Re: Why Update To Froyo!
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

But you can bet they're going to test and make sure it works flawlessly on their hardware.  And I think it's probably more than a simple copy and paste the way they have things tied together.  Backup assistant is tied to multiple things, verizon location services is useless to have turned on if you only use google maps since apparently it's only functional with VZ nav along with various other things.

0 Likes
Agringo
I want to go to apple... at least I won't have to constantly wait for updates that never come. I switched to verizon because I thought they were better. I will be making a change soon and it will not be with verizon. I bought a xoom which is nice but it also needs updates! I am returning it today and dumping my cell phone for one that has an updated OS. Goodbye verizon!
0 Likes
TedKord
Contributor - Level 1

M91-30 wrote:

my omnia 2 was perfectly usable using touchwiz, and as we have already established, putting the "vz" labeled software on these phones is a copy and paste operation, not some mystically long and drawn out process.

I can't speak for you, but for me TouchWIZ was laggy, and locked up often out of the box. And I know from reading online forums outside of here, that I am not in the minority. TouchWIZ is an awful UI, and it saps the strength out of the O2.

0 Likes
Droidbotics
Yeah, heard that they going to push out Gingerbread overseas this month.Why wouldn't they go head and make it available
to the U.S. market? Everybody can pretty much agree if we was to get Froyo then everybody would start complaining about not having Gingerbread.
0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

Droidbotics wrote:
Why wouldn't they go head and make it available to the U.S. market? 

For the same reason they didn't push it out to the US last October.  

0 Likes
Droidbotics
Good point, besides the rumors we really haven't t had an official statement explaining the delay. Getting a statement out of Verizon is like teaching a rock to talk.
0 Likes
TedKord
Contributor - Level 1

PJNC284 wrote:

For the same reason they didn't push it out to the US last October.  

Because Samsung is sooooooo sloooooooow with updates that they're usually two versions behind?

My theory is Samsung had no intentions of upgrading the US Galaxy S models to Froyo, and only the recent public outcry made them start developing it. Samsung puts together greta hardware, but their software support is lackluster, to say the least.

0 Likes
M91-30
Contributor - Level 1

really? lackluster software? that's why samsung's release of eclair has most of the fuctions of froyo that very few android phones got until froyo? a lot of you complaining because these phones don't have froyo have never had the chance to compare samsun's eclair to froyo fairly side by side. either that, or you just don't understand how little difference there is between the two.

if you think samsung's froyo is bad, try a motorola or htc on eclair (or cupcake, because a lot of their phones never moved past cupcake), then complain about how bad your samsung is.

0 Likes
gsp10
Still Never going to buy another samsung again
0 Likes
Question
Fascinatin

{edited to comply with Terms of Service} will downloading that update mean that the existing "bloatware" that is currently on my phone no longer be there, and 3. how would I go about backing up my data before downloading that update?

Thanks!

0 Likes