issue with an OTA "official" update than one from the development community where you have a way to go back if you're unhappy. 

0 Likes
M91-30
Contributor - Level 1

I'm not canadian, though everyone thinks I am, for various reasons, thus the icon. installing froyo, as said, is harmless, incredibly unlikely to leave your device in a state that cannot be worked with. also, you can ALWAYS go back to stock, leaving the phone looking 100% original to the techs.

0 Likes
ARossetter
Contributor - Level 1

krewemaynard wrote:

lol "hate." I love how disagreeing with someone is "hate." I don't know you, I'm not mad at you, and I certainly don't "hate" you.

Sorry, that was not meant to indicate that one person hates another. It was the context I (apparently incorrectly) read into it.

I did misread your post a bit, I think, and I do aplogize for that. Unfortuntely, the update for this phone is still a ways out from the looks of it (and if it is anything like the Epic's update, we probably don't want it anyway). And I wrote that $600 paperweight comment more to cover my own behind, mainly because I wouldn't want someone coming at me because "I told them to do it". Fact is, it really isn't that difficult to do, improves performance, provides a cleaner user experience, and allows for additional functionality. I agree that it does suck that Verizon can't approve a Froyo release, but honestly, the mod crowd does a better job anyway IMO, because their motivations are about improving the phone, not making money off of it.

So yeah, sorry again for my rather rude reaction to your post.

0 Likes
ARossetter
Contributor - Level 1

And yeah, thanks to Odin, there is a very small chance that you could ever do something permanently bad to the Fascinate. 

0 Likes
nickjr
Contributor - Level 3

I also was extremely disappointed in not getting the update, I was looking forward in being able to listen to my "bible study" on my phone via the internet and with the d/l adobe flash player which now am unable. I also noticed several apps I would like to have on my phone but am not able since it requires version 2.2.

0 Likes
notgoodenough
Enthusiast - Level 2

That was really nice of you to apologize. This is a community after all. I've noticed that there are some who are jerks in answering replies. I don't think alot of us who are disappointed are whiners... it's just out of frustration that's why alot of us are this way. I know you like your phone and I'm happy that you're happy with your phone. I guess the reason you went for a root canal is because you didn't want to get stuck with the eclair. I am not ready for a root canal just yet and would rather wait for an official release. I'm not demanding it but it would be nice if they would give out one. I just hope samsung would just say the word that an update is not coming so we can make a decision for ourselves what to do next.

So do you think it's wrong for owners of FASCINATE to expect updates when everyone knows that other companies like motorola and htc already gave out updates to their phones?
0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

WARNING: WORDS skip to the end for summary

I got an Android device for just that purpose.  After having a Storm and pretty much living on leaks and hybrids I decided my next device would be something I had more control over and I wouldn't be held hostage by Verizon or the manufacturer.  The openness and development community made Android a no-brainer.  As much as I absolutely despise Apple and everything they stand for, I would've gone to an iPhone if I wanted something that I had no intentions of taking to the dentist.  imho Android isn't for the average user.  There's just too many little quirks and annoyances that will drive a normal person crazy.

Before I got an OG Droid, I did roughly 2 months of research and venturing into pretty much every Android-centric forum I could find to determine exactly what it was capable of and ETF'd out of my Storm contract and got the Droid in Jan 2010.  I'm currently in IT and majored in Computer Science and the thought of the things required in the dental chair was enough to make me skeptical on whether I should proceed.  Even 4 months after its initial release, the process was still rather tedious and made me have doubts but I dove in and after 3 tries all was a success.  The funny thing is that if I had waited a couple more days it would've been as simple as downloading an app and hitting a button. :facepalm:  The development community behind the Droid was massive and there was pretty much nothing it couldn't do.  Heck, I even ran a SenseUI rom for a while on it eventhough 3G data wouldn't work.

Fast forward to September and even with the likes of the Incredible and Droid X, the Fascinate was the only thing that pretty much made me want it in the store.  The screen was top notch and Touchwiz was much more enjoyable and user friendly than motoblur and while I'm a huge fan of SenseUI, the Incredible just didn't wow me.  I had heard the horror stories of Samsung update support and gps issues so I knew what I was getting into and was counting on the development community to pull through.  Development has gone rather slow with the lack of Samsung release source and the horrible deeply integrated Touchwiz compared to the Droid which was an open device and truly stock google experience with no encumbering UI.  We're finally getting to the point that the potential is being unlocked and hopefully Samsung's recent openness with release source for the Vibrant and Epic means even better things to come.  Support from the development community is and will most likely always be significantly better than anything any of the carriers and manufacturers offer.

tl;dr I use an Android device for the sole purpose of deviating from stock.  Android isn't for everyone and will eventually drive a lot of people nuts regardless of the manufacturer.

0 Likes
krewemaynard

ARossetter wrote:

krewemaynard wrote:

Sorry, that was not meant to indicate that one person hates another. It was the context I (apparently incorrectly) read into it.

I did misread your post a bit, I think, and I do aplogize for that. Unfortuntely, the update for this phone is still a ways out from the looks of it (and if it is anything like the Epic's update, we probably don't want it anyway). And I wrote that $600 paperweight comment more to cover my own behind, mainly because I wouldn't want someone coming at me because "I told them to do it". Fact is, it really isn't that difficult to do, improves performance, provides a cleaner user experience, and allows for additional functionality. I agree that it does suck that Verizon can't approve a Froyo release, but honestly, the mod crowd does a better job anyway IMO, because their motivations are about improving the phone, not making money off of it.

So yeah, sorry again for my rather rude reaction to your post.

Thanks. :smileyhappy: I don't mean to be rude. I am unhappy with this whole situation, but not with you or any other user. Let's shake hands and play nice now. :smileyhappy:

0 Likes