So Disappointed!!
keikei9

I am so disappointed with Verizon and Samsungs delay in upgrading the Fascinate to 2.2. I would never have gotten the phone if I had known it would take this long. I called Verizon before upgrading to the Fascinate and was told the phone would have 2.2 within the next month.(Purchased October 1st.) Verizon constantly thanks us for our patience when in reality we have no choice. I am not being patient...I am angry and I have no choice in the matter. Galaxy S owners should have been given the option to switch their phones to something else with no interruption to their contracts.There is absolutely no excuse for this and if Verizon really cared about their customers this would be done!!

0 Likes
Re: So Disappointed!!
M91-30
Contributor - Level 1

you are being very unreasonable. verizon is not obligated to give you a certain OS version, and they are not obligated to give you a different phone when they don't meet your unreasonable demands. WHO WOULD BE DUMB ENOUGH TO BUY A PHONE WITH A VERSION OF AN OS THEY WERE UNHAPPY WITH? I bought the phone because I was happy with it as is. also, FROYO IS AVAILABLE, GO GET IT!!

0 Likes
Re: Where the heck is 2/22 Froyo update
BBer

THe problem is not that 2.2 has not been released, but the problem is the lack of communication by Verizon and Samsung.  Don't blame the sales people or Samsung stock replies, they are going by what they are instructed to do.  Until Verizon or Samsung corporates release any details, everything else is just a rumor.  I have been told by two stores that 2.2 would be out in February, but really did not believe either since one said first week of Feb. and the other said by the end of Feb..  While Verizon is not obligated to release any updates, most people buy android phones expecting upgrades.  If  2.2 is not going to be released for some time I think a lot of this complaining and whining would end if the corporate leaders of these companies would just come out and say it, instead of hiding behind stock replies and employee rumors. 

0 Likes
notgoodenough
Enthusiast - Level 2

You nailed it. You are right on the money. Corporate leaders from VERIZON and SAMSUNG need to come out and say if an update is coming out or not. It's true they are not obligated to release an update but if customers knew this right from the start, I don't think they would buy this phone in the first place. I know there are alot of Fascinate fanatics out there but for the rest of us it would help in making the right decision had we known no update is coming. Come on if people know that when they're buying hardware, software and any peripherals  and it won't be upgradeable do you think they would buy such product.

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

Verizon has never been about transparency.  Just look at the Thunderbolt fiasco.  

0 Likes
krewemaynard

M91-30 wrote:

you are being very unreasonable. verizon is not obligated to give you a certain OS version, and they are not obligated to give you a different phone when they don't meet your unreasonable demands. WHO WOULD BE DUMB ENOUGH TO BUY A PHONE WITH A VERSION OF AN OS THEY WERE UNHAPPY WITH? I bought the phone because I was happy with it as is. also, FROYO IS AVAILABLE, GO GET IT!!

Judging by your icon, you're Canadian. Froyo hasn't hit the US. 

As for who would be "dumb enough," I agree to a point. The salesman put a strong sell on the Fascinate. Truth be told, it's a pretty phone, and it works pretty well (other than having Bing and no Google option. I mean, Bing. Really? But I digress...). The problem I and others have is that when we asked about a 2.2 upgrade, we were told AS FAR BACK AS OCTOBER that it was coming "by the end of the month." There was no ambiguity, no doubt, no "maybe," nothing but the assurance that yes, that phone WILL BE UPGRADED. I'm glad you have Froyo. Really, I'm happy for you. WE DON'T HAVE IT after nearly 6 months of being told that it's coming "soon." I hope you, Samsung, and Verizon can appreciate how maddening that is. 

The best thing Samsung and Verizon can do right now is not to give us more hollow assurances, but tell us WHY there has been such a delay. Be honest with us. Stop patting us on the head and telling us it'll all be fine. Tell us what's going on, where the process stands today, and give us a clear timeline based on that information. Anything short of that is unacceptable. 

0 Likes
ARossetter
Contributor - Level 1

krewemaynard wrote:

M91-30 wrote:

Judging by your icon, you're Canadian. Froyo hasn't hit the US. 

Froyo has been available to those industrious enough to find it for a couple months now. Google "XDA" and find their Fascinate forums. You'll find all the resources you need there.

0 Likes
techlife2

Samsung is being as transparent as any other company under similar circumstances.  They have said they will release the upgrade (Froyo 2.2) just as soon as they have completed "additional testing". As to how long that will be, do you want me to start another rumor?  Okay, the new release date will be: (drum roll please) .....March 2, 2011. Okay, now I have given you a little piece of "hope" that you can carry around but, don't take it to the bank! I truly feel the pain for I am one of the many who suffers with Eclair in my face.  As to considering the alternative method of loading Froyo - I am not tech savvy enough to follow the instructions over at Android Central or XDA (what language do the use? - Has anyone, with limited technical skills, ever tried to load EB01and failed?)    

0 Likes
krewemaynard

FWIW, I just got an HTC Incredible last week (free at Best Buy with a 2-year, w00t!). I LOVE it. It's "older" than the Fascinate, but it's running 2.2. Go figure.

0 Likes
krewemaynard

ARossetter wrote:

Froyo has been available to those industrious enough to find it for a couple months now. Google "XDA" and find their Fascinate forums. You'll find all the resources you need there.

Yes, I am well aware of XDA, custom ROMs, etc. I'm talking about official updates here. I'm not going to root *my wife's* phone. Mine, maybe, but not hers. Suggesting that people root and install a third party ROM is akin to someone requesting a feature in a Linux forum and being told to RTFM or "write it yourself." It doesn't solve the problem and it's kinda rude.

As for the March 2 release date: I'll gladly file that under "believe it when I see it." I also hear dates in November, December, January, and most recently Feb. 24. You'll forgive me if I'm a bit skeptical.

0 Likes